Return from Spain if on the red list (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
They will do no more than refer you to the Government website, which I aporeciate doesn’t advise specifically on this matter but they are never in the habit of answering hypothetical questions
When was it, 3 weeks ago? that the government were seriously looking into putting France on the Red List? Surely it crossed someone’s mind that this situation would occur? In the end France didn’t go on the Red List because it would cause ‘trade difficulties’.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If we return from Spain/France in our self sufficient motorhome and they have gone onto the red list. Is there a campsite facility for our 10 day quarantine or will we still have to go into an hotel.

Have been trying to ask this question to what should be relevant agencies but not getting very far.
Hope someone knows the answer or can point me in the right direction.
Thank you.
Could it be that you are not hearing the answer you want to hear. Just be sure the hotel has parking to leave your camper for the duration of your hotel stay.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years

Where you can arrive​

If you’re required to quarantine in a quarantine hotel you can only arrive in England at certain ports of entry. Currently these are:

• Heathrow Airport
  • Gatwick Airport
  • London City Airport
  • Birmingham Airport
  • Farnborough Airport
Got this from the Gov web site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Wow opened up a hornet nest.
I failed to make clear we go via Santander May 19th. No return booked yet. As for returning via another country I believe the form you complete identifies the countries you have visited.
Spoke to B. Ferries yesterday and was told that at present requirement to quarantine at hotel from red country applies to air travel only. They could not tell me that there were any alternative plans should Spain and or France go red. Their take was that the majority of their travellers returning home are either in a car or motorhome and travelling directly to their home.
Not a conclusive answer I'm afraid.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of water will pass under the bridge between now and then Hil,
Safe trip when you make it.

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
When was it, 3 weeks ago? that the government were seriously looking into putting France on the Red List? Surely it crossed someone’s mind that this situation would occur? In the end France didn’t go on the Red List because it would cause ‘trade difficulties’.
That dosn’t mean they have stopped considering it nor does it mean it won’t ever go on a Red List. What has been said is that a Red List will be announced in a few weeks time ahead of 17th May when foreign holiday might be permitted. Be prepared for unpleasant surprises, such is the nature of this pandemic, remember lots of unimaginable things have already happened !

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
They could not tell me that there were any alternative plans should Spain and or France go red.
Like I have already said, they will not (cannot) give answers to hypothetical questions but as has been with the pandemic so far, it’s best to be prepared for some unpleasant surprises !

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I failed to make clear we go via Santander May 19th. No return booked yet. As for returning via another country I believe the form you complete identifies the countries you have visited.
Well, if you haven’t even got to Spain yet I certainly wouldn’t be worrying already about coming back! :Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Be prepared for unpleasant surprises, such is the nature of this pandemic, remember lots of unimaginable things have already happened !
Aye, too many unimaginable things - and not all of them to do with the pandemic! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Like I have already said, they will not (cannot) give answers to hypothetical questions but as has been with the pandemic so far, it’s best to be prepared for some unpleasant surprises !
I do not see this as hypothetical as the number of people travelling in motorhome, car caravan or cars is quite substantial and anyone who has been in business knows that forward planning for any significant event is a must. To have a head in the cloud attitude that they will only be coming in by air I find unbelievable. If it did happen they would have to instigate the manner or quarantine immediately.
I am not panicking over this but do have to be back home by a certain time and am the type of person who likes to know my options beforehand.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There will be people returning via France in cars and motorhomes via the Eurotunnel (some with dogs). They are in their own vehicles, not packed into some aeroplane. If they have a home or campsite to go to in the UK they should be allowed to quarantine there, not in some over-priced hotel.
One of the reasons why you still may require a hotel stay is that there they are monitored and residents are easily kept separate from each other so they can't mix even if they wanted to, where you are quarantining yourself in a MH in a car park how would they ensure you stayed put? They can' have someone out in the car park all the time to keep an eye on you to make sure you conform and the car parks don't have 'compounds' to keep you in.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
A lot of water will pass under the bridge between now and then Hil,
Safe trip when you make it.
Hi Phill, our DIL and granddaughter were flying out to meet us as usual but if they will have to isolate whether amber or red they can't go due to work commitments and school, also consideration of how restricted the facilities will be, she spends all day at the pool. Last year was easy...can't go so flights refunded this year could be yeah you can go but up to you if you have to quarantine and maybe pay dearly.
Just find it poor that you cannot go to an official site where all eventualities are covered, it's not as if they don't know about who does what.
Know me Phill always was a planner covering g all eventualities.....Rant over;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do not see this as hypothetical as the number of people travelling in motorhome, car caravan or cars is quite substantial and anyone who has been in business knows that forward planning for any significant event is a must. To have a head in the cloud attitude that they will only be coming in by air I find unbelievable. If it did happen they would have to instigate the manner or quarantine immediately.
I am not panicking over this but do have to be back home by a certain time and am the type of person who likes to know my options beforehand.
Unfortunately there is nothing 'cut and dried' about this pandemic and there are so many scenarios to deal with they can't cover every possibly eventually as you've found so we have to try to read between the lines and work out what the likely requirements will be. The vast majority of people travelling back will be via air where they will have mingled with others much more so they have rightly concentrated on this aspect. The worse case would be if ALL travellers had to do the quarantining regardless of their mode of return as that would definitely be a bummer for such as you and cost you dear so be 'careful what you wish for' to some extent ... sometimes a bit of vagueness can be a benefit!

Personally I suspect that by the time you come back you will, as a worse case scenario, have to quarantine 'at home' rather than at a hotel. In your situation as you're gonna struggle to get a rental property in the UK whilst abroad, especially with pets, I'd forget that and just book a CL/CS for a month and stay there in your MH, this will give you some breathing space and allow you to then 'engage' with rental agents more directly. You could have your chattels sent to a relative to store or if there's a lot just for it to go straight to a storage unit as there are loads of them around nowadays - these could be sort now so that would allow you to concentrate on other stuff. Its a case of sorting out what you can 'live with' rather than ticking every single box to get it all done and dusted.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
One of the reasons why you still may require a hotel stay is that there they are monitored and residents are easily kept separate from each other so they can't mix even if they wanted to, where you are quarantining yourself in a MH in a car park how would they ensure you stayed put? They can' have someone out in the car park all the time to keep an eye on you to make sure you conform and the car parks don't have 'compounds' to keep you in.
Total overkill if you return in a private vehicle. :RollEyes: There is no good reason why motorhomers can’t quarantine at home, or on a campsite if they are fulltimers.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Unfortunately there is nothing 'cut and dried' about this pandemic and there are so many scenarios to deal with they can't cover every possibly eventually as you've found so we have to try to read between the lines and work out what the likely requirements will be. The vast majority of people travelling back will be via air where they will have mingled with others much more so they have rightly concentrated on this aspect. The worse case would be if ALL travellers had to do the quarantining regardless of their mode of return as that would definitely be a bummer for such as you and cost you dear so be 'careful what you wish for' to some extent ... sometimes a bit of vagueness can be a benefit!

Personally I suspect that by the time you come back you will, as a worse case scenario, have to quarantine 'at home' rather than at a hotel. In your situation as you're gonna struggle to get a rental property in the UK whilst abroad, especially with pets, I'd forget that and just book a CL/CS for a month and stay there in your MH, this will give you some breathing space and allow you to then 'engage' with rental agents more directly. You could have your chattels sent to a relative to store or if there's a lot just for it to go straight to a storage unit as there are loads of them around nowadays - these could be sort now so that would allow you to concentrate on other stuff. Its a case of sorting out what you can 'live with' rather than ticking every single box to get it all done and dusted.
Thanks but think you've mixed me with the people coming back with all their home packed up

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Total overkill if you return in a private vehicle. :RollEyes: There is no good reason why motorhomers can’t quarantine at home, or on a campsite if they are fulltimers.
Trouble is you can't ensure that people will adhere to the quarantine rules 'at home' without supervision ... this is the strictest quarantine required for travellers from a 'high risk' country and as we know people haven't done what they should when the risk was lower so there will be those who won't do it, it's a balancing act ... if putting them in a hotel regardless will protect most of the UK from importing and spreading a mutation of the virus then I'm afraid that having to hotel quarantine is the price they have to pay, whether they like it or not. You and I may be careful and ensure we don't spread anything but of people have been out in MHs it doesn't mean they are and will remain free from the virus in due course.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Trouble is you can't ensure that people will adhere to the quarantine rules 'at home' without supervision ... this is the strictest quarantine required for travellers from a 'high risk' country and as we know people haven't done what they should when the risk was lower so there will be those who won't do it, it's a balancing act ... if putting them in a hotel regardless will protect most of the UK from importing and spreading a mutation of the virus then I'm afraid that having to hotel quarantine is the price they have to pay, whether they like it or not. You and I may be careful and ensure we don't spread anything but of people have been out in MHs it doesn't mean they are and will remain free from the virus in due course.
Wouldn't be too sure about the powers of be not knowing, our friends returned at the end of March and had a surprise visit a few days later from one of the local PCO'S no prior notice. He had a few to visit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wouldn't be too sure about the powers of be not knowing, our friends returned at the end of March and had a surprise visit a few days later from one of the local PCO'S no prior notice. He had a few to visit
A visit, even a few, isn't the same as constant supervision though.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Trouble is you can't ensure that people will adhere to the quarantine rules 'at home' without supervision
Isn’t that what the Test & Trace mob are for? That’s why we got daily phone calls from them checking up on us.

It would be really interesting to know just how many of those who have undergone home isolation with Day 2 and Day 8 testing ended up with a positive result? Let alone a positive result with a ‘variant of concern’.

I would also like to know the same thing for those who have been incarcerated in quarantine hotels.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Isn’t that what the Test & Trace mob are for? That’s why we got daily phone calls from them checking up on us.

It would be really interesting to know just how many of those who have undergone home isolation with Day 2 and Day 8 testing ended up with a positive result? Let alone a positive result with a ‘variant of concern’.

I would also like to know the same thing for those who have been incarcerated in quarantine hotels.
There is an incubation period where you could be infected but not showing infection otherwise there'd be no need for the tests at all. As for test and trace, they can ring you but unless they speak to everyone in the home everyday how would they know there was only one of you in? You could easily go out without your mobile phone so they couldn't 'track' you. There are just too many possible areas where people could 'cheat' ... the whole point of this is to protect the population of the UK, it's not ideal but its a solution, it's far better than the alternative of not allowing anyone back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tag people, surely better than quarantine hotels.
Trouble is that it doesn't ensure that they don't interact with anyone else who may 'visit' them.

The whole point of the hotel is to isolate the returnees as much as possible, thus all meals etc will be provided (no need to shop, no home deliveries etc), all laundry done, waste will be carefully disposed of etc, whilst some may be able to do this at home you can bet some would just 'nip out for something' and totally undermine the whole point of the quarantine.

Look at what happened on the Isle of Man idiot where someone who was in a quarantine hotel nipped out to the shop to top up his sim card ... he got found out and done for it but that doesn't mitigate the risk he posed to the local store assistant who serves the rest of the community and thus if he/she had caught something from the idiot could have done so thus undermining all the protection put in place to keep it away from the island's general population.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
the whole point of this is to protect the population of the UK
IMO the population of the UK are at far greater risk from themselves on a post-lockdown jolly than from anyone returning and isolating at home for 10 days. :RollEyes:

We are never going to agree on this, Mel, and I know you always like to have the last word - and it really doesn’t matter to me - so I’ll bow out and leave you to it. :cheers:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
IMO the population of the UK are at far greater risk from themselves on a post-lockdown jolly than from anyone returning and isolating at home for 10 days. :RollEyes:

We are never going to agree on this, Mel, and I know you always like to have the last word - and it really doesn’t matter to me - so I’ll bow out and leave you to it. :cheers:
Nothing to do with my always having the last word, which isn't true by the way. I thought we were just having a nice discussion (which I find interesting and distracts me from the 'issues' I'm having with my Bell's Palsy which are driving me nuts) ... the thing with the UK population is that they aren't risking bringing in some of the possible variants that may be in the red countries, yes I know they can develop here but if a country already has known issues surely it's prudent to keep them out, or at least mitigate the risks?

Anyway, feel free to respond and I'll now zip-it if you want me to! 🤐

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just be sure the hotel has parking to leave your camper for the duration of your hotel stay.
Or pay the 10k & them off.

" France wasn't put on the red list to prevent trade difficulties" That shows it is all nonsense. France should have been added to the red list last week again.
They were quick enough to get the Portugese on it. & slow enough to get them off.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Wow opened up a hornet nest.
Spoke to B. Ferries yesterday and was told that at present requirement to quarantine at hotel from red country applies to air travel only. They could not tell me that there were any alternative plans should Spain and or France go red. Their take was that the majority of their travellers returning home are either in a car or motorhome and travelling directly to their home.
Not a conclusive answer I'm afraid.
Hope your trip happens☺️ mainly because I am booked on the same ferry I reckon..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back