Relay, Boxer or Ducato (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Everyone... My wife and I are looking to buy a pre-reg of one of the above vans. Is there anything which one of the above outshines the other. I'm not mechanically minded so I really haven't got a clue about which engine to go for etc. Really looking for help from you guys. I look forward to hearing from you.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
They are very similar, and I believe all built in the same factory.

But one significant difference is that the Fiat Ducato is the only one you can get with an automatic gearbox. More accurately, a semi-automatic - the comfortmatic gearbox is a manual, but with an automatic clutch (so no clutch pedal).

Our Ducato van has got a comfortmatic gearbox, which is very agreeable. (y)

Oh and :welcome3: !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
... Is there anything which one of the above outshines the other
In a word, no ... the differences are basically badge engineering except that the Boxer/Relay have a different (Peugeot) engine to the Ducato (Iveco) and are not available with the auto box.
It's worth looking for one with the Technico (Fiat), Professional (Peugeot) or Enterprise (Citroen) extras pack included as this gives you air con, cruise control, reverse warning beepers, an alarm and a stereo upgrade - and even better if you can find one that has a single passenger seat and no bulkhead: they do exist, usually as cancelled orders from someone who was going to convert them into a motor caravan!

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
All built in the Sevel factory in Italy, with the model reference of x290. Fiat's have a different engine, as stated. Also, a different method of achieving euro 6 emissions, although both methods are fine.

Apart from the engines and a few bits of exterior trim, they are identical. All are great vans, and ideal for converting.

Whilst looking at pre-registered, consider a dealer purchase. I got 49% discount on ours, and was able to specify exactly what we wanted. Lead times are quite long at the mo' though.

w2f

Last edited:

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Citroen / Peugeot has a ford engine (timing chain), you can spec the 160bhp one. That's why there is no autobox option - the Fiat autobox works with the Fiat engine only. The Fiat has a timing belt (check mileage due if you buy secondhand).

Citroen / Peugeot are adblue with 90 litre fuel tank,
Fiat is EGR valve with 90 or 120 litre tank.

Go for a 16" wheel version. Make sure you spec cruise and AC.
Go ideally for something above 130bhp.

See if you can get test drives and see what prices are like - it may be a question of deciding on the deals you can get rather than the difference in branding.

When you get it join up here and post up the photos of your conversion!! :)

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Citroen / Peugeot has a ford engine (timing chain)
No more - the euro 6 ones have a Peugeot 2L engine (cam belt) for all powers from 110 - 160 bhp. All are more torquey than the older 2.2L Ford engines of similar power, and there is little difference in torque between the 130 and the 160 (just more revs in the latter).

If buying new there are some options which are only available from certain marques: Citroen don't offer bonded glass in the side door, Peugeot do; Peugeot give the option of no bulkhead, Citroen only offer full bulkhead or ladder bulkhead; Citroen offer swivelling captain seats, I don't think Peugeot do (not sure about Fiat); Citroen include a dealer fitted tracker, Peugeot don't (AFAIK) - etc. etc.

Underneath, they're the same van though.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Interesting, I have a Peugeot car with their famous 1.9tdi in and it goes like a champ (and goes on forever) so that's good: especially the more torque bit!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The bottom line is they are mechanically matched. If you are buying from a pre-reg list, just pick one that meets your spec and ignore the badge.

2SLEDGE

Free Member
Apr 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
DONT OWN ONE YET
Exp
NEWBE
DONT GET THE FIAT WITH THE SEMI AUTO BOX WE HAVE 12 AT WORK AS MINI BUS FOR CLIENTS AND HAVE BEEN A NIGHTMARE FROM DAY ONE WITH THE CLUTCH CONTROL MODUELS

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Like many others on here we have Fiat with Comfortmatic and 150 bhp engine. 30,000 seamless miles at approx 30 mpg. Used properly the Comfortmatic box is good, I suspect multiple drivers can be an issue.

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Just to add to this, you can't order a L3 or L4 H2 in anything other than white ATM due to supply (lack of) and demand and a new plant being built.
They say you have a year wait at least for a coloured van.
Didn't know the citroen doesnt come with auto? IO have a 67 dispatch and its 180hp model with auto box? Great gearbox BTW, would probably not spec on the van conversion tho just 1 less reliability concern to worry about in the future I suppose...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back