Ring Spotlight Cam is Rubbish? (1 Viewer)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I was thinking about buying one of these: it is 'Amazon's Choice'. However, I always look at the one and two star reviews first, and this one caught my eye. Having read it and many others I'll not bother!
John

My camera is great at recording next doors cats wandering into our garden. Unfortunately it sometimes fails to record the movement of my car on the drive as I come and go, despite having to open a large wooden gate over six feet tall to gain access. The car and the gate are both fully visible to the camera and the distance ranges from about twenty feet to the gate and about six feet to the car when it is parked. If my car got stolen then I probably would not know about it until a cat wandered over the spot where it was parked.

Amazon product ASIN B077VXQX7P

Deleted User
Not sticking up for this brand but with my Wansview camera the sensitivity is adjustable and the area of concentration can be moved on the screen, does this have similar controls?

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
I got the ring doorbell but the time lag is to much but very good for recording whos been by my door
iv also got swann cctv but thats rubbish the wifi isnt strong enough. even with wifi boosters wont work 10 feet away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Following thread with interest. Need to find a decent camera myself for night time recording.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Following thread with interest. Need to find a decent camera myself for night time recording.

for info on Night time;

i have a few cameras the main system is the good old fashioned wired record to a hard drive. and i also have 2 of the wifi exterior and interior cameras/,

the wired cameras are on permenant record and saves around 2 weeks worth on drive,
the exterior wifi is permanently active and the indoor is only active when we are away. bothrecord to cloud or SD card.

the only problem I have is at "Night"! set to record movement even on the lowest sensitivity at night you get constant warnings as bugs and whatever are attracted to the infra red lights, or simply the movement of a cobweb in the wind.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have Logitach ones
Can discriminate between humans and cats or bugs etc
Downside is to get all the bells and whistles you need to take out a subscription
You also need decent wifi strength where you position the camera's
If its a proper security system you want I would agree with Phill D a good old fashioned wired record to a hard drive is the thing

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have the ring cameras and I have no problems. You can set up motion detection zones on the app, once you have positioned the camera. You just draw odd shaped sections to suit and can have as many of them as you like. The camera still captures the whole scene.
I also used to have issues with neighbours cats. My zones are set up to see the sides of the van but when we are away in it, it detects anyone walking past on the pavement outside.
You do need a good broadband speed for the camera to send instant alerts but I get an alert as soon as I step outside the front door and before I can get to the car in the drive.
The postman though always is speedy gonzales and is on his way out of the drive before I can open phone and the app for the live view

Deleted User
the only problem I have is at "Night"! set to record movement even on the lowest sensitivity at night you get constant warnings as bugs and whatever are attracted to the infra red lights, or simply the movement of a cobweb in the wind.
I had similar so I turned the ir light off because my area of concern has exterior movement floodlighting. Even during the darkest nights there is still some light and motion can be detected, it's worth playing with it for a few nights.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have just installed another cctv camera bought it on eBay for £25 it is an iGeek very good records and good viewing angle and records on a 64gb micro card. Alerts me on my iPhone

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Almost certainly the detector is looking for body heat not just movement

we have an all singing system at home , but it fails to detect a car coming in unless it has been driven hard 🙂 but get out of the car and it picks you up

so unless your car gets nicked by aliens you have a good chance of triggering the camera, you then need to chose whether to do something

temptation says says fight , in reality head will hopefully stay phone for help 👍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am pleased with my Nest Cam Outdoor. I can adjust the detection zones and choose people, motion or sounds for each of them.

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
I have a Ring system never had any problems with it. You can pick petty much any item for sale on Amazon and someone will have given it a bad review, I usually check to see if the good reviews are over 65% before I purchase it. Bad reviews are usually only some miserable gits opinion!!!!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry not that good at confusion stuff just enter doorbell camera in eBay ☹

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have the ring cameras and I have no problems. You can set up motion detection zones on the app, once you have positioned the camera. You just draw odd shaped sections to suit and can have as many of them as you like. The camera still captures the whole scene.
I also used to have issues with neighbours cats. My zones are set up to see the sides of the van but when we are away in it, it detects anyone walking past on the pavement outside.
You do need a good broadband speed for the camera to send instant alerts but I get an alert as soon as I step outside the front door and before I can get to the car in the drive.
The postman though always is speedy gonzales and is on his way out of the drive before I can open phone and the app for the live view

Have you downloaded the rapid ring app , it loads up quite a bit faster than the standard app

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
It must be all to do with connectivity we have/had one and the only fault was it took about thirty seconds to connect with the phone/computer by which time everyone had buggered off!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have you downloaded the rapid ring app , it loads up quite a bit faster than the standard app
I didn’t know that there was one, I will go and look for it - thanks.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Weve got a couple of Samsung Smart Cam HD Outdoor cameras which can be viewed via an AP and records onto micro SD / selectable Motion zones / Night vision and wide angle of vision @ 128 degree and indoors we have Motorola cameras with full pan and tilt facility for keeping an eye on our Dogs whilst we are out :giggle: very happy with both systems (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I was thinking about buying one of these: it is 'Amazon's Choice'. However, I always look at the one and two star reviews first, and this one caught my eye. Having read it and many others I'll not bother!
John

My camera is great at recording next doors cats wandering into our garden. Unfortunately it sometimes fails to record the movement of my car on the drive as I come and go, despite having to open a large wooden gate over six feet tall to gain access. The car and the gate are both fully visible to the camera and the distance ranges from about twenty feet to the gate and about six feet to the car when it is parked. If my car got stolen then I probably would not know about it until a cat wandered over the spot where it was parked.

Amazon product ASIN B077VXQX7P
We have Five ring cameras two of which are spotlight cams one wired the other battery, as has been said you can make adjustments to the sensitivity of what it captures. The images you view on your mobile playback are not as good as when you download the video image. Ring have also adjusted when recording starts, it now starts prior to when the action starts. Since ring was acquired by Amazon it seems that the investment they have pumped in to the company means more features are being released.

as a system it is probably no better or worse than other companies in this market sector. You would have to pay a lot more for a better quality cctv system so are they worth it. I think so.

the Ring alarm base station seems to have a built in Wi-fi Sim and battery back up when power goes down again it’s an okay security system but for it’s price point a good one again pay more and you get a better system.

So in summary I have multiple cameras door and PIR sensors fir the house and Garage (bottom of my Garden all images stored and alarm manage to for £80

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back