Caggsie1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
this may sound odd, or maybe not, we have recently change from logs to coal. What’s surprised me is that the ash from the coal is pink. Can any of you knowledgeable peeps tell me why. I’ve tried tinternet search and all I get is about black lung from mining. The coal has been stored in my neighbours coal shed for 20 yrs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The mines on this tract are three in number -- the Oakdale, the Old Jeddo and the Pink Ash. The first and second coals yield a white ash, like all those mined in the Lackawanna field; but part of the veins in this field give a gray, red or pink ash, probably on account of the presence of iron. The quantity taken out there, the past three months, was 44,000 tons in round numbers, but the mine could readily yield 1,000 tons a day.
https://www.nytimes.com/1865/10/15/...at-jeddo-ebervale-harleigh-milnesville-c.html

First [-third] Report on the Coals Suited to the Steam Navy

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dPCwEgXpX8AC

Broken Link Removed - 1848 - ‎Coal
This coal yielded 1 -67 per cent, of water: dried at 212° Fah. Coal. 3*65 grs. ... Coal swells up much in burning, and leaves a red or pink ash. Wylam's Patent Fuel .

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
coal seams are often found in the same area as iron ore. this can mean a small amount of iron oxide is left in the ash colouring it pinkish brown

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The stuff we burn are nuts , but the amount of cement powder that is added is ridiculous more ash the anything else. I ran out of logs and need to get next years in now to dry.

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The stuff we burn are nuts , but the amount of cement powder that is added is ridiculous more ash the anything else. I ran out of logs and need to get next years in now to dry.
We use some ovals sold as burnrite, they also sell non smokeless ovals sold as burnwell. Have found the burnrite pretty good for ash and heat, also keep in well over night.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We don’t live in a smoke free area. This coal is a freebie, approx two+ ton, maybe more. My neighbour has had it over 20 years, stopped using it when they had a chimney fire. Just in years gone by I’d never seen pink dust, when nan had a coal fire it was white,or more recently an Aunty. We were starting to buy the ovals etc but couldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I have to say I much prefer logs. It is a multi fuel burner.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
years ago I was asked to demolish an old coal shed and was given the contents. took home a transit tipper full and even back then worth a bob or two. Anyway there I am on the road outside my parents house shovelling coal off into a wheelbarrow. One of the neighbours showed an interest and asked me where I got it.

I told her the story and how it had sat wasted 10 years or more. Silly old bugger then asked if it would still burn and hadn't it "gone off" just sat there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I told her the story and how it had sat wasted 10 years or more. Silly old bugger then asked if it would still burn and hadn't it "gone off" just sat there?
You could have explained that it only turns back into trees if it's allowed to get wet. I would have :D2.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
It is a multi fuel burner.
They are nice aren't they.
We have central heating, but decided to treat ourselves to our log burner, it's lovely on a snowing day.
We only use a small amount of coal because it helps to keep the logs going.
Robert won't let me burn nuts, for some reason the thought of that makes his eyes water...:Eeek:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We don’t live in a smoke free area. This coal is a freebie, approx two+ ton, maybe more. My neighbour has had it over 20 years, stopped using it when they had a chimney fire. Just in years gone by I’d never seen pink dust, when nan had a coal fire it was white,or more recently an Aunty. We were starting to buy the ovals etc but couldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I have to say I much prefer logs. It is a multi fuel burner.

Yes I agree and much prefer logs, so much easier, you don't have to hardly take any ashes out, once every few months with the heat log briquettes.
No black coal dust all over, much cleaner, less sweeping of chimney.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
They are nice aren't they.
Yes, love ours, but coal int half messy. Had ours for some years and only paid for the logs in first year. The cost and the need to wheelbarrow from the bottom of a very steep drive made hubby go and source elsewhere, using his car to ferry them and then chain sawing them. However he has recently changed his car so can’t use that as a secondary trailer! He also bought chimney sweep brushes from tinternet so is able to sweep the chimney too. Which with all the cr@p that’s coming from coal might have to be done more regularly than with logs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sounds like something that Katy Price would have in her scuttle....:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure if you pyromaniacs know but ... in Portugal we met a couple who used to supplement their income by collecting pine cones and then selling them as fire starters ... apparently they work a treat once dried out.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes, love ours, but coal int half messy. Had ours for some years and only paid for the logs in first year. The cost and the need to wheelbarrow from the bottom of a very steep drive made hubby go and source elsewhere, using his car to ferry them and then chain sawing them. However he has recently changed his car so can’t use that as a secondary trailer! He also bought chimney sweep brushes from tinternet so is able to sweep the chimney too. Which with all the cr@p that’s coming from coal might have to be done more regularly than with logs.
I was told the opposite by the installer of my wood burner.He said logs furred the flue up more than coal. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back