Problem with “iBooks” on iPad (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have several user manuals stored on iBooks on my iPad. On trying to access them iBooks opens on the last page read. It is not possible to access any other stored item although that particular manual is navigable.

Trying to hit “Library” on opening has no effect and tapping anywhere on the screen when the present manual is open does nothing other than turn pages.

Turning off the iPad and restarting also does not improve matters.

Any ideas as I need to access one of the manuals which I cannot teach?

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Try a Tap to the top of the page your looking at, you should be able to navigate back

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try connecting it to the internet, mine doesn’t open stuff that already loaded like it used to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Try a Tap to the top of the page your looking at, you should be able to navigate back
Yes, tried that.

Almost hammered through the screen.

That’s the way it is supposed to work.........

.......but doesn’t.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Try connecting it to the internet, mine doesn’t open stuff that already loaded like it used to.
No improvement.

Whatever I do I cannot get out of the “last read” book.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For all those who have tried to help, many thanks.

I have re-downloaded iBooks and can access other manuals. However, to continue to open the other manuals I have to connect to the internet each time, possibly like Manic suggested. (y) Unfortunately, my iPad is not capable of connection through cellular signals only WiFi, so I need access to the manuals when I have no 3G/4G connection.

Now, do any of you know how I can copy these manuals to a more user friendly reader App where I don’t need an internet connection to read them?

Signed

Hopeful, of South Wales.:unsure:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Can you re-download the manual from the internet and this time save it in Documents?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The kindle app might do it
I have the Kindle App and have downloaded one manual from the internet to it and it seems to work.(y)

Now to try the rest! :unsure: But not until we come back from our trip tomorrow.

The manual I have downloaded is for our motorhome, just in case!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Oops wrong thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A you running the latest iOS version 14?
No.

My “clockwork” iPad Air 2 won’t run above IOS 12 as part of Apples continuing quest to keep us endlessly updating our multi-hundred pound units.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For all those who have tried to help, many thanks.

I have re-downloaded iBooks and can access other manuals. However, to continue to open the other manuals I have to connect to the internet each time, possibly like Manic suggested. (y) Unfortunately, my iPad is not capable of connection through cellular signals only WiFi, so I need access to the manuals when I have no 3G/4G connection.

Now, do any of you know how I can copy these manuals to a more user friendly reader App where I don’t need an internet connection to read them?

Signed

Hopeful, of South Wales.:unsure:
It maybe that the ipad is offloading things to the icloud in order to gain storage space. I had that with my old ipad so I gave in and bought a new one with lots more storage. As IOS updated (and there has been a recent one) it took up more and more storage which didn't help.
Have a look in settings, general, ipad storage to see what you have.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Riverbankannie

18GB of 32 GB used which I would think should be enough available memory.

The download to Kindle has allowed me to access the one manual that I downloaded and still move between docs. So the fault seems to lie within iBooks.

I will persevere with Kindle and abandon iBooks if that is all it takes.

I am considering an upgrade of iPad now the latest models have been released, (maybe a Christmas present to myself), although I don’t like Apple’s business model of planned obsolescence.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Riverbankannie

18GB of 32 GB used which I would think should be enough available memory.

The download to Kindle has allowed me to access the one manual that I downloaded and still move between docs. So the fault seems to lie within iBooks.

I will persevere with Kindle and abandon iBooks if that is all it takes.

I am considering an upgrade of iPad now the latest models have been released, (maybe a Christmas present to myself), although I don’t like Apple’s business model of planned obsolescence.
Looks ok, my old one was 16gb so was struggling. Currently I have 45 gb used of 128!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
If you cannot re-download the manual from the internet but you have The PDF file saved in your iBooks library, emailing it to yourself is simple. Use the following steps to print or email or email a PDF from iBooks.
  • Open the iBooks application
  • Tap menu, which should be at the top of the screen and could also be called PDFs, Books, All Books or in a collection you created and named
  • On the pop-up men, select PDF
  • Choose the PDF that you want to email
  • In the top menu bar, tap on the Share icon; if the top menu bar does not appear immediately, tap anywhere on the screen for it to show up
  • Tap email
Once you get to this point, you will have the option to enter an email address. Type in your your email, tap send.
Then open your email and save the attachment to documents. You will now have it in your documents file as well as iBooks

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you haven’t sorted it yet, have you tried speaking to Apple? If you go onto their webpage you can arrange for them to call you (immediately) or have a virtual conversation using your keyboard. I’ve recently spoken to them following an upgrade messing up my keyboard and have done so over previous issues. They have always been very helpful and been very dedicated to sorting the problem. This isn’t part of any paid-for package, my iPad is well out of warranty. Good luck!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you cannot re-download the manual from the internet but you have The PDF file saved in your iBooks library, emailing it to yourself is simple. Use the following steps to print or email or email a PDF from iBooks.
  • Open the iBooks application
  • Tap menu, which should be at the top of the screen and could also be called PDFs, Books, All Books or in a collection you created and named
  • On the pop-up men, select PDF
  • Choose the PDF that you want to email
  • In the top menu bar, tap on the Share icon; if the top menu bar does not appear immediately, tap anywhere on the screen for it to show up
  • Tap email
Once you get to this point, you will have the option to enter an email address. Type in your your email, tap send.
Then open your email and save the attachment to documents. You will now have it in your documents file as well as iBooks
Unfortunately I couldn’t get beyond the manual that was already open. I have now abandoned iBooks and reverted to Kindle which seems fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. (y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I have now abandoned iBooks and reverted to Kindle which seems fine.
You’re leaving iBooks broken?
Did you try removing the app but keeping the data?
Maybe tricky if you need an old version of iBooks and you’re not using an also old version of iTunes to replace it,
Newer iTunes only synchronises media not apps.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You’re leaving iBooks broken?
Did you try removing the app but keeping the data?
Maybe tricky if you need an old version of iBooks and you’re not using an also old version of iTunes to replace it,
Newer iTunes only synchronises media not apps.
I’m sorry, but as a technophobe I don’t understand.

I understand the first sentence but not the rest. :unsure:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes, tried that.

Almost hammered through the screen.

That’s the way it is supposed to work.........

.......but doesn’t.
Try apple support, chat or give them a call

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back