Re-Mapping a Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I know there has been a lot of threads on this subject but I can't find the answer I am looking for. I would like a bit more power from my 2011 Fiat Ducato 130 multyjet. I believe I have 130 BHP and I am beginning to weaken and am thinking about a Re map to 150bhp to give me a bit more power on hills. My concern is the Fiat's Achilles heel, the gearbox and clutch. My Previous 2009 Ducato gearbox gave up at twenty five thousand miles. The syncro went and I had to get the gearbox rebuilt by Fiat. My current 2011 Ducato clutch hydraulic system packed up at thirty eight thousand miles. Its recently been repaired and a new clutch fitted. My worry is will the increased power strain the clutch and cause more problems. I'm told by various people that I have just been unlucky with my Fiat's, but I have seen loads of comments from people who have had similar issues. What I would like to know is how many people have had there's remapped and if they have had clutch problems.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ahem.
Forgive me but you seem to answer your own question?
Overpower a weak point and it will surely break?
P.s. I am jealous as my 1999 model is pre-mapping but then on the plus side I don't have to worry about a super complicated ECU.
Could you look at improved air flow instead?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I had mine done by RMB motors near dewsbury who are a Celtic tuning agent
It was done at same time as clutch was replaced due to slipping I had the economy map done as it gives a little more power and smooths out the power range
30,000 miles later no problems so far
The van drives much better especially at around 1800 to 2000 rpm and is giving around 31 to gallon a improvement of about 3 miles per gallon
The main reason for mapping was to do away with EGR valve this being blanked off and mapped out of system
Would I do it again yes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Ahem.
Forgive me but you seem to answer your own question?
Overpower a weak point and it will surely break?
P.s. I am jealous as my 1999 model is pre-mapping but then on the plus side I don't have to worry about a super complicated ECU.
Could you look at improved air flow instead?

I used to have a 2001 Fiat 2.8 JDi I think it was. I often wished I had kept it. No problems with it what so ever. Trouble is in France 82% of motorhomes are on a Fiat Ducato base vehicle and I'm told each year that the problems have been sorted, but it doesn't seem so in my case.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I had mine done by RMB motors near dewsbury who are a Celtic tuning agent
It was done at same time as clutch was replaced due to slipping I had the economy map done as it gives a little more power and smooths out the power range
30,000 miles later no problems so far
The van drives much better especially at around 1800 to 2000 rpm and is giving around 31 to gallon a improvement of about 3 miles per gallon
The main reason for mapping was to do away with EGR valve this being blanked off and mapped out of system
Would I do it again yes

Thanks Peter & Elaine, useful information. Much appreciated.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Had ours done at Quntumn Tuning Stoke on Trent. Took ours from 130 to 160BHP. If you want to start at the gates and race...you will burn out the cultch. If you want to have the extra grunt for uphills and possibly towing..It is well worth its weight (Cost) trust me. We had no problems with the clutch at all once it was done. Just use common sense and take the time to engage gear and pull away slowly. There is no need to race at all.
Big difference in our truck after it was done. Well worth the pennies!

Kev

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Had ours done at Quntumn Tuning Stoke on Trent. Took ours from 130 to 160BHP. If you want to start at the gates and race...you will burn out the cultch. If you want to have the extra grunt for uphills and possibly towing..It is well worth its weight (Cost) trust me. We had no problems with the clutch at all once it was done. Just use common sense and take the time to engage gear and pull away slowly. There is no need to race at all.
Big difference in our truck after it was done. Well worth the pennies!

Kev
How many miles have you done since the re map?

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Being a former automotive transmission design manager I have thought about the Ducato clutch/gearbox 'problem'.
On different Ducato's I have had diff gear failure and clutch slave cylinder failure.

When a system, say a clutch is specified we size the system based on torque, speed etc. but also on thermal capacity etc. with respect to slipping and the ability of the system to direct the heat away from the clutch surfaces etc.

The Ducato has a very low first gear and it is very easy but also very unecessary to slip the clutch
You can usually engage first at tickover.
I consider although I am not altogether sure this is a factor to consider.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Being a former automotive transmission design manager I have thought about the Ducato clutch/gearbox 'problem'.
On different Ducato's I have had diff gear failure and clutch slave cylinder failure.

When a system, say a clutch is specified we size the system based on torque, speed etc. but also on thermal capacity etc. with respect to slipping and the ability of the system to direct the heat away from the clutch surfaces etc.

The Ducato has a very low first gear and it is very easy but also very unecessary to slip the clutch
You can usually engage first at tickover.
I consider although I am not altogether sure this is a factor to consider.
What about the extra torque provided by re mapping when going up hill?

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Does the 130, 150 and 180 have a different clutch plate, gearbox or clutch slave, I believed they were exactly the same across the range of this engine with possibly a lighter plate in the 130?

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
What about the extra torque provided by re mapping when going up hill?
Yes. That could be an issue but only if it can be delivered at the clutch.
Vehicles can be torque limited or slip limited.
The Ducato being FWD will slip the driving wheels at quite a low torque despite the axle load, so I suspect it is safe in this respect.
Torque capacity of the clutch is related to the size and clamp load of the diaphragm.
It depends on the failure mode. If just worn out at 30k , too much slipping.
If glazed, too much slipping/heat.

However Ducato's do seem to suffer random midlife failures which are the hardest to diagnose and cure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back