Raw or not (3 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2018
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
JPEG only as advised by a professional photographer I spent the day with on a photo shoot day. He only shoots JPEG and always has, he has made his living from it for 25 years!!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I usually only shoot raw if I know that I'm going to do significant post processing, if it's quick snapshots of the grandchildren etc. then it would be jpeg. When I shot for a league football club some years back I only shot jpeg but camera buffers were slower to clear in those days.

I had tried shooting raw and jpeg in my current full frame body as it has two card slots but it shoots at 20 frames per second and the buffer will fill in seconds if I shoot both but I still remember the awful experience of card failure after a days shoot in New York so I still shoot to both cards sometimes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
JPEG only as advised by a professional photographer I spent the day with on a photo shoot day. He only shoots JPEG and always has, he has made his living from it for 25 years!!
A pro photographer chooses to lose picture quality & detail, in camera, at the point of taking the shot?
They’d be a rarity IMO.

I’d rather lose picture info in the computer later with simple post processing - which, in my usage, could just be to convert to jpeg as is, or a more complicated pic when I’ve chosen to swap a smile for a frown in a group photos.

edit: a big advantage of digital photography is being able to take lots of pics.
Later you’d have to look for the ones worth presenting and that plus a format conversion isn’t much longer than just selecting. IMO

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Realistically - will you spend the time required to post process all your photos?
I soon discovered I wasn't going to invest the time necessary... as the majority of my photos are transient mementos.
The easy life i was referring to was convincing swmbo she should have my cast offs and buy another camera for me.
As said i rarely post process, but , i have found the odd occasion when some numpty has left camera left on manual with totally inappropriate settings and just used as a point and shoot. Pherhaps i should learn to set to auto before turning off.
Still haven't decided, not been anywhere to take any photos. However i have manipulated some old stuff i had lying around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back