Ramp for disabled (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autotrail apache 637l
Exp
We have had a carrier put on the back of our van for my husbands mobility scooter the only problem is we have to lift it on and off the carrier and it is heavy, we could do with a portable ramp to run it up and also for my husband to get into the van has he finds the steps difficult with crutches, has anyone any helpful suggestions please .

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have you tried ebay? just search "disabled ramp" there are a few different types on there at the moment. Good luck

Steveonley

Free Member
May 14, 2014
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 636L
Exp
Ramp may be tricky as could be too steep to go from ground to level needed. How about a powered lift ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Easy lifter could do the chair, a long enough ramp for the passenger could present storage problems. I guess you need to subscribe in order to answer. A long ramp would also need a handrail to be safe.

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
Lloyds Pharmacy web site has a 'better living' section, they offer a selection of ramps at reasonable prices and will, if appropriate, let you have it VAT free. OT's have advised us that best length for the ramp is one giving a 1:12 angle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
OT's have advised us that best length for the ramp is one giving a 1:12 angle.
Is that for a manual or an electric chair?

1:12 is fine for a permenant house ramp, if you've got the room. If you want to get into a vehicle, you may find that it suggests a ramp that's too long to be practical. Into any sort of van, it will work out at 18ft or more, which just isn't realistic - not if you then want to take the ramp with you.

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
OT's answered my query 1:12 for a manual wheelchair and were quoting Building regs. They said that for assisted use the recommended gradient would be no steeper than 1:6. They also said that free advise on Wheelchair ramps can be found at http://www.wheelchair-ramps.co.uk tel no. 01608 663759. Hope that helps.
Social Services were't much help said leaving the house was"low priority" and said if we hadn't heard from them after 14 weeks to get back to them! We couldn't leave the house for a month, made my own ramp in the end from 18mm pli - 2ft long for 4inch drop. Works so far.
Good luck.

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Hi
I have a rack fitted to my motorhome at carry my mobility Scooter.
like you i was finding it difficult to lift it on and off, my solution was to purchase two motorcycle loading ramps of e bay. they weren't to expensive and made from alloy they are not to heavy. They fold so i carry them in my under bed storage locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back