Royal Navy Dockyard Museum, Portsmouth (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
As I booked into Adam Morey for a clutch fluid change and kiss point adjustment I booked for a weekend in Portsmouth.

I bought senior tickets for the RN Historic Dockyard Museum which are valid for a year.

There are ships to climb all over like Victory, Mary Rose, Warrior & the submarine Alliance, along with museums, boat sheds, water taxis over to Gosport for the submarine museum and The Explosives and Ordinance Museum at Priddys Hard where the Great Gunpowder Magazine was built in 1761 to hold barrels with 250 tons of gunpowder. Also the night hunters sheds devoted to the motor torpedo boat squadrons and their work in WWI & WWII. All munitions and guns from pistols, rifles, machine guns, Gatling guns and big ship guns, mines, torpedoes, missiles and even a couple of nuclear bombs.

We spent the best part of 2 days rushing to get through it all. There are cafes, bars & restaurants everywhere for meals & refreshments.

Full marks to the RN, an excellent multi museum attraction. Well worth a visit

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
As I booked into Adam Morey for a clutch fluid change and kiss point adjustment I booked for a weekend in Portsmouth.

I bought senior tickets for the RN Historic Dockyard Museum which are valid for a year.

There are ships to climb all over like Victory, Mary Rose, Warrior & the submarine Alliance, along with museums, boat sheds, water taxis over to Gosport for the submarine museum and The Explosives and Ordinance Museum at Priddys Hard where the Great Gunpowder Magazine was built in 1761 to hold barrels with 250 tons of gunpowder. Also the night hunters sheds devoted to the motor torpedo boat squadrons and their work in WWI & WWII. All munitions and guns from pistols, rifles, machine guns, Gatling guns and big ship guns, mines, torpedoes, missiles and even a couple of nuclear bombs.

We spent the best part of 2 days rushing to get through it all. There are cafes, bars & restaurants everywhere for meals & refreshments.

Yes a cracking place for a day out we are lucky as only 15 minutes drive for us to go and as it’s valid for a year it’s a bonus.
Did the Victory last year first time since being at school😁

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
HMS Warrior Queen Victoria’s ironclad steam & sail battleship, 418 feet long with a retractable propeller that took 400 men to raise. 4.5 inch armour plating!

IMG_2469.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

You can also get a free trip across the harbour to the Submarine Museum and a walk through a sub. Excellent value if visiting Portsmouth. In addition if in the area the Royal Armories Museum a big site up on the Ridge with great views of Pompey Harbour is well worth a visit with plenty to see. Free entry and MH Friendly but on occasions do have someone collecting parking money!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yep you're right. Two days is not nearly enough time to see it all.
We keep going back and enjoying a exhibit and another day. Park up somewhere out of town and catch the bus right up to the gates

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We really must get down there again.The only time we go to Portsmouth is to catch the ferry to Spain. So thanks for the information . What is the price for to old gits.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I haven't been as Mrs. Odd has no interest, anyone with a SO or PO postcode can get a discount, I had planned to take FIL but he is too frail now 😢

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
can you park a motorhome in the car park, I thought there were height barriers and also at park and ride

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
The boat trip around the harbour is great, especially if there are naval vessels in port.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Had a visit there in 1988 when I was doing my training with the Royal Marines .I stop at port Solent every year before coming over to Spain might have to have a couple of days next trip and visit it all again.

Screenshot_20240318-102743.png

Sorry couldn't get it to turn around 😅

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I was lucky enough to be invited to a Trafalgar night dinner on Victory in the 80’s. Found memories.
We had an office Christmas Dinner on the Warrior once some years back. Bit on the nippy side though. OH spent the whole evening complaining that she was cold (no change there!).

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We had an office Christmas Dinner on the Warrior once some years back. Bit on the nippy side though. OH spent the whole evening complaining that she was cold (no change there!).
Once came along side to take on fuel at a base in Wales, only to discover that the barge acting as the pontoon was the Warrior.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

Thanks for that. My dad was in the Royal Navy during WW2 and every time a naval boat docked in Liverpool or when we were on holiday anywhere near a naval base I was taken on naval ships and submarines to look around.It was amazing that my dad would just ask one of the sailors if we could come on board and that was it, amazing security in those days. Will definitely spend a couple of days at this museum soon.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Once came along side to take on fuel at a base in Wales, only to discover that the barge acting as the pontoon was the Warrior.
Yes it was berthed in Pembroke Dock for many years rotting away and being used as a fuel platform.

Don’t tell anyone but as kids we used to sneak on board and fish for conger eels off her.

We pulled up some monsters:oops:

We went to Portsmouth a few years back and it was lovely to see her restored.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I am a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Constructors in the City of London and last year as part of The Masters Weekend, we had a formal dinner on HMS Warrior. It was fantastic, especially towards the end of the evening when one of my fellow liveryman got the Mayor of Portsmouth and the Commander of the dockyard singing along with “ what shall we do with a drunken sailor” :LOL:

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Caravan & Motorhome Club site at Rookesbury Park Club Site near Wickham just north of Portsmouth, about 20 minutes from park & ride which was £4 per day to park for both of us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back