RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi peeps. I am about to buy my first motorhome and I am hoping for it to be a Roller Team 746 2013. Bought by the current owners in May 2013. It has the lux pack fitted and an extra alarm. Does anyone have any comments on this van? It is a private sale. The van has a 10 year water ingress warranty, but does anyone know what this actually covers, is it good? It is a private sale, so is there anything I should be checking first? Secondly how do I actually give the money over to the owner. Obviously can't carry cash around!!
Sorry if these are basic questions, I have never done anything like this before. Alway get my cars off family etc....

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Even though it's fairly new either get a habitation check done or buy a damp meter and have a good check over it yourself. Warranty or not you don't want to be buying a wet van.

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Also for the water ingress to be valid its important that the van has & will be inspected and a certificate issued at regular intervals. Some manufactures ask for a 6 monthly check.
As for the money make sure the seller has internet banking & if so do a transfer on collection but not without seeing the van.
If you know little about MH's then I suggest you find a local MH engineer and pay to have him/her inspect it for you. Not only will it be money well spent but it may also allow you to barter the price down to cover any little defects

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
That is a good piece of advice about the 6 month check. Can't find any info on the internet, has anyone had any experience of a roller team warranty?

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi RebeccaKristy,

You sound very enthusiastic about the van, don't get too carried away though!

Rollerteam do a 10 year 'EPS' (Extreme Protection System) warranty which covers all sorts - including water ingress. Not much info on the actual T's&C's, but I guess it does what it says on the tin? Providing you don't drill holes all over it and any modifications are 'approved', they guarantee it against water ingress for 10 years. Someone on here may own one and a post will fill you in or, the seller should have some document laying out the terms.

If you want, you can download a 2013 brochure from www.rollerteammotorhomes.co.uk

Not much info on the actual warranty in the brochure, but use that site to find a local dealer, then phone them to ask.

My biggest question would be, WHY are they selling a van that's relatively new. Are they fed up with it? Has it had a knock? Did the lifestyle not suit them? Can't they afford it? What!

You say it's a private sale, so what are the people like who are selling? Do they seem genuine? As you're not sure about the buying 'game', you need to know that there are lots of scams around that will rob you of your money pronto! SO, beware of anything that is ridiculously priced, being sold by a soldier who needs quick money but he's fighting overseas, or anyone that wants to deliver the van to you after you pay up etc etc.

Certainly, I would do all of the usual checks, HPI etc.

Have you seen the van? Do NOT part with any money until all of these checks and a viewing is done. If you get as far as a viewing and test drive, check that the V5 (log book that was) is in order and everything tallies.

I know that this is very infuriating and you are dying to get your hands on it and hit the road BUT, any genuine seller will expect these questions and checks.

Money wise, if all is ok, then leave a holding deposit and arrange further payment with the seller - probably by bank electronic transfer. No; don't walk around with cash in a plastic bag!

Lovely good value van overall. Good luck, let us know how you get on and if unsure, just ask on here.

Regards
James

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Where did you 1st see the van, was it on one of the websites such as Ebay, Auto Trader, Gumtree etc?

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I would add that when doing an HPI check its important for you to include the Vin/Engine number as this will mean your insured if HPI make a mistake

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would like to know why they are selling after such a short time, maybe motorhome lifestyle didn't suit them, but it's best to be suspicious & tread carefully & do make sure there isn't any finance outstanding, HPI check should tell you but I think their insurance only covers up to 10K may have changed since I last looked.

Payment as said online, sold my last van in March the buyer transferred a £500 deposit on line when they came to pick up the van transferred the balance using online banking on their phone, money was in my account in seconds, depending on the bank can sometimes take a couple of hours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
It is on Out and about live. The people who own it are retired, but health complications mean they can't use it at the moment. Appear very genuine. Price good but not silly. They have been very patient with all my questions.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, having put the fear of God into you, there are many genuine sellers out there.

Interestingly, I bought my first van as a private sale, all the way from Somerset. Alas the gent died and the lady wasn't going to use it any more. I still keep in contact with her at Christmas time by card, even though we no longer have that van.

Glad all appears genuine and hope that my post wasn't too negative.

James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Not at all James. I am very nervous, as have seen loads of horror stories on the internet. Will HPI check and defiantly not carry a big bag of cash!

Upvote 0

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
got a 746 2013 new great bit of kit but please check the following chassis bolts have been replaced and the top out side valance have been fixed on our 1st habitation check they found damp in the garage doors still have not had them replaced under warranty the dealer is about as good as pin PRICK in a durex spoke to rollerteam about the dealer now not a agent for them I know this m/h very well and if I can help you ok ray

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
find out who the supplying deal was and check the habitation reports for may 2014 and itll be due one in May this year.
remember with motorhomes the warranty is with the dealer not the Manufacturer. I had a CI Carioca 746 new in 2008 ( basically same van and manufacturer ) the UK franchisers are AUTOTRAIL . my dealer went bust after i had the van 3 months and it took me a further 18 months to get the habitation door fixed from a fairly serious problem as Autotrail did not want to be bothered. so i would check with the supplying dealer that they understand that the warranty will be transferred to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
top out side valance
What is this please? Is it a condition of the warranty that is is checked every year? If the owners missed last year then is the warranty invalid? Do you know what the warranties actually cover? Which is your dealer? Thank you Ray this is really helpful. On the whole though are you happy with it? Any experience with others?

I had a CI Carioca 746 new in 2008
I saw this one at a used dealer (2009) and loved it. That is why we are going for the newer one as same layout, feels really open, I think due to having the kitchen in the middle so you can see through the van.

Upvote 0

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
yes would not change it the 2014 is not to the same standard as the 2013 the warrant can be inspected buy any m/h inspector and you do not have to use the dealer I checked with rollerteam about this we had a lot of upgrades from the factory cost us £46000 including our part ex 3450 miles on the clock tow a fiat punto as well ray

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi rebeccakristy,
We have a rollerteam 200 autoroller family bought new in March 2013 and it has been fantastic, 13,00 miles and not a single problem, bought from Davan's Weston super mare who are excellent, we are selling it at the moment even tho. it is still in warranty not because of any problems but because we want another type of motorhome, to keep the water ingress warranty we have to have a habitation service each year, which is sensible anyway. Our Daughter has a rollerteam 500 and would love the 746 layout. In so far as your question about credibility of the sellers is concerned I would ask them if there is anyone they have dealt with that you could talk to, also are they the first owners if not has it been used as a rented vehicle, is the price genuinely in line with what dealers would charge, and of course do they actually own it.
Our motorhome is genuinely up for sale but of course no one will believe that because no one believes anyone these days.
On the money side a fool proof way of paying and securing the purchase of the van is to employ a solicitor who will put the money in a client account which is secure and will make sure the correct payment paperwork is done, whichever way you do it make sure you have some paperwork to prove the purchase, because there is no come back with a private purchase " bought as seen"
Good luck
Etap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks Etap. Do you think that if the habitation check wasn't done 2014, then if this year's picks up a problem then it won't be covered? Thank you for your kind advice.

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I cannot answer you on this, why don't you telephone the dealer who supplied the van and ask the question or indeed Davans at Weston Super Mare, the manufacturers ask that you have a check every year to continue with the water ingress guarantee, so they could possibly squeeze their way out of it if you don't comply, they may not so ring them.
Sorry can't help here.
Etap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
why don't you telephone the dealer
I rang their dealer and they said that no habitation check was done in 2014, so the 10 year water ingress is not valid. However the dealer said the price was so good that I should still buy it, especially as it has been kept indoors. So confused now.

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Presumably their dealer is the one they bought it from, and having spoken to them direct are happy with what they say, and they seem genuine do they?
At the end of the day no one on this forum will give you advice which you can use to make a decision (as they cannot be held responsible for the outcome) they can only say what they would do in the circumstances, several people have given good advice to help check that the vehicle appears ok. If you feel happy to make a decision of your own then that's as far as it goes.
There is a Rollerteam forum which may be useful . Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks Etap. Yes they are the dealers, and the people are very genuine. I will have an AA check done first and then go for it. Thank you for your help, and alerting me to the checks!

Upvote 0

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi
Just wondering if you've bought the 746 yet and how it's going? We also love the layout of it but boy are they hard to find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi yes we bought it. The layout is perfect for our family, very comfortable and spacious! Do you mean you are looking to get one or you have one?

Upvote 0

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Still looking but can't afford a new one. The second hand ones go like hot hot cakes!
Glad you're enjoying it!

Happy travels x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
There were a few on autotrader, but they might've gone now. The lay out is great for acfamily I have found, so good luck looking, and let me know if you have any questions x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
got a 746 2013 new great bit of kit but please check the following chassis bolts have been replaced and the top out side valance have been fixed on our 1st habitation check they found damp in the garage doors still have not had them replaced under warranty the dealer is about as good as pin PRICK in a durex spoke to rollerteam about the dealer now not a agent for them I know this m/h very well and if I can help you ok ray
Hi, we have had our van for a while now and it is great! But I have a technical question, I want to fit a gas-it bottle for refilling in Europe, but I cam not sure what to do. On the specs it says 1*15kg. It looks like the space is for 6 kg bottles? I though 11kg was standard for family motorhomes. Do you know which size gas-it I will need? As I can only afford 1 then 6kg seems disappointing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Still looking but can't afford a new one. The second hand ones go like hot hot cakes!
Glad you're enjoying it!

Happy travels x
Did you find one? Hardly seem to be any available as am checking prices to make sure I got a good deal!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi, we have had our van for a while now and it is great! But I have a technical question, I want to fit a gas-it bottle for refilling in Europe, but I cam not sure what to do. On the specs it says 1*15kg. It looks like the space is for 6 kg bottles? I though 11kg was standard for family motorhomes. Do you know which size gas-it I will need? As I can only afford 1 then 6kg seems disappointing.

You can fit whatever you can get into the locker. Remember they have to be upright not laid down. What bottles do you have at the moment? If the locker is full up then look at the bottles you have and get similar sized refillables. If you have one and it looks like you have space for two then time to get the tape measure out. (y) If your gas locker only has the height for 6kg bottles then there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back