Rally Chat Rallies/Meets In France - Campsite Suggestions Please :) (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are looking into organising rallies/meets in France as, although many of us are happy to use a combination of aires, France Passion, ACSI & Municipal campsites most of the time, quite a few Funsters have suggested that a rally or meet or two there might be good :)
If any of you have stayed on beautiful or well located campsites then please post details on here.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If youre looking to do a 'rolling rally' - a couple of nights here and a couple of nights there, then i can recommend Camping Le Ragis at Challans, Vendee where we have our mobile home. Swimming pools inc one enclosed but no bar other than snack bar. Massive open field with hook ups and waste disposal/emptying point and you could use the barn for social events. I could help with the arrangements to make it easier if it would help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If youre looking to do a 'rolling rally' - a couple of nights here and a couple of nights there, then i can recommend Camping Le Ragis at Challans, Vendee where we have our mobile home. Swimming pools inc one enclosed but no bar other than snack bar. Massive open field with hook ups and waste disposal/emptying point and you could use the barn for social events. I could help with the arrangements to make it easier if it would help?
Thank you for the suggestion & your kind offer :hi5: - it's just an idea that we are exploring at the moment but may PM you at some point.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thank you for the suggestion & your kind offer :hi5: - it's just an idea that we are exploring at the moment but may PM you at some point.
no problems

I think its a pretty good idea, especially if its a few nights here and there. France is so big and varied that there are plenty of opportunities for variety etc.

how about taking in some of the chateau's on chateau in france diy tv programme. I reckon it would be quite popular to visit Mr and Mrs Strawbridge and the friends they have made at different chateau's and help support their restorations.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
no problems

I think its a pretty good idea, especially if its a few nights here and there. France is so big and varied that there are plenty of opportunities for variety etc.

how about taking in some of the chateau's on chateau in france diy tv programme. I reckon it would be quite popular to visit Mr and Mrs Strawbridge and the friends they have made at different chateau's and help support their restorations.
Have almost contacted them a few times before as thought the same!

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
This interests us alot.
After many years of caravanning and just 4 years of motorhoming in the UK we are buying all the bits and pieces you need to travel through France/Spain. Even getting our little dog blood tests done in case of a hard B**x*t!
My only thought is do we go abroad in September and extend our summer sun or leave it until March and get an early tan?
I have been watching the weather at various places in France/Spain/Portugal over the winter months and a late break is a bit of hit and miss bearing in mind the further south you go the better chance you have of warmer weather. Any thought would be welcome.

When would you think you would arrange the rallies for?

Thx Chris.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have loved watching Return to the Chateau DIY. Even looked at the possibility of a night under the stars in Dick and Angels dome - but at over £300 per night I’m afraid it's not an option. I would however love to visit their place.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This interests us alot.
After many years of caravanning and just 4 years of motorhoming in the UK we are buying all the bits and pieces you need to travel through France/Spain. Even getting our little dog blood tests done in case of a hard B**x*t!
My only thought is do we go abroad in September and extend our summer sun or leave it until March and get an early tan?
I have been watching the weather at various places in France/Spain/Portugal over the winter months and a late break is a bit of hit and miss bearing in mind the further south you go the better chance you have of warmer weather. Any thought would be welcome.

When would you think you would arrange the rallies for?

Thx Chris.
Good to hear that there is some interest in this idea :) - currently looking at April, May & /or September so less likely to clash with UK meets & rallies.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I am assuming this for 2020? or September this year?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I am assuming this for 2020? or September this year?
We plan a year ahead so for us it would have to be next year but nothing stopping other Funsters organising one or two for this year &/or next year.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I thought there was one organised at Twin Lakes France every year?, or is that not the case this year, it was always fully subscribed I believe, and very popular for the fishermen.
There is of course the owners clubs, many organise foreign rallies in and around Europe. Carthago Owners Club do a couple each year, but can be pricey venues, like Lake Bled in Slovenia last year for 10 days, too far out for us newbies for first foreign rally.
The CCC did one last year in Spain, good especially for anyone going solo.
There was an informal roll up meet, roll out when you like, in The Mosel recently, would have loved to have gone but wrong time for us as tied up with hospital appointments.
Good luck, hope there will be an opportunity for a MH FUN foreign rally this year, defo next.
Their GReaaaaaaaaT! and dont need any sugar coating to entice me (y):D
Les

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why not do both? That is what we have done for the last few years. This year we are at present in Portugal after spending some time in France and Spain. And we are thinking of going to Italy in the autumn.

But we nevet make any definitive plans. Instead we just check the weather forecast when we arrive at Calais, and head for the warmest bits.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Thanks, just bought 'All the Aires' France and looking at doing the West coast of France, down to southern Spain then visit family in the Algarve before heading back via Portugal.
Big trip but what the heck. My only concern is frozen water tanks coming back through France in January.
Maybe our first trip will be France in September then the big one early next year hence the interest in this thread.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, just bought 'All the Aires' France and looking at doing the West coast of France, down to southern Spain then visit family in the Algarve before heading back via Portugal.
Big trip but what the heck. My only concern is frozen water tanks coming back through France in January.
Maybe our first trip will be France in September then the big one early next year hence the interest in this thread.
The title of that Aires book is misleading because it doesn't have anywhere near all the Aires in it. Instead I suggest you look at the Campercontact website. And also install the paid version of the Campercontact app on your smartphone.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The title of that Aires book is misleading because it doesn't have anywhere near all the Aires in it. Instead I suggest you look at the Campercontact website. And also install the paid version of the Campercontact app on your smartphone.

it does have all the Aires they and their 'team' have visited lol

I actually use the book as a good reference point, but usually default to using the Park4night app

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
it does have all the Aires they and their 'team' have visited lol
Aaaaahhh but if that was the test then I too could write an all the Aires book. In fact it has less than half the Aires. Still better than my version though, I grant you that.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Aaaaahhh but if that was the test then I too could write an all the Aires book. In fact it has less than half the Aires. Still better than my version though, I grant you that.
Actually i bet your version would be better, as would mine, because we would iron out the wrinkles on our versions, albeit on mine it would only amount to about 15 aires in total lol

Last edited:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I thought there was one organised at Twin Lakes France every year?, or is that not the case this year, it was always fully subscribed I believe, and very popular for the fishermen.
There is of course the owners clubs, many organise foreign rallies in and around Europe. Carthago Owners Club do a couple each year, but can be pricey venues, like Lake Bled in Slovenia last year for 10 days, too far out for us newbies for first foreign rally.
The CCC did one last year in Spain, good especially for anyone going solo.
There was an informal roll up meet, roll out when you like, in The Mosel recently, would have loved to have gone but wrong time for us as tied up with hospital appointments.
Good luck, hope there will be an opportunity for a MH FUN foreign rally this year, defo next.
Their GReaaaaaaaaT! and dont need any sugar coating to entice me (y):D
Les
Nothing at Twin lakes this year, but i think they are thinking of doing it again 2020 i have been to most of them, Gary as now left twin lakes, and the thing is now run by his nephew Robert, nice lad and easy going.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I agree with Clive Wombles, the Dordogne is a wonderful part of France. We spent a week here,
On the riverbank and underneath a castle, there is so much to do in this area, cycling
/walking along the river, or visiting some of the delightful towns like Rocamadour.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
A lot of aires are now being turned into campingcarpark, need pre paid cards for entry, yes you have to pay now on many that were free. Apparently the French won’t use them now there not free.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I agree with Clive Wombles, the Dordogne is a wonderful part of France. We spent a week here,
On the riverbank and underneath a castle, there is so much to do in this area, cycling
/walking along the river, or visiting some of the delightful towns like Rocamadour.
Sounds like a good one- we are looking for somewhere for our september trip
Mike & Ann

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back