Pre wired connection help please (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Hi,

Need some help please with pre wired solar connections in my new Chausson 627ga on a mk8 ford transit base. It has CBE equipment with aux input fused at 20A for 'panneau solaire'

In the attached pictures, one shows the two connections I found behind a panel as per the wiring diagram (Red & blue wires on their own in 2 way wago connectors - also took a pic of the relevant section.

My questions are:

Can I connect solar panels direct to these connections or is a regulator required? I suspect there is an inbuilt regulator? Manual doesn't say much other than these connections must be used as 'Any direct connection to the battery may disrupt the correct operation of the electrical installation of our cell's'.

If I can connect a panel direct, how do I know what rating of panel to fit? Our last van had 120W Solar & that was sufficient for our needs so not looking for a powerful system.

My searches have confused me as some results say use the pre-wiring & some say don't (fit regulator with dual charger).

Also, if you do fit a dual regulator & connect direct to battery, does that have warranty implications as you've ignored the manufacturers advice?

Sorry to ramble on & as an electrician more than happy with 400V but scratching my head atm! No reply from Chausson customer services as yet.

Edit:

The relay in newest picture switches the live feed to the solar on & off -I'm assuming the trigger circuit comes from the CBE suggesting inbuilt regulator?

Thanks,

Rob
20180701_153303.jpg
20180701_153315.jpg
20180701_164207.jpg

Attachments

• 20180701_173504.jpg
    20180701_173504.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
My Carthago is pre-wired for solar, but has no solar controller.

It was pre-wired for satellite too, but they had left a deliberate gap in the cable to the TV.

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Thanks for that Simon, so are you using the pre wired connection then?

Cheers

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
I am for the Satellite, but haven't bothered with Solar to be honest.

I would be confident enough to fit it myself though as the wiring is really easy to trace - yours looks like a Pigs Nest! Lol :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also the cables look far too small to me, I would start again and do it properly.

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Also the cables look far too small to me, I would start again and do it properly.

Connections are 4mm cable?

Can always start over but why do they provide pre-wiring in the first place if the
norm is to start over? Also just wanted some advice on the manufacturers instructions?

By the way, the connections were neater behind a panel but pulled them out to get a good look at them! The rolled up cable is spare Snipe 2 wiring

Cheers

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Any other comments- possibly from a Chausson owner?

I'm taking the van back to the dealer for a couple of minor snagging issues & will ask them - hopefully get an answer!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have a best of flash 10 looking at doing the same I found a red and blue wire finnishing in a terminal block but no idea if theres a regulator either! I have heard it said that if you use the pre supplied wiring the solar only works when the main panel is switched on so not when in storage so best to wire to battery seems a shame if the wire is already in not to use it!

David

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Will update once I've visited dealer - more worrying is the paragraph from the manual saying don't connect solar direct to battery!

My old Chausson had a dual regulator fitted with no problems but need to preserve the warranty on the new one.

Cheers

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Update after visit to dealer.

Question: can I use the pre-wired solar connection?
Answer: we dont as they use a common earth - take the cables straight to the batteries.

Question: does this affect warranty given its not recommended in the manual?
Answer: No, we've always done it that way!

So I suppose you would have to check with your dealer but I'm now happy to install a dual regulator!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Our Laika was supposedly "solar ready" from the factory, turns out it just meant they had added a cable box on the roof and drilled the hole through. I just ran the cables directly from the panel to the regulator, cable was specced by the panel supplier.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. i have the 620 and wired my solar system through a controller directly to the leisure batteries.. i think the inbuilt system can only cope with 120w max..which may not be an issue for you, but the other point i didnt like was the fact that the panel would have to be switched on to allow the solar to be connected... in storage i shut that down..
Rather than a dual solar controller to keep the engine battery topped you could just use a battery master...that will keep your engine battery right and simplify the solar controller... im not sure what facilities the dual controllers have to allow you to decide how to split the charge..
Andy.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Hi rob0114

What did you do in the end; run new wires or use existing loom?

I am planning on fitting some solar to my 2018 640, and have also discovered the spaghetti.

If you fitted new cable, did you have problems routing it (I can’t see how I could route news cable from that location without a lot of work.

I’d welcome any tips / guidance you have; thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Hi,

cables in a bit of flexible conduit down behind the fridge & through floor with wiring loom & then to leisure battery- went for a battery master so only one connection.

Rob

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Thanks rob0114 - I was planning on using the entry point above the galley, perhaps I should rethink and enter via the other access above the fridge - with easier routing as you have done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back