The Billabong

Free Member
Oct 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990M
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, looking for help with installing a twin reversing camera. I thought (always dangerous) l could follow/trace existing cable of old camera but now thinking this runs into a cavity somewhere behind the rear panel and was probably factory fitted? Thinking of drilling through into rear cupboard and then running cable down to the chasis. Would preferably like to disconnect old camera but don't want to leave any live wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201016_125834[1].jpg
    20201016_125834[1].jpg
    25 KB · Views: 52
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have not a clue about your m/h but if you can't use the existing wiring you may be able to use it as a mouse to pull the new wiring through. It may be restrained by hidden clips en route so if a person at each end alternately tugs gently it may disclose if it seems likely that the new wire can be drawn through by a mouse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
My Camera packed up and got a TWIN Cam rig. It is a case of carefully pulling the existing loom back through whilst a string is attached to the 'old ends' then reverse the process to bring new wires through. When 'tugging' you will soon see here it ll goes and what is behind the little boxes in the corners of cupboars etc..
Quite and easy job, but I wired mine up to test everything before looming up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The Billabong

Free Member
Oct 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990M
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Camera packed up and got a TWIN Cam rig. It is a case of carefully pulling the existing loom back through whilst a string is attached to the 'old ends' then reverse the process to bring new wires through. When 'tugging' you will soon see here it ll goes and what is behind the little boxes in the corners of cupboars etc..
Quite and easy job, but I wired mine up to test everything before looming up.
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it's connected to the reversing switch behind the dashboard and is going to become far too much work to get at it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is that the original camera in the pic? If so it's probably low enough to find the cable on the inside and trace it through. Don't forget to reseal the hole properly.
On mine, the camera was set in the high brake light panel and as far as I could see went straight into the insulation - no chance of "pulling it through". So I ran the new cable (and you will need to use the new cable, the kit should have more than enough) into a rear locker, making sure it was properly sealed, then routed it down to the floor under the bed and lockers, having to go outside through a convenient opening to get past the fridge and hab door, then back up via the passenger door post from where the route was basically behind the side panels and headlining to the camera. I hid the only bit of cable exposed to the hab area in some matching flat trunking from B & Q.
As it's a dual lens camera using the supply for the built-in original drop down screen in my case wasn't an option so you'll need to find an ignition-controlled supply - I temporarily picked up a permanent supply close by and just remember to switch the camera off, but I've just brought the van home to do one or two jobs, that being one of them.

It's not a difficult job, just very fiddly!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back