LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 3 mobile contract, unlimited data.

I know That I can tether my phone to other devices, but is it possible to tether my phone to a 12v router via wifi, so that other devices can connect, I know its a strange question...

Deleted User
I don't see why not if your phone has wifi connectivity it will connect to any network.

I have just connected a spare phone without a sim in to a huawei mifi with a 3 sim and got fun site up ok.

Puzzled as to why you would want to do that though, even though the mifi with aerial might pull in a better signal I would think that there is a good chance any benefit would be lost in the connections.

I will experiment!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
WHY ???
The phone when set up as a hot spot usually allows a number of devices to connect.

When we are at rallies or travelling in the van, I usually hot spot my phone and the grandkids just connect to that.
Putting a router in between just complicates it PLUS it would not be working as a router, you would need to configure it as an access point. Thats based on my non professional, semi technical view (y)

A seperate MIFI with its own data sim will be like using a router but why bother if your phone already does that job and you have data available.. My old MIFI is no longer used now as the phone does the job.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
F8AF59BA-E3AF-49DD-9390-7A52786E41A9.jpeg
Don’t know how you tether it though

I’ll get my coat. :whistle:

Deleted User

I know That I can tether my phone to other devices, but is it possible to tether my phone to a 12v router via wifi, so that other devices can connect, I know its a strange question...

Won't work the way that you want, not on my Cubot anyway.

The phone will connect to the mifi and work ok, but it will not set up it's own hotspot at the same time.

When I set up the hotspot it automatically cuts off the wifi connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have a Cheap Alcatel "smart" phone. £30 off Fleabay With a DATA sim card in it Creates a "hot spot" to which up to 10 other devices can connect. DATA sims can be got easy enough, I had a (3) 24GB one off the Internet for about £24. that lasts up to 24 Months. BUT you must make at least one connection within a 3 month period to keep it alive or they will disconnect you! (most important it you only have occasional use)

Deleted User
I have a Cheap Alcatel "smart" phone. £30 off Fleabay With a DATA sim card in it Creates a "hot spot" to which up to 10 other devices can connect. DATA sims can be got easy enough, I had a (3) 24GB one off the Internet for about £24. that lasts up to 24 Months. BUT you must make at least one connection within a 3 month period to keep it alive or they will disconnect you! (most important it you only have occasional use)

I think Shifty knows that, he was asking a different question.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Your router may have a “repeater” mode. With that, you can connect the router to your phone (while your phone is acting as a hotspot) , and then other devices can connect to the router. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, or why you would want to do it.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think Shifty knows that, he was asking a different question.

As Tonka said, (I think) why the need to introduce a Router?, when the Phone IS effectively just that. Take`s the signal from the phone, creates a Hot Spot, and up to 10 devices can simultaneously access it?. OR is the router going to access SITE WiFi?.

Edit. So OK, just turned off the Data connection and logged the Alcatel to my HOME WiFi.. At this point the "Hot Spot" will NOT function. Turned it all back on and am posting this Edit using the alcatel as a Router.

Last edited:

Deleted User
As Tonka said, (I think) why the need to introduce a Router?, when the Phone IS effectively just that. Take`s the signal from the phone, creates a Hot Spot, and up to 10 devices can simultaneously access it?. OR is the router going to access SITE WiFi?.

I don't know why he wants to do what he asked, he did say it was a strange question and my little bit of research on my phone suggests that it is not possible.

I am well aware of using the phone as a router/hub/hotspot, I use it full time as my only access to the internet on several devices.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You can use a 'wifi extender', which is usually constructed so that it can be set up in several modes, including wifi client, wifi access point and wifi infrastructure router.

As a 'wifi infrastructure router' it will connect to your phone wifi hotspot as a single client. It will then enable you to set up a local wifi network with an identifier (SSID) and password that you can decide for yourself.

All your devices connect to this local wifi network, and the phone thinks there is only one device (the router) connected to it.

A router has two network connections, separated by a firewall. They are usually called the WAN (wide area network) and LAN (local area network). The WAN side connects to the phone hotspot. The LAN side, over which you have full control, connects to your other devices.

The problem with most wifi extenders is, although it is connecting to two totally separate networks (WAN and LAN), it has only one radio module. The radio splits its time between the two networks, so the total speed is reduced.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don't know why he wants to do what he asked, he did say it was a strange question and my little bit of research on my phone suggests that it is not possible.

I am well aware of using the phone as a router/hub/hotspot, I use it full time as my only access to the internet on several devices.

Strange really, But I did just do this :- Edit. So OK, just turned off the Data connection and logged the Alcatel to my HOME WiFi.. At this point the "Hot Spot" will NOT function. Turned it all back on and am posting this Edit using the alcatel as a Router.

Deleted User
Strange really, But I did just do this :- Edit. So OK, just turned off the Data connection and logged the Alcatel to my HOME WiFi.. At this point the "Hot Spot" will NOT function. Turned it all back on and am posting this Edit using the alcatel as a Router.

That's what I found...I think:)

Basically the phone will connect to a mifi router and work ok but it will not set up a hotspot at the same time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay @ShiftZZ ... you've got us all wondering WHY you want to do this ... are you buying a mahooosive MH that with just phone tethering the signal won't reach the end of? Spill the beans ...! :D

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You can use a 'wifi extender'
Many wifi extenders are built onto a wall plug connection, for use in a house. You'll need the type that has a separate supply. Actually it's often 12 volts, about 1 amp, so it's easy to find a power supply that plugs into the 12v sockets and produces a properly regulated 12 volts. Some are 5v, and you can use a USB power lead.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A wifi extender has another use. In 'wifi infrastructure mode', you can connect to the camp site wifi instead of the phone hotspot. Then you can use as many devices as you want, and the camp site wifi thinks there is only one device (the router) connected to it.

That only works if the camp site wifi is strong enough to use at your pitch. If not, you need an Iboost-type system, which has a sensitive aerial and a separate radio module connected to a wifi infrastructure router.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Probably limited to just 30GB of tethering. Why not just tether to the phone itself, what is gained by using a router.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I amend what I just said, it looks like Three has changed their 30GB limit.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Your router may have a “repeater” mode. With that, you can connect the router to your phone (while your phone is acting as a hotspot) , and then other devices can connect to the router. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, or why you would want to do it.

Yes, certainly if using a Huawei mifi device, it has a wireless repeater mode, where it connects to a wifi hotspot (in this case your phone) and then makes that connection available to other devices connecting to the mifi device.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My logic.

I have unlimited data, but its stuck to my phone. I was hoping that the router may be a better option. no need to mess about with the phone, lg on, router paired job done..wireless repeater mode sound like a possible answer..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My logic.

I have unlimited data, but its stuck to my phone. I was hoping that the router may be a better option. no need to mess about with the phone, lg on, router paired job done..wireless repeater mode sound like a possible answer..
Pointless easier just to turn tethering on, on your phone, set up the phone right and it's just one finger tap.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
My logic.

Or: you take the SIM out of your phone and stick it in the router (mifi device) -- might need a SIM card size converter if the mifi wants a larger sized SIM than the phone. I've done that before.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Or: you take the SIM out of your phone and stick it in the router (mifi device) -- might need a SIM card size converter if the mifi wants a larger sized SIM than the phone. I've done that before.
Pain in the butt when you want to use the phone.:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back