Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
SAM_2081.jpg
SAM_2081.jpg
This is our third A class van, 2 hymers and now this little 2005 concorde.

We have had some awful storms up here highly exposed on top o
SAM_2081.jpg
f the moors, extremely high winds and swirling rain, raining upwards at times.

Both Hyme r garages leaked, not surprising really given the severity of the location.
Touch wood I know but this Concorde is dry as a bone so far fingers crossed, I always take a deep breath when I check the garage after a storm.

I don't want to sound too happy cos the more you take take summat to the well it will eventually give in,

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Both Hyme r garages leaked, not surprising really given the severity of the location.
Touch wood I know but this Concorde is dry as a bone so far fingers crossed, I always take a deep breath when I check the garage after a storm.

I don't want to sound too happy cos the more you take take summat to the well it will eventually give in,

Were the doors on the Hymer larger, possibly flexing more?

Ian

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Were the doors on the Hymer larger, possibly flexing more?

Ian

Luckily the large garage door on the Concorde is on the other, less exposed side, but yes both Hymers had big doors both sides so you have made a good point, they both did p1ss water in though and nothing I did could stop it.
When you get this level of exposure something has to give eventually, storm Desmond blew most of the house roof off I kid you not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last Hymer a 2014 Exsis the garage door leaked in gale force storms if facing the windward side. Seal replaced under warranty and it was fine.
Current Hymer 2017 BDL has double door seals on the garage door, no problems.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But yours is from the era when they built them properly Paul, our Flair I can go around the locker doors with a pressure washer and all stays dry.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our rear garage is on the back wall it door has a fluffy seal around before the rubber seal, I guess it is to keep road dirt out of the seals but it needs a good clean from time to time and a PW from a reasonably safe distance does the trick, after washing I open all the lockers to wipe around the frame and seals and they are always bone dry(y)

Martin

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
But yours is from the era when they built them properly Paul, our Flair I can go around the locker doors with a pressure washer and all stays dry.

Martin

Yes I'll go along with that Martin, put it this way, without the fear of upsetting anyone, I wouldn't have a Concorde from 2007 onwards. In 2006 Concorde invested in an expensive new press to meet increased demand, that was the start of the deterioration in my view.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I'll go along with that Martin, put it this way, without the fear of upsetting anyone, I wouldn't have a Concorde from 2007 onwards. In 2006 Concorde invested in an expensive new press to meet increased demand, that was the start of the deterioration in my view.
I think a lot of companies suffered the same fate around the same time, new vans have certainly advanced in terms of technology especially in the base chassis BUT I don't think all this technology is always to the benefit of the customer in the long term, I think in many situations they are removing some of the heavier quality build features to save weight to fit these techno gizmo's, and then there is just plain old penny pinching;)

Martin

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think a lot of companies suffered the same fate around the same time, new vans have certainly advanced in terms of technology especially in the base chassis BUT I don't think all this technology is always to the benefit of the customer in the long term, I think in many situations they are removing some of the heavier quality build features to save weight to fit these techno gizmo's, and then there is just plain old penny pinching;)

Martin

Its a bit of both you are right, I,m all for advancing but not at the expense of build quality, the lightweight construction is a step backward. What I don't understand is if you look at say a Hymer from the late nineties or before, it is still the same weight, 3500kg, 4600kg etc but it does seem much better put together.
I am sure a lot of it is penny pinching and saving money.

But back to the question Martin, you wouldn't jet wash you van around the doors/bodywork all day, all night and then again the next day which is what we are subject to.
Something has to give in the end surely, cant have a garage built because the only place is on the second drive which is in front of the front elevation of the original house, it was going to be 3.9 metres tall, even with traditional building materials(timber) painted the same colour as the original house sash windows, reclaimed bricks to match the house were a no no, sash windows in the garage.
Sometimes you just have to accept defeat.
No indoor storage around here either.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its a bit of both you are right, I,m all for advancing but not at the expense of build quality, the lightweight construction is a step backward. What I don't understand is if you look at say a Hymer from the late nineties or before, it is still the same weight, 3500kg, 4600kg etc but it does seem much better put together.
I am sure a lot of it is penny pinching and saving money.

But back to the question Martin, you wouldn't jet wash you van around the doors/bodywork all day, all night and then again the next day which is what we are subject to.
Something has to give in the end surely, cant have a garage built because the only place is on the second drive which is in front of the front elevation of the original house, it was going to be 3.9 metres tall, even with traditional building materials(timber) painted the same colour as the original house sash windows, reclaimed bricks to match the house were a no no, sash windows in the garage.
Sometimes you just have to accept defeat.
No indoor storage around here either.
Good job it doesn't leak then(y) if it hasn't already I see no reason why it should start unless the seals deteriorate.

Good to see your local planners are looking after the views of your neighbours;) sheep have rights as well you know.

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just for anyone reading this thread for general information on garages and propensity to leak:_

We have a N&B Arto from 2003. Our garage has a seal so tight that I have to put considerable knee pressure against the bottom of the door to be able to turn the latches. I am happy that this is so, because it is 16 years old and in our 10 years of ownership, and probably not before either, there have been no leaks.

Geoff

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just for anyone reading this thread for general information on garages and propensity to leak:_

We have a N&B Arto from 2003. Our garage has a seal so tight that I have to put considerable knee pressure against the bottom of the door to be able to turn the latches. I am happy that this is so, because it is 16 years old and in our 10 years of ownership, and probably not before either, there have been no leaks.

Geoff

Yes another cracking build van, but Niesmann garages have had their fair share of leaks in the garage area. Even the head salesman, Jurgen, when doing the factory tour said they have had lots of problems over the years with this, the bigger the door the harder it was to keep water out he said.
I have seen top of the range Clou's p1ss water in too, in fact at the big German dealer, Bernard Gluck Munich, they had 2 Clous and there was a huge thunderstorm whilst we were there, afterwards both garages had a good inch of water in them, one on a MAN and one an Iveco Eurocargo, 2004 and 2007 respectively.
Tell tale sign is that awful after fit gutter strip above the garage doors which the MAN one had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back