Popping out of overdrive? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
1995 Hymer B564
Had a little issue after driving several hours in extreme heat where my 1995 Hymer B564 popped out of overdrive. Where the heck is the transmission fluid dip stick? My manual is in German and I don’t speak a word of it?! Anyone else had a similar issue? Suggestions?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Sounds like the old 5th gear problem, I think the gear loses a tooth but it's an easy fix as the 5th gear is in a separate housing on top of the box and it's easy to change you can buy a kit for the job..
There is no dipstick gearboxes are normally filled for life, but if the gear is damaged worth changing the oil.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
1995 Hymer B564
:welco:
Sounds like the old 5th gear problem, I think the gear loses a tooth but it's an easy fix as the 5th gear is in a separate housing on top of the box and it's easy to change you can buy a kit for the job..
There is no dipstick gearboxes are normally filled for life, but if the gear is damaged worth changing the oil.

Hi Lenny,
Thanks for the info. That is really good to know. I am having issues just finding a mechanic to look at here in Canada. I’m trying to source a service manual or even an owners manual in English. No luck so far!
Do you happen to have a link or part number for the kit you mentioned? I have managed to get a few parts from the uk but it is proving to be a bit tricky!
Still love my Hymer tho!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny,
Thanks for the info. That is really good to know. I am having issues just finding a mechanic to look at here in Canada. I’m trying to source a service manual or even an owners manual in English. No luck so far!
Do you happen to have a link or part number for the kit you mentioned? I have managed to get a few parts from the uk but it is proving to be a bit tricky!
Still love my Hymer tho!
Sorry I don't really know much about the older vans, if you read through that thread I linked to you may find more info. Changing the 5th gear is a fairly easy job with a bit of care you should be able to do it yourself if you can get the parts.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
1995 Hymer B564
Sorry I don't really know much about the older vans, if you read through that thread I linked to you may find more info. Changing the 5th gear is a fairly easy job with a bit of care you should be able to do it yourself if you can get the parts.
Yes, the link was very helpful. Thanks so much. Think I’m on the right track now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back