Possibly stolen dog (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We lost one of our much loved dogs a year ago to cancer. We are now ready to get another dog and have been looking at all the re homing sites and they have very few dogs at the moment, we have seen a dog on Gumtree and contacted the advertiser, She claims to have owned the dog for less than 2 months, but when I asked about paperwork, she had none. I suspect the dog may be stolen. I contacted the RSPCA and they cannot help. I even called the police they were exactly as I thought they would be, totally useless. We are not going to buy the dog but I don't know if there is anything we can do to help him.

Any advice would be welcome. thanks

John

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm not sure what is going on at the moment but in our area there are a group of people who are going around and actively targeting dog owners, putting leaflets through doors to see if a dog barks even following people with dogs the police say they can't do anything because they can't prove anything.
They are putting cable ties on houses we're dogs are, it's being going on a while now, one of the dogs local to us, a little dachshund was found in a raid on kennels in Ireland.
It's very worrying they are being openly persistent.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
We lost one of our much loved dogs a year ago to cancer. We are now ready to get another dog and have been looking at all the re homing sites and they have very few dogs at the moment, we have seen a dog on Gumtree and contacted the advertiser, She claims to have owned the dog for less than 2 months, but when I asked about paperwork, she had none. I suspect the dog may be stolen. I contacted the RSPCA and they cannot help. I even called the police they were exactly as I thought they would be, totally useless. We are not going to buy the dog but I don't know if there is anything we can do to help him.

Any advice would be welcome. thanks

John

if you suspect that it's been stolen and maybe somebodys beloved companion, maybe mention on here what the breed is and where, it might ring a bell and help with getting them reunited..
just a thought..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

This is the dog, I have no evidence that the dog is anything other than totally legal and above board. It is just the seller has no paperwork at all for the dog, not even for the microchip. I have searched the site listed by irnbru and cannot find a match.

I don't think I can do any more. Incidentally the dog was advertised for £1,000 the day before yesterday

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I'm not sure what is going on at the moment but in our area there are a group of people who are going around and actively targeting dog owners, putting leaflets through doors to see if a dog barks even following people with dogs the police say they can't do anything because they can't prove anything.
They are putting cable ties on houses we're dogs are, it's being going on a while now, one of the dogs local to us, a little dachshund was found in a raid on kennels in Ireland.
It's very worrying they are being openly persistent.
The the thought of that happening is terrifying.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
not even for the microchip.

See whether you can find a helpful vet who will attend with a scanner & check who the microchip is registered too?
Obviously you wouldn't tell them you were doing it.
Ot download app & scan using android phone or buy a scanner ,they aren't dear. 22€ here gets you one.

** for the phone app you also need an attachment**

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It's all very worrying. - a van containing 40 puppies, presumed stolen, was stopped a few days ago.

My dog Buzz is now firmly back on his lead up the park after seeing that Cocker Spaniels are fetching up to £3500!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You can have my cocker for less. Bloody pest.

He likes french stick 🙄

01D43A94-3454-438C-AA7B-7A8CD9E8BDF8.jpeg

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have spoken to the re homing centre we support, the lady told me what is happening. People buy dogs in lockdown, then either get fed up with them or go back to work, but having paid well over £1,000 for the dog they try to sell it to get some money back, by the time the re homing centre gets a dog it may have had several homes and now have a lot of problems. That is why we started looking on Gumtree I refuse to pay a puppy breeder but would buy a dog that needs a home after the first home did not work out. I would think of it as rescuing a dog from that cycle, but I need to be sure it is legitimatise.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
See whether you can find a helpful vet who will attend with a scanner & check who the microchip is registered too?
Obviously you wouldn't tell them you were doing it.
Ot download app & scan using android phone or buy a scanner ,they aren't dear. 22€ here gets you one.

** for the phone app you also need an attachment**
I did look at buying a scanner but even with the number it takes some time to trace a dog, there are at least 2 companies listing microchip numbers, also it is possible to buy devices to change the number on the chip, and if a dog was stolen, I doubt the seller would let me scan it. I am just going to walk away and hope the dog finds a good home with someone soon.

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
I've had a quick scan through Doglost and can't see any lost male Jack Russells that look a match with this one. I always scrutinize photos on these adverts, checking what the owners look like and what's in the background and I would be suspicious of this one. There's also something that looks odd with the dog's head. Can you see it seems to have some muscle wastage each side at the top of its skull?

You could try contacting your Local Authority Dog Warden but they have limited powers and time to investigate such things.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

This is the dog, I have no evidence that the dog is anything other than totally legal and above board. It is just the seller has no paperwork at all for the dog, not even for the microchip. I have searched the site listed by irnbru and cannot find a match.

I don't think I can do any more. Incidentally the dog was advertised for £1,000 the day before yesterday
How much :Eeek: :doh: £1000 for a mongrel used to be a time when you couldn't give them away, why would it be nicked , you have only got to see what it says on the chip.:unsure::unsure:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Having no paperwork is very suspicious. Not necessarily a stolen dog. It could be from a puppy farm. You could try contacting Lost and found pets Southampton. They will probably have access both to a scanner and the relevant databases.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

All you have to do is look at the background in the photos, that tells you who is selling him. P 1 K E Y

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All you have to do is look at the background in the photos, that tells you who is selling him. P 1 K E Y
Just been looking at other dogs on there, doesn't seem to be a genuine one on there, all got to move or something, lot of them look as if they could be druged like they do horses.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t think you can change the chip number it’s self, you can change the details, as in the owners details, including phone number of the chip. So if you sell dog, or move. But if you could change the chip number it’s self it would make the entire chip process pointless.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can get the owner details changed but you have to pay and have it done by the chip company , we had our terriers chip data changed when we got him but we already knew him from a pup and took him on from our neighbour due to them going to New Zealand To live.😊

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
The price of pedigree puppies has doubled during lockdown, which has obviously increased the profit from thefts/puppy farms. The re-homing shelters will be overwhelmed when the selfish go back to work and suddenly realise a young dog left at home alone for long periods gets up to mischief. Responsible breeders will have sifted out the buyers who are clueless, leaving the bad dealers to deal with them. Very sad situation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back