RAC or Nationwide Breakdown Cover (1 Viewer)

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Looking at getting breakdown cover before we move the wheels for the first time.
Our ADAC has finished now sadly
So I know the perks of the Nationwide account, but we already have a free old account that we get the travel insurance with so loathed to give that up.
There is a £80 difference in price between the 2
Nationwide being cheaper.
We are right on the length limit For Nationwide Which might be a worry !
what I’m really concerned about are the travel limits between the 2
Nationwide 180 days a year
RAC 360 a year.
so I'm thinking it’s worth the extra money for RAC for that.
so all that being said
What’s people thoughts on how good there recover of you are ?
I know nothing about the breakdown cover that Nationwide use are they good or bad ?
I do know who they are.
Or have I answered my own question simply with the extra cover days of the RAC
thanks in advance

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure if it makes any difference to your circumstances but I believe the Nationwide cover is for a single journey not exceeding 180 days not just 180 days a year.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Who is your insurance through? Some offer discounted breakdown cover as an add-on, eg Comfort £65 \ annum throughout Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I looked a couple of weeks ago when my ADAC finished the RAC cost was £100 more than the cost of the Nationwide account.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you breakdown out in the sticks it will likely be the same local garage that comes out to you anyway

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The N'wide scheme covers far more than just breakdowns............health and personal effects insurance etc.
I have the Nationwide Flexplus insurance and I've used the breakdown cover when my van wouldn't start in Germany, as someone mentioned it was a local garage that came out. I've also used the cover when my wife fell skiing in Italy. It covered rescue from the mountain and all the hospital expenses. The travel insurance also covers your whole family not just yourself. Finally I've also used the phone insurance when my daughter's iPhone was damaged at Christmas time. All dealt with very easily. They get a big thumbs up from me 👍

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Fiat assist use the RAC to do their recovery, I was horrified by their service when we broke down in France last September , 9 days & 5 tow trucks before we were finally uplifted to a garage , that was just the start of our nightmares , total shambles

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Not sure if it makes any difference to your circumstances but I believe the Nationwide cover is for a single journey not exceeding 180 days not just 180 days a year.

Many thanks will look at this again, I possibly read it wrong

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
I have the Nationwide Flexplus insurance and I've used the breakdown cover when my van wouldn't start in Germany, as someone mentioned it was a local garage that came out. I've also used the cover when my wife fell skiing in Italy. It covered rescue from the mountain and all the hospital expenses. The travel insurance also covers your whole family not just yourself. Finally I've also used the phone insurance when my daughter's iPhone was damaged at Christmas time. All dealt with very easily. They get a big thumbs up from me 👍
Thanks for that info 👍

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Fiat assist use the RAC to do their recovery, I was horrified by their service when we broke down in France last September , 9 days & 5 tow trucks before we were finally uplifted to a garage , that was just the start of our nightmares , total shambles
Our friends also had sim problems as well hence why I’m concerned

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
May be worth noting, you can use Tesco Clubcard points to pay for RAC, makes a huge difference to price.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back