Peugeot Boxer - Deformed Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
My 2016 Boxer has a weird kink in the front bumper, just above the number plate. I've seen a few other vans with the same thing, but I'm pretty sure it's not how it's meant to look.

PXL_20221009_163453642.jpg

My van is an ex-delivery van, and I can tell it's had some repairs in the past. I suspect the bumper has been off before, and put back together slightly incorrectly.

My plan is to start dismantling and investigating - but before I begin - has anybody encountered and fixed this before? The route to the to the offending part is by taking the headlights out and removing the silver grill surround, so it would great if there is any experience to draw on before I begin pulling things apart.

Ian

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Cant quite see how bad it is Ian but try a heat gun on low setting first, gentle circles and finger pressure push( gloves obv) , this worked for me on a similar dink on the wheel surround

OP
OP
IanFl

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
It's this bump here:
PXL_20221009_163453642.jpg

It's bolted to the metal frame at exactly this point (you can see the vertical bracket through the gap), which is what makes me think it's an assembly error

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it does look as if the fixing has been located incorrectly, is there no access without a front end strip down.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Are you sure it's not a feature? See this vid, paricularly around 8:20, 9:20, 13:10. It's not as pronouced as yours, but looks like it should be there.

OP
OP
IanFl

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
Are you sure it's not a feature? See this vid, paricularly around 8:20, 9:20, 13:10. It's not as pronouced as yours, but looks like it should be there.
I saw that vid - but when I look at "official" Peugeot pictures, the bump is not there. I've also been looking around and I reckon something like 25% of vans have the same bump. All leads me to the conclusion it's a common mis-assembly error.

It's one of those things that's very much on the border of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - but it does annoy me every time I look at it. I'm hoping for somebody on here to say something like "it's a easy fix - 10 mins work tops!". Probably too optimistic :giggle:

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
I wonder if the fixing point has some vertical movement fir adjustment and uts just been tightened up too high.
If it were me if it cant be moved easily, i would leave it.

OP
OP
IanFl

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
I always like to come back and answer my own questions for the next person if I eventually get a result.

I took the front panel out this morning and had a look behind. The issue, as suggest by ontheroadagain above, was that the metal mounting bracket was slightly bent backwards and upwards - probably from a previous knock. There is zero adjustment or alignment possible - so it's all about the straightness of the bracket.

A bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet and it's now much better. There is still some distortion in the plastic where it's been sat for so long in the old shape that it won't go back - but hopefully this will improve over time. A new plastic section is around Ā£60-70, but I'm happy enough with it now so it's not worth the cost.

Top picture is before, bottom picture is after.
PXL_20221023_112101783.jpg

The complete job was very easy - only took about an hour start to finish and the only tool required was a T30 screwdriver. There were lots of screws, but all were very easily accessible.

With the front panel removed before straightening:
PXL_20221023_105203389.jpg

This is the offending bracket, after I straightened it:
PXL_20221023_110851800.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It's this bump here:
View attachment 675019
It's bolted to the metal frame at exactly this point (you can see the vertical bracket through the gap), which is what makes me think it's an assembly error
Mine is a 2016 and I can clearly see it's small bracket where your red circle is, there is no deformity on mine so I wonder if you bracket has been bent by impact. Having said that I don't think it looks odd and I doubt anyone not familiar with these vehicles wold think it a fault, they may just accept it as an intended feature. Were it mine I think I would leave well alone.

I posted after your repair it seems. So it was the bracket and all now well, good.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You could have drilled a hole and welded in a starting handle sticking out the front and made a feature of it! :LOL: :getmecoat:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Next time you can put a loop of wire through the lower grille around the bracket & pull it out using a tirfor , chain blocks or even another vehicle towbar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back