M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new or used fridge to replace the Dometic RM 7655L in ours, thought it would be straight forward but with so many choices I’m wondering what is the best way forward?

Like for like?

Compressor?

Domestic, Therford or other?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
One of the issues that troubles me about replacing our fridge is that, in our van, getting the old fridge out and the new fridge in, is problematic. The opening in the habitation door may not be wide enough to get the old fridge out so I think it would need to be manhandled out of the driver or passenger door. Don't need to replace it just yet luckily.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
One of the issues that troubles me about replacing our fridge is that, in our van, getting the old fridge out and the new fridge in, is problematic. The opening in the habitation door may not be wide enough to get the old fridge out so I think it would need to be manhandled out of the driver or passenger door. Don't need to replace it just yet luckily.
Do you a bedroom window that would?
They take the door off before they man/woman/non binary handle it out.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new or used fridge to replace the Dometic RM 7655L in ours, thought it would be straight forward but with so many choices I’m wondering what is the best way forward?

Like for like?

Compressor?

So many spelling mistakes, annoying!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just had to replace mine. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, the old model was discontinued years ago, no parts etc. so "my man" has sourced an equivalent replacement from Jacksons and the van is currently in his yard. Leisureshopdirect also supply replacements so a word with either will probably elicit the info you need. I stuck with a 3-way absorption model as we are set up for that to be our best solution. We considered a compressor type but they were more expensive and would have needed some electrical "improvements".

As regards getting the old one out the plan was, if it wouldn't go through the door, to remove the bedroom window (it's the biggest) which is a 5 minute job. I'll ask when I go to collect it.

Reactions: M-J

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
If I was changing mine it would be compressor hands down!
The only caveat with that decision is the need for a good battery/charging system to power it👍
second that ..

we have a compressor fridge and it's the best ever..

two solar panels, 80w each and two 90ah batteries and it has never run them down .. modern compressor fridges (depending on size) are not juice greedy..

they work efficiently in all ambient temperatures and don't require wall vents ..

they can also freeze fresh food quickly, same as a domestic fridge/freezer

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Just had to replace mine. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, the old model was discontinued years ago, no parts etc. so "my man" has sourced an equivalent replacement from Jacksons and the van is currently in his yard. Leisureshopdirect also supply replacements so a word with either will probably elicit the info you need. I stuck with a 3-way absorption model as we are set up for that to be our best solution. We considered a compressor type but they were more expensive and would have needed some electrical "improvements".

As regards getting the old one out the plan was, if it wouldn't go through the door, to remove the bedroom window (it's the biggest) which is a 5 minute job. I'll ask when I go to collect it.

What did you take out? Was it totally knackered?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just replaced my 60 litre 3 way with a 80 litre compressor one from Magnums, so far it looks good and the solar panel and batteries seem to cope with it https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop...ridges/vitrifrigo-c85i-12v-compressor-fridge/
Quite like the idea of removing my three way & fitting a compressor fridge. Is it a reasonably straight forward job to install?
Reckon i would have to remove the passenger seat to get mine out & a new one in.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Magnums sell a stack ( 2 fridges ) one becomes a freezer for around £1200 compressor types that fit into the same hole as a lot of 3 way fridge freezer (£1400 up) IF I remember right you take the ice box out of one and it becomes a large freezer and take the ice box out of the other and run it as a large fridge/ hope that makes sense 😉
Edit forgot to say spin passenger seat and recline it to get old one out👍 and new one /ones in

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I found it straight forward to replace my old 3 way with a compressor. Make sure you terminate the gas supply properly and check the 12V supply cables are up to the job.

I had to partially dismantle the 3 way in order to get it out. I needed help to manoeuvre it out. Plan your exit route including where to temporary rest the 3 way and where you can turn it (if necessary). Measure the fridge and the exit route and you should be fine. I had less than 0.5cm each side when it went through the habitation door.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Quite like the idea of removing my three way & fitting a compressor fridge. Is it a reasonably straight forward job to install?
Reckon i would have to remove the passenger seat to get mine out & a new one in.
If the new fridge is the same size as the old one then it’s quite easy although you will probably have to move the gas pipe or just block it off, I removed mine completely . My new fridge was taller by about 200 mm but fortunately the same width. As I did the build in the first place it was easy for me to reduce the size of the wardrobe which is above the fridge.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
What did you take out? Was it totally knackered?
Pretty well, the PCB board was failing and they're no longer available, nor can they be repaired. It was still sort of working but was becoming unreliable and we just weren't prepared to go away for ant length of time or distance in case it packed up on us. The internal shelving all really needed replacing as well.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Manic had to do some work on our 3-way fridge a few years back the only way the fridge would come out of the van was to remove the drivers seat and take it out that way.
We didn’t bother, just pulled it out of its ‘home’ and worked on it in the van!
Bit different if we had to replace it tho!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All dealing done through my service guys so anything untoward is down to them, not me.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
We replaced our original Thetford with a Dometic, mainly chose that as it appeared you can replace more parts on Dometic.
Getting them out and in was a right challenge, the hab door is too narrow. Luckily we were able to feed it in via the passenger door. 3 people and abundant ripe language....

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Just heaved a Dometic 7291L (85 litre) 3-way fridge out through the door of a 2008 Lunar Fivestar - just! the door is 50cm wide so it had to go out on its side and we had to unstaple some of the metal thingy (heat shield?) on the top back (staples will refit). But out it went!
Replacing with a larger Compressor fridge which means himself will have to budge the sink up a bit ..... and cut a new worktop..... but gosh that's what weekends are for.....

Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years

same here, my old model discontinued and I also purchased a 3 way absorption model, had to be removed via pax door and seat removed. I am not very keen on the way this fridge operates, sometimes seems to have a mind of its own when trying to get it running on gas. There is also a delay after driving that the gas can be reignited.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The delay after driving is a built in safety device. It is there to prevent the gas firing up if you happen to stop for fuel and maybe cause an explosion or fire. Perfectly normal.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
I've got the same problem and windows not really big enough so I am going to take out Passenger seat for access to get old out and new one in next week. I am sticking to a 3way Taking out a RM7505 replacing with a Thetford N4545e

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015

Like for like?

Compressor?

we opted for the compressor type from jacksons, leisure had to remove the passenger seat to get it in, it fitted very well runs off our solar with one 280ah fogstar lithium uses nothing best upgrade for us apart from the solar/lithium upgrade, it can also use hook up

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
we opted for the compressor type from jacksons, leisure had to remove the passenger seat to get it in, it fitted very well runs off our solar with one 280ah fogstar lithium uses nothing best upgrade for us apart from the solar/lithium upgrade, it can also use hook up

Not sure compressor will be for me with my current set up. 2 leisure batteries and only a fold out solar panel kit that I haven’t even used.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi

Like for like?

Compressor?

we bought Thetford newish T2160 compressor fits exact same size as absorption fridge . Bigger fridge bigger freezer can run fridge and turn off freezer but you need lithium’s I use about 40 to 50amps in a 24 hour period. Wouldn’t want to go back another plus just been to Spain for 3 months only used 7 litres of lpg

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just replaced our 8555 - 3 way for a 10.5 Dometic compressor .. I had it changed by the Dometic workshop in Tewksbury they only charged me £300 for the fitting.
They had to take out and put in via the cab door as the hab door was not wide enough.. made a cracking job of it and completed within 3 hours….
Would certainty recommend

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just replaced our 8555 - 3 way for a 10.5 Dometic compressor .. I had it changed by the Dometic workshop in Tewksbury they only charged me £300 for the fitting.
They had to take out and put in via the cab door as the hab door was not wide enough.. made a cracking job of it and completed within 3 hours….
Would certainty recommend
Did they supply& fit? Cant see anything on their website regarding a fitting service.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Hi

we bought Thetford newish T2160 compressor fits exact same size as absorption fridge . Bigger fridge bigger freezer can run fridge and turn off freezer but you need lithium’s I use about 40 to 50amps in a 24 hour period. Wouldn’t want to go back another plus just been to Spain for 3 months only used 7 litres of lpg
We have a cheap 240 volt domestic under counter fridge freezer bought from Currys 7 years ago for a hundred pounds. Runs from the inverter and uses about the same 40 to 50 amp hours. We don't have lithium but do have 300 watts of solar. We don't use it in the UK in the winter though.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Not sure compressor will be for me with my current set up. 2 leisure batteries and only a fold out solar panel kit that I haven’t even used.
Winter is yer problem

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
3way expensive and don’t work well in very hot temps

12 volt compressor work well, expensive, needs extra power,

240 volt normal house fridge. Cheap (even with inverter), works great. Needs extra power.

I did the latter option. Best quality fridge I could find. Quality 800VA inverter. Extra solar, B2B, extra battery. Works great in any temp (been in up to 39 so far).

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Did they supply& fit? Cant see anything on their website regarding a fitting service.
Yes they supplied and fitted, their quote for the fridge was no more expensive than anywhere else
Dometic workshop Tewksbury 0344 6260136, sue is the manager

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back