Renovating badly scratched plastic cutting board (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
20190226_091634.jpg
20190226_091650.jpg

using an orbital sander and a couple of different grades of sandpaper I had lying around !

obviously finish with the finer grade. has come up quite well and saved me buying a brand new one, though now of course she will spend the money on something else BECAUSE she has saved by not having to buy a new cutting board. great economic principles, spend what you have saved because the new purchase is actually free and isn't costing anything ....

good job she doesn't count both sides as a separate item and therefore saves AND spends twice as much ....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, good job, but you is cruising for a brusing. :gum:

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Looks great, thought this was going to be asking for advice and I was going to suggest sanding it back!

Must check ours as I’ve never actually looked at it yet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
So,now you need to cut a nice round piece from another cutting board,attach it to the one you’ve repaired,so that it doesn’t get damaged again...........but then you need another one to cover the protector.....oh dear,you are going to be busy.
And I really should get on with all my own jobs instead of wasting your time on here!:D:D:LOL::LOL:;);)

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I wonder if using your technique, it can remove wrinkles? :)
No. But perhaps filler (or make up ) might work ..

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
The previous owners of our Hymer have done the same to the top/lid/cover of our hob, but it looks like some sort of glass, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
photos?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
The previous owners of our Hymer have done the same to the top/lid/cover of our hob, but it looks like some sort of glass, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

here they are, the piccies only show one part, but its the same all over and fairly deep (?) I've just tried G3, no difference, I'm thinking take it off and spraying it with several coats of clear lacquer (as much as it needs ?) what do you think ??
P1330920.JPG
P1330920.JPG
P1330921.JPG
P1330922.JPG

Attachments

• P1330923.JPG
    P1330923.JPG
    604.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think you need to think of buying a new one! g3 is good, but I don't think it would touch marks in a 'glass' hob like that and anything you put on it is likely to come off.

if buying a new on isn't an option, then perhaps a thin sheet of acrylic bonded onto it would make it look better? then you could also make up a couple of cutting boards to match?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
many thanks for your reply and thoughts, worth thinking about, but I'd have to get it past SWMBO :D

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
The problem, (to my of thinking ?) is that basically apart from the scratches there’s nothing wrong with it, a replacement is just over £100.00, not sure if we’ve got a local breaker, so ever since we’ve owned it we’ve kept he top covered over with some plastic sink thingys

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
If it does what its supposed to do and youre both happy with it, then leave it as it is and spend the money elsewhere. If you replaced it with a new one you would probably end up worrying about scratching it !

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
If it does what its supposed to do and youre both happy with it, then leave it as it is and spend the money elsewhere. If you replaced it with a new one you would probably end up worrying about scratching it !

your correct MisterB, so the money stays in the pocket, incidentally we're at "Orchards" (St Osyth in a couple of weeks time) your neck of the woods

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
that's a bloody big camp site! shame about the location ..... though it is right on the beach so that's a plus !

I didn't realise they had a touring area/section. I thought they were all statics and lodges?

ps, there is a local caravan dismantlers who advertise on ebay, if your hob is pretty common they might have a suitable one at a fraction of the new price?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
ps, there is a local caravan dismantlers who advertise on ebay, if your hob is pretty common they might have a suitable one at a fraction of the new price?

Sorry, but can you remember who they are or where they are ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
View attachment 286128 View attachment 286129

using an orbital sander and a couple of different grades of sandpaper I had lying around !

obviously finish with the finer grade. has come up quite well and saved me buying a brand new one, though now of course she will spend the money on something else BECAUSE she has saved by not having to buy a new cutting board. great economic principles, spend what you have saved because the new purchase is actually free and isn't costing anything ....

good job she doesn't count both sides as a separate item and therefore saves AND spends twice as much ....

Well done, a nice job, if only mine was as easy

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
The original tip for scratched chopping board must be the Best Tip Of The Year.
I inherited the chopping bard with the MH and it was in a horrible state ... deeply marked where someone had cut round a lid shape and deep, deep mark.
Your tip works wonderfully, I would just add; use short single passes and after every single pass clean away the dust completely. If you do not clear away the dust the friction spin of the sander melts the dust back onto the surface and bonds back to the board making an unsightly skin - as if you've put masking tape or super glue on.
Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back