reccomended sites for lake constance? (1 Viewer)

homeruk

Free Member
Jul 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
ducato self build
Exp
we are looking to go to lake constance in germany in a few weeks time..euro tunnel booked, although only a short trip being 11 days door to door,
we are experienced in abroad being on our second self build and having been spain a few times both driving down and also ferry to santander, toured the moselle, and driven down through germany on a italy run
done the tow a motorbike thing..its a no from the other half, bought a small car and trailer and sold the trailer as soon as we got back..found it all very stressful being the length of a train when ending up down dead end side roads in the middle of nowhere! so we are now going down the e-bike route..god help us
we will stay a trier for an overnight then the next day down to constence, any advice on where to stop at? maybe two sites for the duration, dont really want to pack up all the time moving on.been doing that for the last few years..time age back problems creaping in!
been looking for adult only sites but coming back with nothing..nothing wrong with kids just want it a bit quieter
would prefer a proper site for security reasons when leaving gear behind and idealy with EASY very EASY cycle routes to pot along..all a big ask i know
also we tend to go just out of season but sadly this year having to go first week in september

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I live only 5 km from Lake Constance.
Our town of Radolfzell has just completely rebuilt a large Stellplatz on the Mettnau, which looks quite nice, if somewhat pricey.
But I would thoroughly recommend the Stellplatz at Überlingen. Especially for a limited-time stop.

Überlingen itself a great, small town, with a lively promenade full of cafes and a clean traffic-free shopping street, but possibly the main attraction is that it is possible to do so many things starting from there.
There are excellent dedicated cycle paths which are almost flat, going along the lake.
I worked in Überlingen for a few years, and in the summer on my lunch breaks, I used to cycle 7km to the harbor at Unteruhldingen (next to the prehistoric Pfahlbau museum) to eat my sandwiches.

From Überlingen there is a boat for foot passengers with or without bikes, which goes to Wallhausen opposite.
From there it is possible to ride 8km to the island of Mainau with its tropical plants, or continue on to Konstanz old town which would be 14km.

Other possibilities would be :
- cycle 14 km to the car ferry at Meersburg and go to Konstanz on that.
- catch a boat directly from Überlingen to Mainau or Konstanz or anywhere else on the lake.
- cycle 9 km to the Affenberg at Salem, where you can walk among the free-roaming monkeys
- and if you are reasonably fit, cycle 55 km along the lake to the island of Lindau (which is definitely worth visiting) or 64 km to the town of Bregenz in Austria (you can always ride one way and then take the boat back, or a train).

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I forgot to mention that 1st week in September is the last week of the school holidays here, so it will be very busy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BrianF

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2015
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Hi LIne
Exp
Since 2015
We have stayed at the Stellplatz at Überlingen once you work our the payment system its a decent site that's close to town - you get a free bus pass into town with your fee or can take a 15 min wander. Town is great and the cycling routes around the lake are well marked.

Emptying toilets or refilling with water takes some local knowledge - to the right of the shop and bistro is a service point that when you drop 50c in turns into thunderbird 2 ! efficient but weird :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back