Apr 19, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6
Exp
A few years.
Hi all
First question on here and complete newbie to motorhoming so be gentle with me :giggle:
I am picking up my new Bailey Autograph 79-6 in a couple of weeks but I’m slightly worried about the ride height on it as it uses an ultra low profile Alko Tech chassis and I’ve heard that it can be prone to grounding at the rear as it has a long overhang at the back.
My question is, if I had semi automatic air suspension with an on board compressor installed on the rear suspension, would it raise the ride height at all and if so roughly by how much? Could anyone with experience of air suspension and/or the Bailey Autograph 79-6 comment on this for me.
Many thanks
Howard

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Mine's a low profile and has a chuffing great steel box section bumper on the back, not ground it out yet and have been in plenty of strange Cornish and devon locations with it.
You're going to struggle fitting air suspension to the rear of an Alko if it has the wee little torsion bar arms instead of good old springs on an axle.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Do they make air suspension for ALKO Chassis. Why do they use ultra low chassis on MHs there is no point unless it’s to get the centre of gravity lower or to save a few ££ on fitting an outside step. Noticed one on CL site and it did look very low.

Yes they do Dunlop make one .. £2900 ish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Do they make air suspension for ALKO Chassis. Why do they use ultra low chassis on MHs there is no point unless it’s to get the centre of gravity lower or to save a few ££ on fitting an outside step. Noticed one on CL site and it did look very low.

Yes they do Dunlop make one .. £2900 ish
You can plate them higher weight is the main advantage I think

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I have the 79-6 and thus far (after 2 years) not (yet) grounded the rear end I have travelled around many lanes and hills in Scotland, Wales and down in Cornwall.

Haven't taken it onto any ferries yet but have heard of many others who have without issue.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They do make air assist rear suspension for the Alko suspension but it is very very expensive.

The reason I suspect it is expensive is that not many people need it so it is not bought too often.

Use it for a bit and see if you really need it (y) :D

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have an older AlKo chassis and some suppliers will tell you they can't fit air bags but you can - raw cost of parts £1500. They are technically an air assist rather than replacing bump stop etc.....

Not grounded yet apart from trying a scissor tow ball bike carrier and it allowed the bikes to sit too low. Replaced with proper Thule towball carrier and all fine.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have had 2 motorhomes with AlKo chassis, both fitted with rear assist air, with on board compressors, fitted by AS Air suspension in Warrington ... lovely people to deal with and great product.

The fitted price is usually around £1200.

The system can raise the rear end a little, but you would need to speak to Phil to explain that this is what you require

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mongoose

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6
Exp
A few years.
Thanks for all your replies, it’s been really useful. It’s good to hear from a fellow 79-6 owner Gerby and hear that you haven’t had an issue. I think you’re right MikeD, I’ll use it for a bit and see how it goes but really useful to know there could be a solution if I need it.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all your replies, it’s been really useful. It’s good to hear from a fellow 79-6 owner Gerby and hear that you haven’t had an issue. I think you’re right MikeD, I’ll use it for a bit and see how it goes but really useful to know there could be a solution if I need it.

When I bought my first motorhome I spent a small fortune on extra's. Most of which I never used much and I lost the small fortune when I sold the van.

Enjoy the van for a bit and have fun. You will soon work out what you really need. (y) :D

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Air suspension on an ALKO chassis is £2000 and will raise the back end by about 50mm

AS air suspension in Warrington
Rhino installs in Preston

These are just a couple of dealers that fit the system.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I'd love to know what they attach it to on a low profile Alko.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I have VB Comfort Air on my 75-2 and it was the best part of £2k. They replace the shock absorbers as part of the kit. You will not see much of an increase in ride height because I am told the shock absorbers restrict the ride height. The 79-6 has the 4250kg chassis so I suspect it will maintain it's ride height. The new version just released by Bailey is even longer 81-6.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mongoose

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6
Exp
A few years.
When I bought my first motorhome I spent a small fortune on extra's. Most of which I never used much and I lost the small fortune when I sold the van.

Enjoy the van for a bit and have fun. You will soon work out what you really need. (y) :D

Must confess I’ve added a fair few bits too. Second solar panel, second leisure battery, Gaslow system, rear parking sensors, alarm, tracker, bike rack :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have VB Comfort Air on my 75-2 and it was the best part of £2k. They replace the shock absorbers as part of the kit. You will not see much of an increase in ride height because I am told the shock absorbers restrict the ride height. The 79-6 has the 4250kg chassis so I suspect it will maintain it's ride height. The new version just released by Bailey is even longer 81-6.

Just been looking at the reviews of the 81-6 and it’s not a huge difference from the 79-6 but does ride a bit higher. More evolution than revolution I think.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Just been looking at the reviews of the 81-6 and it’s not a huge difference from the 79-6 but does ride a bit higher. More evolution than revolution I think.
Does it ride higher or have they just shortened the plastic skirt so you see more of the chassis?

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I'd love to know what they attach it to on a low profile Alko.
15679259121912009434574097276669.jpg

AS suspension on Bailey 740 Alko chassis

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mongoose

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6
Exp
A few years.
Does it ride higher or have they just shortened the plastic skirt so you see more of the chassis?

Good question, I’m not sure. Maybe if I do ground mine I’ll have a shorter plastic skirt too :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back