Removing under-dash panel on Ducato X290 (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have prompted hubby again to do something about the cold feet in drivers footwell. We have revisited the original thread by mikebeaches
and I have ordered some round vents to insert I n the foot rest.
Although there are some great instructions posted by Derry Wilson , hubby is stuck because the large under dash panel seems to be preventing access to the self tapping screws that secure the footrest.
Can anyone help with removal of this panel. He has removed the screws accessible from the top but the panel is held in securely at each top corner shown below.
BD17873D-7C2C-4092-BDAC-F6E29A5F1C1B.jpeg
4EF70B71-E200-485B-8D64-FD8B253DF9CA.jpeg

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have prompted hubby again to do something about the cold feet in drivers footwell. We have revisited the original thread by mikebeaches
and I have ordered some round vents to insert I n the foot rest.
Although there are some great instructions posted by Derry Wilson , hubby is stuck because the large under dash panel seems to be preventing access to the self tapping screws that secure the footrest.
Can anyone help with removal of this panel. He has removed the screws accessible from the top but the panel is held in securely at each top corner shown below.
View attachment 356130View attachment 356131
I don't think that is the panel that was removed on my van?

It was the foot rest for the left foot, on a right-hand-drive van with comfortmatic.

However, the centre console in our X290 has the laptop size glovebox in the centre, like on all of the older X250 models, rather than the central cup holders - so I'm not sure if that makes any difference?

As I mentioned in my original post, unfortunately, I didn't remove the footrest myself; it was the senior technician at the Fiat garage that did it.

We haven't bothered trying to modify the footrest, but just have it removed and the heating in the footwell is now pretty good. The problem was, the footrest panel was just directing the warm air that comes from the centre console, up under the dash, instead of on your feet - great design!!! ;)

Hope you are able to sort it...

I

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don't think that is the panel that was removed on my van?

It was the foot rest for the left foot, on a right-hand-drive van with comfortmatic.

However, the centre console in our X290 has the laptop size glovebox in the centre, like on all of the older X250 models, rather than the central cup holders - so I'm not sure if that makes any difference?

As I mentioned in my original post, unfortunately, I didn't remove the footrest myself; it was the senior technician at the Fiat garage that did it.

We haven't bothered trying to modify the footrest, but just have it removed and the heating in the footwell is now pretty good. The problem was, the footrest panel was just directing the warm air that comes from the centre console, up under the dash, instead of on your feet - great design!!! ;)

Hope you are able to sort it...

I
Thanks Mike, we can see the screws, that need to be removed at the top of the footrest, by shining a torch up under this panel we cannot remove. I expect it is just clipped in but requires too much bravery!
As you probably can see from the photo, it’s not a centre console problem.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
One thought, himself has just had, is to cut the hole for the vent with the footrest in situ.
Do you think this is feasible?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
One thought, himself has just had, is to cut the hole for the vent with the footrest in situ.
Do you think this is feasible?
I guess that is a possibility and it might be worth a try?

However, if I recall, others that cut a hole designed some sort of makeshift ducting behind the panel to aid the airflow.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
2 screws hold pocket in place one left (visible 1st picky) rhs 2nd picky 25 torqs.
3rd picky is top vent removed (a screw at bottom visble when pocket removed) not replaced last time. Yes brute force and levers required. Not difficult 3rd time around.[/url]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks, it’s off now!
Unfortunately I ordered 100mm vents by mistake so we have to wait until the 60mm ones come but I could only find black ones made by Hafele from a German supplier so will be a week or two.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Hi,
I have the same problem on you Apache 634.
Blocked off the vents behind the wheelarch on nearside (the offside already had covers fitted) but still draughty in footwell.
The idea of the footwell air vent blowing air over cold bulkhead surfaces resulting in cold draughts is quite feasible and i will certainly poke around under ours to have a look.
Please keep this thread going and keep us posted as to progress.
Many thanks.

dbw

Feb 16, 2014
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740plus
Exp
Since 2014
I operated on our 2018 A class removing most of the footrest after freezing my feet on winter trips, it was a definite improvement but still fairly feeble compared to the passenger footwell. Further investigation, hanging upside down with my head on the brake pedal, revealed that the heating outlet on the driver’s side terminated about 18 inches higher up vs the passenger side. I created/bodged an extension from plastic cut from a 5 litre screen wash container, moulded with a hair dryer and held together with gaffer tape! Not a thing of beauty but so effective my feet are now too hot when my co pilot is comfortably warm. It was, however, a pig of a job to do!! Small hands definitely an advantage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back