PV Logic Flexi Voltage Drop Problem..... (2 Viewers)

capitanoooo

Free Member
Apr 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW T6 SWB 2016
Exp
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there may help me with a solar panel problem that I am experiencing? The vehicle is a 2016 T6 converted by Autohaus.

I have an <Broken link removed> which is Silkaflexed to the top rear of Reimo roof (please see photos). The flex from this panel runs to the underside of the roof, along to the front of the vehicle where it then drops into the headliner, it is then extended from here down the drivers B post to under the seat terminating into a STCC10 solar charger.

I have an intermittent problem with the panel that even when the panel is in direct sunlight and is super clean, it mostly sits at about 10 volts. Obviously at this voltage it will not charge the 12v leisure battery and becomes completely pointless. On just a couple of occasions it has measured around 18 volts, which in general light of day is what I would expect from this panel, and the light comes on at the controller charger informing me that it is charging the battery - which on testing it is! But as I say, most of the time it is around 10 volts - when panel is squeaky clean and in direct sunlight!

I have removed the headliner and checked the voltage (open circuit) with a multimeter at the end of the flex leading from the panel. There are no other terminals/connections before it enters the panel's moulded junction box (mechanical and chemically fixed on the panel) and there appears to be no damage to this flex. The voltage here is still at about 10 volts. So I have ruled out a bad connection or any earthing problems prior to the panel and its junction box.

I can't see any damage to the panel cells and I'm under the conclusion that if it has occasionally given me 18 volts that the panel cells should be okay and an intermittent fault would be unlikely from a cell?

I had some other advice that suggested the problem may be within the moulded junction box on the controller which supposedly contain diodes to prevent back feed into the panel's individual cells. It was suggest that if one of these are faulty and blocking a cell then I should expect to see a significant drop in voltage. I was wondering if anyone would agree with this or has experienced any similar problems?

I have contacted the manufacturer Solar Technology International but still awaiting to hear back from their support team. There is a 5 year warranty with the panel so thinking it should be covered but who knows with these things! I'm reluctant to pull the moulded junction box apart as if I am covered by warranty, then don't wish to null and void it in the process.

Can anyone think of any other possible causes or items that I should test first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 36
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06 (1).jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 36
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-15 at 15.55.06 (3).jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 35
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have removed the headliner and checked the voltage (open circuit) with a multimeter at the end of the flex leading from the panel. There are no other terminals/connections before it enters the panel's moulded junction box (mechanical and chemically fixed on the panel) and there appears to be no damage to this flex. The voltage here is still at about 10 volts. So I have ruled out a bad connection or any earthing problems prior to the panel and its junction box.
If I read this correctly then you have a faulty panel. As if you are measuring as close to the panel as you can reasonably get and only seeing 10V then the panel simply is not producing the voltage it is supposed to.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
@capitanoooo

Hi capitan, what was the conclusion to your PV Logic flexipanel problem? My 120 watt panel is also only producing 10.2 volts and I may be organising a warranty replacement which I'm going to have to fit myself which means that I will have to remove the faulty flexi panel which is bonded directly to the van roof. Did you remove your flexipanel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there may help me with a solar panel problem that I am experiencing? The vehicle is a 2016 T6 converted by Autohaus.

I have an <Broken link removed> which is Silkaflexed to the top rear of Reimo roof (please see photos). The flex from this panel runs to the underside of the roof, along to the front of the vehicle where it then drops into the headliner, it is then extended from here down the drivers B post to under the seat terminating into a STCC10 solar charger.

I have an intermittent problem with the panel that even when the panel is in direct sunlight and is super clean, it mostly sits at about 10 volts. Obviously at this voltage it will not charge the 12v leisure battery and becomes completely pointless. On just a couple of occasions it has measured around 18 volts, which in general light of day is what I would expect from this panel, and the light comes on at the controller charger informing me that it is charging the battery - which on testing it is! But as I say, most of the time it is around 10 volts - when panel is squeaky clean and in direct sunlight!

I can't see any damage to the panel cells and I'm under the conclusion that if it has occasionally given me 18 volts that the panel cells should be okay and an intermittent fault would be unlikely from a cell?

I had some other advice that suggested the problem may be within the moulded junction box on the controller which supposedly contain diodes to prevent back feed into the panel's individual cells. It was suggest that if one of these are faulty and blocking a cell then I should expect to see a significant drop in voltage. I was wondering if anyone would agree with this or has experienced any similar problems?

I have contacted the manufacturer Solar Technology International but still awaiting to hear back from their support team. There is a 5 year warranty with the panel so thinking it should be covered but who knows with these things! I'm reluctant to pull the moulded junction box apart as if I am covered by warranty, then don't wish to null and void it in the process.

Can anyone think of any other possible causes or items that I should test first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would also be concerned at the apparent lack of any sealant where the cable goes through the roof. That will cause damp issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back