Route Planning & Recording with multiple overnight stops (1 Viewer)

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Good morning all

An app/software in which one can plan (and save) routes in advance, annotate multiple nights stops, add places of interest and share amongst multiple devices or with others.

Before posting this, I have searched the forum. I found some interesting threads, comments and tips but nowhere did I find a compete solution to the above specification ask. I have tried Google Earth, Google Maps, Ordnance Survey (Premium) and others. I'm not necessarily wanting a free app/package (I already pay OS Premium for hiking for instance), but I won't pay unless I can be sure all the elements I require are provided. The stickler is usually the ability to project future dates and recognise multiple-night stop-overs en route.

Lastly, I'm no expert! I may have missed some facility on the more common journey planning apps that's tucked away in a menu system. If so, anyone who might put me straight would be helping enormously. I'd emphasise that what I look for is a tool that can be used for planning initially (well ahead of time), but that can recognise forward dates, multiple night overnights stops and when the time comes, as a route map.

...and yes, I use paper and pencil just now! :)

Thanks all
David

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I use Basecamp which is Garmin’s mapping system very easy to use and does what you’re looking to do. Routes can then be uploaded to Garmin devices or shared with other people as required. I use it for motorhome and motorcycle trips. I email the routes to the other riders and they then upload it their device.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Good morning all

An app/software in which one can plan (and save) routes in advance, annotate multiple nights stops, add places of interest and share amongst multiple devices or with others.

Before posting this, I have searched the forum. I found some interesting threads, comments and tips but nowhere did I find a compete solution to the above specification ask. I have tried Google Earth, Google Maps, Ordnance Survey (Premium) and others. I'm not necessarily wanting a free app/package (I already pay OS Premium for hiking for instance), but I won't pay unless I can be sure all the elements I require are provided. The stickler is usually the ability to project future dates and recognise multiple-night stop-overs en route.

Lastly, I'm no expert! I may have missed some facility on the more common journey planning apps that's tucked away in a menu system. If so, anyone who might put me straight would be helping enormously. I'd emphasise that what I look for is a tool that can be used for planning initially (well ahead of time), but that can recognise forward dates, multiple night overnights stops and when the time comes, as a route map.

...and yes, I use paper and pencil just now! :)

Thanks all
David
Without going into it again myself I thought Google maps did that. If you use the multiple points on the route places to start again from your last stop (which you make as your stopover in your case ) it will give you both an overview of the whole route plus individual sections. Of course it also gives you places of interest, that Google suggest and I also recall there is a facility to add notes on a destination on your route.
Might be worth having a look again. Sorry I cannot get into look at mine for a week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I haven’t done it for the van yet, but for our motorcycle tours I plan using the TomTom planner. Easy to use and can save on phone, iPad and laptop at the same time. (y)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I use Garmin's 'Mapsource' for creating and storing both past and future routes, stopovers, points of interest etc.

Notes can be added for additional info too. Basecamp may be even better but I prefer Mapsource.

It’s all done offline too.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I use Garmin's 'Mapsource' for creating and storing both past and future routes, stopovers, points of interest etc.

Notes can be added for additional info too. Basecamp may be even better but I prefer Mapsource.
Can’t remember now Les, but one or the other of those two is no longer supported by Garmin, so no updates. :unsure:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use Basecamp which is Garmin’s mapping system very easy to use and does what you’re looking to do. Routes can then be uploaded to Garmin devices or shared with other people as required. I use it for motorhome and motorcycle trips. I email the routes to the other riders and they then upload it their device.

It’s all done offline too.

Can’t remember now Les, but one or the other of those two is no longer supported by Garmin, so no updates. :unsure:
Likewise, we use BaseCamp offline.
Mapsource is the discontinued package, replaced by BaseCamp, however there's a number of folk still use it as it's better in some areas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We still us MS Autoroute although some of the latest roads may not be on there last version was 2013. Does everything you need you can download loads of POI's for it, we use it with a GPS receiver and it tracks our route.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can do this with Google Calender. If you create an event, for example "stay at xyz campsite" , then in the place field click on the map symbol. This should open up Google Maps. You can then plan a route in the normal way to the site but set the departure time and date to one in the future. This will then be saved in the Calender with the event.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Garmin Camper 780 claims to offer multiple routes, incl. stopovers but haven't had a chance to play with it yet to find out how effective it is. For speed of loading, we used to plan a route foreach leg of our trip from Scotland to Spain, but that was using a bottom of the range TomTom that needed to stop for a scratch and a think before offering a route ...

Steve

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Garmin Camper 780 claims to offer multiple routes, incl. stopovers but haven't had a chance to play with it yet to find out how effective it is. For speed of loading, we used to plan a route foreach leg of our trip from Scotland to Spain, but that was using a bottom of the range TomTom that needed to stop for a scratch and a think before offering a route ...

Steve
You should have a look at Garmin BaseCamp installed on a PC or Mac as it's a great tool for creating routes "offline" from the sat nav. You can keep the maps up to date along with those on the sat nav by using Garmin Express.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You should have a look at Garmin BaseCamp installed on a PC or Mac as it's a great tool for creating routes "offline" from the sat nav. You can keep the maps up to date along with those on the sat nav by using Garmin Express.
Will do, Grant. I've been having all sorts of trouble with the audio/satnav functions of the Van since the initial delivery just over 4 weeks ago with the duff Fridge Control Panel, losing settings etc. Spent much of yesterday and today trying cabled and bluetooth connections [every spare cable kicking around the flat that I could lay my hands on, but the music just would not play].

In desperation, I asked Elaine to try her new posy phone [she fell over about 4 weeks ago and smashed her existing phone], and, hey presto, bluetooth connection immediately! New phone is a Samsung, Elaine's old phone and mine are both Huawei P20 Pro, and Huawei have rewritten much of their own software, including the Music App to try to cope with the American ban on Huawei technology. The new Huawei Music App is horrible [and invasive] so I shall have to remove all my music and then try to remember what was on the Playlists and rebuild them for the new generic Music Player [which doesn't have a function for importing Playlists!]

Sometimes I quite miss my 78s and their 'His Master's Voice' Labels! But I have, at least for now, avoided the need to spend shedloads of cash on a new system for the Van [there is a rather nice Alpine X903D DU2 9 inch Stereo/SatNav that is an absolute steal at £1799, but when you add the 'options' such as DAB aerial, mounting kit, fitting etc, to make it usable, the final bill comes in at £2616.90 ... Elaine, she say, 'No, Senor' in quite a firm tone that precludes a 'pretty please' follow up ...

Steve

OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Thank you all who responded so kindly to my query. This really is a wonderful community of experience and helpfulness. To a novice, such as I am, such patient assistance as this thread has captured is so welcome and in contrast to so many online experiences. Thank you al.

I don't use a Garmin device and would prefer not to have to buy one. MS Autoroutes had a keen following but is discontinued (and therefore unsupported), the kindly Google "MyMaps" shared has many of the elements required but not all and I am about to explore MyRoutes.

What I found/find astonishing is that something that I'd have thought a fundamentally complete package isn't immediately on the lips of us all. I half expected to be swamped under the mass of replies that told me to stop being such a twit as such-and-such does all you ask and more!

Clearly, the good citizens of this forum are too polite to address one so, but it's equally obvious that there is a gap in the mainstream market for such a planning tool.

So, whilst still exploring and searching, I reiterate my gratitude to all. Thank you so much.

D

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I use maps.me to place poi’s.
The colours I use are
Orange, routes
Red, overnight stops
Purple, places of interest
Green, walking routes
Brown, bike routes
Blue, water
Yellow, food/ takeaway that are recommended
Set each country up.
Can be transferred to other devices and systems.
I find it a great mapping tool.
We use an iPad as sat nav with this app running.

Also use guru on the phone for walking, it tracks our route.
Both systems can use the same poi’s.

Hope this helps.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
if you have Mac and iPhone then Riadtripplanner is brilliantly comprehensive.
There is a detailed tutorial article in the MGF magazine a couple of issues ago.

OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
if you have Mac and iPhone then Riadtripplanner is brilliantly comprehensive.
There is a detailed tutorial article in the MGF magazine a couple of issues ago.
Neither I regret!
Thanks though :)
D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Spent much of yesterday and today trying cabled and bluetooth connections [every spare cable kicking around the flat that I could lay my hands on, but the music just would not play].
Does your head unit have an accessible USB socket? If so, could you copy your music onto a USB stick and plug that in. It's what we do rather than connecting our mobiles. Simple technology works for me!:Smile:
I asked Elaine to try her new posy phone [she fell over about 4 weeks ago and smashed her existing phone],
Expensive bottle of wine that she was drinking!:whistle2:
New phone is a Samsung, Elaine's old phone and mine are both Huawei P20 Pro,
Just updated both of ours to Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro's and very impressed with them.
[there is a rather nice Alpine X903D DU2 9 inch Stereo/SatNav that is an absolute steal at £1799, but when you add the 'options' such as DAB aerial, mounting kit, fitting etc, to make it usable, the final bill comes in at £2616.90 ... Elaine, she say, 'No, Senor' in quite a firm tone that precludes a 'pretty please' follow up ...
You've just reconfirmed my thoughts on who is the brains of the outfit!:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back