Rain Gutter Over Sliding Door On Van Conversions (2 Viewers)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having had a bit of rain lately ? (& not having or wanting a wind out awning) can see that a rain gutter over the sliding door would be good to help prevent water coming over the roof pouring in when opening the door & wondered what options Funsters have fitted? We found the Regsy http://wohnmobil-caravan-zubehoer-s...egenrinne-Wohnmobil-Kastenwagen-Regsy::2.html from the company who also manufacture Stopsy (which is excellent https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-door-with-discount-code.186618/#post-3450764) but they can't ship it to the UK :(

1565892095205.png

Also found the Dometic Raintec 100 https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...,-a-,-caravans/dometic-raintec-rt-100-_-18752 which is a light as well but an expensive option so wondered how well it works.
1565892696217.png

Hopefully some of you have tried this, found other option or made your own?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I dont think either will make much diffence we added a fiamma drip strip above our door and it did very little possibly nothing to help.If you look at the design of the roof there is very little run off area above the door sides of the roof are raised and water tends to run back to front.The main problem we found was the door is so big and despite appearing square the fiat does taper so even vertical rain hits the van floor .We moved the awning forwards to cover the door as our awning was short im sure a GC comes with a full length awning

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've got the raintec led light strip on my van, seriously bright at night!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
It came fitted I'm afraid, so I can't compare without.

But I don't get drowned when I open the door, if that's the problem you're hoping to solve?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It came fitted I'm afraid, so I can't compare without.

But I don't get drowned when I open the door, if that's the problem you're hoping to solve?
It's not so much us getting soaked as the water coming in onto the edge of the floor & back of the kitchen units - not been a problem up until now but had some torrential downpours at Lymington - British summers!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's not so much us getting soaked as the water coming in onto the edge of the floor & back of the kitchen units - not been a problem up until now but had some torrential downpours at Lymington - British summers!
Didn't we just. This is not helpful, but we have the awning light thingy, and it works fine as a drip guard. I didn't even think about it. It just works. You could probably find something cheap on ebay, and just stick it on with Silkaflex. It's just the wiring to worry about. But TBH, we hardly ever use it as an awning light, it attracts the mossies. But now I realise what it's really good for! So stick the light on, and don't wire it up!

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I've got the raintec led light strip on my van, seriously bright at night!

I think I also have this, it was an option that came with the van from SMC so I'm not sure of the brand (as I haven't looked) and have no awning, I've never noticed being dripped on so I suspect it helps! It's also a nice useful light...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have got a drip stop but it only helps with run off from the roof. It doesn’t stop everything in the doorway getting wet if it’s raining. I don’t know how much worse it is without though.
The only solution is to minimise opening the door.
If I need to have the door open in the rain, such as when loading ready for a trip, I put down old towels in the doorway.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
A length of pipe lagging stuffed between the casing and van when you are parked up.
It works wonders, I had a gutter strip but they aren’t very successful in my opinion.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A length of pipe lagging stuffed between the casing and van when you are parked up.
It works wonders, I had a gutter strip but they aren’t very successful in my opinion.
Is that the casing of a wind out awning, that the OP mentions not having ?

I’m interested as I occasionally get rain being blown across the roof and under my awning casing. Fiamma do a bridging strip, but I can’t see it being as cheap as your solution, if it works.

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Plastic external cable conduit (the type with the snap on lid) without the lid works excellently. Especially if your van is white too. Remember cut to a length wider than the door opening so the pour off doesn't come in the van door too.

Stuck a length on my previous van and it is still going strong after 6 years in the sun.

Something similar to this from Screwfix along with your favourite external adhesive product along the side wall of the conduit and Bobs your uncles sister etc

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
you could try this stuck on with double sided sticky tape just to try, must be able to buy it in longer lengths from somewhere?

A128498F-4526-4EC8-81D9-04ED9D78E549.png

Must b

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I used this https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop...ouldings/magnum-slimline-awning-mould-ffd719/

stuck on with this in grey to match my van https://https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/aluminium-extrusions/aluminium-mouldings/magnum-slimline-awning-mould-ffd719/magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop/caravan-camping-accessories/repair-your-van/wurth-bond-seal/

The 4.2m length covers and can be shaped over the sliding door and passenger door and runs away well.
I did not want to put an awning on as i did not use it much in my last van.
I now use an Isabela Shadow awning on this track. So it has two functions, always a plus with a motorhome.

20190816_105719.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
My van has a length of "P" profile rubber seal extrusion stuck to the underside of the roof panel where it turns inwards above the sliding door (i.e. the top of the door frame). It extends a few inches beyond the door aperture at each end (with the flat section trimmed away outside of the door aperture) and is presumably stuck in place with Sikaflex or similar. It works (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
My van has a length of "P" profile rubber seal extrusion stuck to the underside of the roof panel where it turns inwards above the sliding door (i.e. the top of the door frame). It extends a few inches beyond the door aperture at each end (with the flat section trimmed away outside of the door aperture) and is presumably stuck in place with Sikaflex or similar. It works (y)
Do you have some photos please as still trying to find the best solution for this!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Do you have some photos please as still trying to find the best solution for this!
look at what i said earlier and riverbanannies response(post 10) the dripstop may stop a few drips but the doorway will get wet due to the shape of the van only real cure is a sealed down awning wound out a little
look at the shape of the roof there is maybe a 3 inch strip above the door that water runs of compare to the exposed size of the opening we had the same problem and adding a dripstop didnt make a significant difference

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
look at what i said earlier and riverbanannies response(post 10) the dripstop may stop a few drips but the doorway will get wet due to the shape of the van only real cure is a sealed down awning wound out a little
look at the shape of the roof there is maybe a 3 inch strip above the door that water runs of compare to the exposed size of the opening we had the same problem and adding a dripstop didnt make a significant difference
Fitting a wind out awning is an option being considered but don't think our usage would justify the cost & we do like good value for our money! :) It's more of a niggle than a problem & just hoping someone might have a clever solution or we just have to travel to sunnier climes...

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do get what Karen Wombles means. On our previous IH we had what they called a J rail fitted above the sliding door to prevent drips as there was a gap between the awning and the van.It was metal and stuck on. We weren’t sure how much good it did. On our new IH they said that they didn’t usually fit them anymore due to the gutters on the roof being diiferent so the rain ran off. We then had an awning put on and they fitted a strip between the awning and the van so no gap. In drizzly rain when it’s warm and you might want the door open we do get quite a bit of water dripping onto the floor and worktop so with the benefit of hindsight we wish we’d had the J rail afterall as IH are helpful and I reckon they would have put one on our new van.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We have a magnetic strip we put on when it’s been raining, just realised we forgot to take it off before we drove back from Cornwall!
Cost pennies and have most of the roll left. It stops the drips surprisingly well. The gap below the awning being closed in also helps and deflects the water on the roof.
4A56B847-6737-4A78-9A80-5A8CF5A920E9.jpeg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Having had a bit of rain lately ? (& not having or wanting a wind out awning) can see that a rain gutter over the sliding door would be good to help prevent water coming over the roof pouring in when opening the door & wondered what options Funsters have fitted? We found the Regsy http://wohnmobil-caravan-zubehoer-s...egenrinne-Wohnmobil-Kastenwagen-Regsy::2.html from the company who also manufacture Stopsy (which is excellent https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-door-with-discount-code.186618/#post-3450764) but they can't ship it to the UK :(

View attachment 324647

Also found the Dometic Raintec 100 https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...,-a-,-caravans/dometic-raintec-rt-100-_-18752 which is a light as well but an expensive option so wondered how well it works.
View attachment 324652
Hopefully some of you have tried this, found other option or made your own?
Looks like what Hymer fit on the HymerCar seems to work fine and produces reasonable light.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our Rapido comes with an awning light as standard, that doubles as a rain gutter.

IMG_20200620_115607 (1).jpg

Unfortunately, I managed to damage the end of ours in Spain last winter. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the replacement was £73 - I'd expected it to cost rather more. I think they are only fitted to and supplied by Rapido - the price I paid included delivery from the factory in France.

The one I damaged still worked fine, it was just the end cap I knocked off and did a temporary repair with gaffa tape whilst on our travels. I still have it and would happily give it to anybody that thinks they could make some use of it.

IMG_20191009_102531 (1).jpg
IMG_20191009_102451.jpg

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
This. Works a treat on my ducato PVC.

Attachments