Replacing corner washbasin on 1999 Hobby 600. (1 Viewer)

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
The corner washbasin on our 1999 Hobby 600 has seen better days. It is discoloured, and has a couple of cracks, one in the outer frame but more importantly one in the bowl which is allowing water through the crack to the cupboard below. These washbasins are now available as a spare part (reproduction) in Germany. The comments by the supplier state you need to demount the mirrors. Does anyone know the procedure?

You can see the mirrors sit on a lip formed on the washbasin.

Crack on edge of washbasin

Crack in bowl

Mirror sitting on vertical lip of washbasin

The replacement unit is available in
Goslar, Germany. As we are touring on the continent we may as well go and collect one as they so not ship this to UK.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I expect there will be screws in the lip behind the mirrors. I cant say how to get the mirrors off, as they may be glued to the wall. I cant see brackets holding the mirrors

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
My mirrors were stuck on with a sticky strip and a screw behind a cap. I would love one of those wash basins! Mine is not leaking but is looking tired and a few cracks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
You could get a replacement a lot cheaper in this country try Derek Justice GRP Leisure in Derby a ring
He made a new one for us for around £65 he has lots of moulds for different Motorhome so may have one for yours but if he doesn’t he can make a mould from your original wash basin.
This ours before and the new one which is far more substantial than the original.

C9044E60-111A-4988-A062-432C6FAF561F.jpeg

02802A83-DF16-4A52-A057-448AB86A44E6.jpeg

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I've had a quick look at my van (which looks very similar to yours?) I'm guessing something like this will work -

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
I've had a quick look at my van (which looks very similar to yours?) I'm guessing something like this will work -

Thank you very much for going to the effort to produce a video with your suggestions for the basin replacement.

We went to CampingMarkt in Goslar, Germany today to buy the new washbasin. Their stock list showed 66 in stock so now should show 65. They would not take an out-of- Germany credit card so made a quick trip to ATM about 1km away. As we were parked in their yard I installed the new unit on the spot and are now having a well earned wine. This is how I went about the job:

1. Bought the new unit and confirmed it was identical except the left hand wing was about 3cm longer then mine so I cut the end off carefully with a hacksaw.
  2. Removed right hand cabinet door to improve access to pipeworks.
  3. Removed white screws at front left and right edges of basin.
  4. Removed the centre mirror via unscrewing the brass lug screw at the bottom.
  5. Removed the light fitting from the wall which was fixed by 4 screws so that it was loose and could be moved around.
  6. Removed 2 vertical screws from right hand side of top wooden plate.
  7. Removed right hand mirror by sliding it away out of the plastic channel on the front edge. We now have the centre and right hand mirrors carefully stored.
  8. Now that right mirror is out can see that washbasin has about 6 screws on right edge fixing it to wall and a similar number of screws are behind left hand mirror awaiting removal.
  9. Removed drain pipe and cut water supply lines.
  10. Wiggled basin and lifted it s little and it started to come out but screws behind bottom of left hand mirror caused lip on old basin to break at each screw point.
  11. Basin now removed but there are still 6 fixing screws at bottom of left hand mirror.
  12. Removed lug screw at bottom left of mirror but top would not budge (possibly due to top wooden plate still being in position.
  13. Decided to use file and remove plastic from back lip where screws would normally go as original screws are still in position.
  14. Fitted new wash basin with new mixer tap in reverse order of above.
  15. Fitted new drain fitting with vertical shute to waste pipe rather than silly 90° bend immediately under old drain.
  16. Added 3 vertical timbers underneath bowl to support left lip of basin in absence of fixing screws.
  17. Job finished.
  18. Time for wine down ?.
received_365031410826984.jpeg

Right hand mirror slides away from one-self and is partly held in.position by the vertical light fitting.

received_2394999437260223.jpeg

The old basin looking forlorn after removal.

IMG_20190722_203236.jpg

New basin and new mixer tap in position and looking 100% on the old one and not leaking!

Last edited:

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
So all the action is behind that light fitting! That's good to know for the future :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You could get a replacement a lot cheaper in this country try Derek Justice GRP Leisure in Derby a ring
He made a new one for us for around £65 he has lots of moulds for different Motorhome so may have one for yours but if he doesn’t he can make a mould from your original wash basin.
This ours before and the new one which is far more substantial than the original.

View attachment 318539
View attachment 318538

Thank you. I want one for my Burstner .. Does he fit them too please?

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Do you think he would fit it for me if I drove there .. obviiously paying the going rate..?
You could give him a call and ask. He's a really friendly chap.

I'll pm you his number. Not sure if it's allowed to post phone numbers.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Do you think he would fit it for me if I drove there .. obviiously paying the going rate..?
Give him a ring Joy he is very obliging ...if we had still been in Lancashire Max would have fit it for you no problem but we are South Wales now

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
What a nice chap you are Motorhome-dude (But I knew that). I hope you’re enjoying this fabulous forum. It really is a pleasure to see folks sharing and spreading their motorhome knowledge and expertise. It warms my heart!??
That's a really nice thing to say. Thank you :)
Hopefully, we'll meet up at a show or a rally sometime soon and we can share a pint...or three :)

Dave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back