Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
.................and....
I often shop around vets for the best price for routine treatment. Being in the south east the charges are very high. I can save a lot if I tie it in with a trip up north, but then I have 3 dogs.

Wormers and flea treatment can be a quarter of the price online from what some vets charge. I understand that for the pet passport you can provide your own supply for the vet to administer.

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Pet Passport............

Hello all, I do not know where the you have to renew it each year came from and ferry checking.

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats done. in dogs 1999 cats 2007. Charges can't remember.
When they have been chipped and blood done all you have to do is have a new rabies injection. The UK is every 3 years, I live in Bulgaria now and they say every year. Here it costs me £5 for the injection. Be warned if you are one day late you have to start again (Rabies inj. blood test, 6month check before you can travel.) In 2007 when I moved, I came by Euro Tun. I had to show the paperwork (passport and vet check done within 24 hrs) at the UK terminal and that was it. I drove all the way in and out of eu members the borders I had to stop at. I held up the animal passports and they said ok without looking and waved me on. Not one border were the passports taken from me and looked at. The only contact was one where the officer made a fuss of out G, Shepherd. So don't worry.

Ivan

:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Got Rosie's passport today.
If we leave the country, we can't come back until 22nd of July.
The Rabies Jab is good for 3 years
Total Cost £181.60 (pre-chipped) :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Wormers and flea treatment can be a quarter of the price online from what some vets charge. I understand that for the pet passport you can provide your own supply for the vet to administer.

I get Drontal and Frontline from an online company called Link Removed
They sell alsorts. So much cheaper than the vets.
Check them out , they offer free delivery if you spent x amount. It varies.
I find them very efficient . You get your order within a couple of days.
They also do a prescription only service. This works out a lot cheaper too. My vet doesnt mind me taking the prescription away. Hes charged for the consultation anyway.
Theres an offer on , 4 worming tabs for the price of 3 at the moment too

Bev

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks for the link Bev :Smile:
I presume that the flea & worm treatments, required when returning to the UK, are supplied by the French Vet, or can we take our own with us ?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I cant help you with that Dellwood, sorry.
My M.I.L. comes to our house and looks after our dogs when we go abroad.
She loves it , and so do the dogs.
Only wish we could leave the kids too:winky:
Bev

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
When we take 'chatter' our greyhound with us, we take the wormer and tick/flea treatment from our own vets for the french vet to administer. We have never been refused the use of our own treatments by a french vet and have not been overcharged for the visit.

Those of you visiting the med side of france, spain, italy and even parts of portugal please make sure you get a Scalibor collar from your vet it will help protect your dog from being bitten by the 'sandfly' and possibly developing a condition known as Leishmaniasis which can eventually kill your dog if not treated.

For those that dont know about this condition here are a couple of links

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks Maggie - a collar could be added to the "List"
Dis you have to supply specific makes of wormer/flea traetment ? :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Thanks Maggie - a collar could be added to the "List"
Dis you have to supply specific makes of wormer/flea traetment ? :Smile:

no our vet moves our dog through two different types of wormer throughout the year and we just take the one that is due to be used, but both are accepted for the passport.

you mentioned hairy caterpillers in your pm, these are called procession caterpilars

Link Removed

that link shows you what the nests and caterpillers look like should you not have seen any before.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
.................and....
I often shop around vets for the best price for routine treatment. Being in the south east the charges are very high. I can save a lot if I tie it in with a trip up north, but then I have 3 dogs.

Hi wind-dancer

For normal vaccinations (not Passport), if you have got a 'Vets 4 Pets' somewhere near where you go usually, ask about the 'vaccination for life' offer they do for dogs (and cats), it works like this: on your first visit, you pay for the normal annual booster and pay an extra £70 on top. Once you've done this the annual boosters are free for the remainder of your dog's life, so long as you visit a Vets 4 Pets surgery. If you have a young dog, it can save fair bit of money.

As for the Pet Passport - you can indeed take your own worm and tick/flea treatment with you to a vet and ask them to use that when doing your 'return to the UK health check', you just have to make sure you have the right stuff though as it is not all recognised. We used to just get it from the (usually French) vet but they liked to give injections which one of our dogs really didn't like, so when we changed to tablets and I found out how expensive they are abroad, we decided to get our own and the vet, on the whole, is happy for us to just give them to our dogs ourselves, but they do usually insist on doing the tick/flea treatment there and then. We usually get a better wormer that includes heart worm just to be safe as this, I understand, is more prevalent abroad - I usually buy the wormer tablets and tick/flea treatment from the internet - much cheaper than the UK vet.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Pet passport and the EU,in out

Ok people ,two questions,firstly looking at 'Elsa's' passport (a german shepherd) its blue,inside it has a rabies sticky,a date of 17/5/07 and a signed red stamp....underneath the sticky rabies is another sticky with batch number in red and a date of 07 -2010 is it correct ?have i anything missing,left the UK with dog in 07 ,haven't had any other injections as yet,am i missing any ? if not,i can have booster jab ?when this year ?
I can't find any other dates or times to renew (like mentioned,3 years ?) i also have proof of micro chip and a 'backhome cert' so have i done everything right or not,whats next?

Ok my second question,i'm still in the EU,in Bulgaria at present ! but i would like to ventur into TURKEY (a non EU member) what if anything would i need to leave EU with dog or return from Turkey into EU,is it entirely different to entering the UK ??:Sad:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Having visited 27 countries across Europe over the last 4 years (7 back and to trips not one large trip) I have a few experiences with Pet Passports.

We have 2 flatcoats who go everywhere with us, from memory it cost c.£100 each to have them chipped, tested and passports issued (I think some of you are being well ripped off!!)

Most expensive vet in France at Limoges, (beautiful ultra modern surgery) €175 for both dogs (well somebody has to pay for those premises)!!!:Doh::cry:

Cheapest vet in France at Le Mans - Free, yes Free (we had our own wormer tablets and Flea treatment.

Best vet in Germany at Munster about €60 for both dogs but came out with bags of doggie treats and our two actually wag their tails when they go there!!:thumb:

German vet lady also told us that Frontline flea (and allegedly tick) treatment does not work on ticks - it is not strong enough.

Defra charge £30 per animal to bring them into UK and this fee is to pay for the border control infrastructure - like everyone else I don't like paying it but a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Most dog-friendly country is definitely Croatia (no they don't eat them!!:ROFLMAO:)

We have also caused international incidents in Prague (japanese tourists flocking to have their picture taken with dogs in centre)!!!::bigsmile:

Overall I think even at £200 for a pet passport it is well worth the cost in return for the companionship - must get the missus one!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 14

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
[/QUOTE]Ok my second question,i'm still in the EU,in Bulgaria at present ! but i would like to ventur into TURKEY (a non EU member) what if anything would i need to leave EU with dog or return from Turkey into EU,is it entirely different to entering the UK ??:Sad:[/QUOTE]

Suggest you visit DEFRA website, it lists requirements for entry/leaving all countries. Not sure about Turkey but not necessarily a problem, we went to Croatia before they joined EU and no requirements but to enter Morrocco you need certificate from Spanish vet to enter, no consistency.

Also EU membership means nothing, you need dogs to be flea'd and wormed to enter Sweden from Denmark (both EU countries) but nothing to get from Norway to Sweden (Norway are not in EU)!!:Doh:
:thumb::thumb:

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
Pets at home vets

WE HAVE JUST HAD OUR 6 MONTH OLD BORDER TERRIER BONNIE CHIPPED AT OUR LOCAL VET IN THE PETS AT HOME STORE NR WORTHING.
I CANNOT PRAISE THEM HIGHLY ENOUGH.
WE WE KEPT INFORMED ALL ALONG THE PROCESS BY PHONE,ALL COSTS WERE AS QUOTED.
ALL IN WAS £120.
FANTASTIC SERVICE.
HAVING COME FROM LONDON WHERE IT WAS £100 JUST TO VIEW AN ANIMAL ITS A WELCOME RELIEF THAT THERE IS STILL GOOD REASONABLE VETINARY CARE AND ADVICE AVAILABLE.
NORMANDY IN THE SPRING!!:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Ok people ,two questions,firstly looking at 'Elsa's' passport (a german shepherd) its blue,inside it has a rabies sticky,a date of 17/5/07 and a signed red stamp....underneath the sticky rabies is another sticky with batch number in red and a date of 07 -2010 is it correct ?have i anything missing,left the UK with dog in 07 ,haven't had any other injections as yet,am i missing any ? if not,i can have booster jab ?when this year ?
I can't find any other dates or times to renew (like mentioned,3 years ?) i also have proof of micro chip and a 'backhome cert' so have i done everything right or not,whats next?

Ok my second question,i'm still in the EU,in Bulgaria at present ! but i would like to ventur into TURKEY (a non EU member) what if anything would i need to leave EU with dog or return from Turkey into EU,is it entirely different to entering the UK ??:Sad:

My dog has her rabies jab every three years, Looking at the info you give your dog has to have its next rabies jab no later than 17/5/10, the rabies jab can be given earlier than that date but not after. My vet told me when we first had our dog done, if we were to be late having the rabies jab it would mean starting the whole process again.

As others have said with regard to the second question, i would visit

Link Removed

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I have just returned from our vets where I paid £40 for our Bryn's bi-annual rabies booster. I enquired about getting our son's dog, who we seem to be minding more and more, prepared for perhaps 2011.

She has been chipped already, so the vet very kindly prepared an estimate for us. Just a pound or two short of £250!

So I came and hit this forum and followed the advice of one poster who suggested Vets 4 Pets. We have a local one to us. Their quote? £185. Not cheap, but £65 is better in our pocket.

Another local, independent, vet, situated in a poorer area, has quoted around £155 - but admitted the price guide may not be up to date.

It certainly is worth ringing around.

Steve

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Im due to go back to the uk soon and my doggies passport was granted almost a year ago, but the vet said a booster is needed every 2 years and she thought that it was every year in spain, i dont want to get to the vets prior to boarding the ferry to find I have to wait weeks or months for results ????
where can I find diffinitive proof, looked on the defra site and cant see anything ??

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi we are currently in the south of france with our two dogs we are away for six weeks.
we decided to get their passports last year and did it all
through pets 4 vets.
costs were £225 each
then worming and ticks prior to departure £70 for the two
two dogs on tunnel £30 each
ive booked the vet for return not sure how much say £70.

so roughly £325 per dog :Eeek:

worth it though ::bigsmile:

mark.

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
just been to see a vet here in spain who said that dogs must have a booster @ 29 euro every year and there is no blood test or waiting ?
so it seems irrelevant on how long the original vaccination lasts for, some 2 some years.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think in spain as a local you do the rabies every year. ours left uk before the passport scheme started .she was all ready .we got special permission from defra at the time from tony blair to leave before the scheme started. at first we had to vaccinate every year ,then it changed to 2 yrs and then 3 yrs .ours is due next month . its the same jab as far as i know. you need a blood test to prove the jab as taken . with the right vet you should beable to get it down to 120 quid here in uk . we did once get a jab in spain in mojacar cost there about 15 quid at the time.
cheers alan.

greyman

Free Member
Jun 10, 2010
Funster No
the official line (ie phone call to defra) is that if your pet spends more than 3 months out of the uk then some countries insist on a yearly booster jab . if just used for holidays then the passport is valid for length of time given by the vacines manufacturer .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant disagree with that .i have defra,s info here . but it wont stop your dog getting back in uk if it asnt had the yearly jab. if you have the passport and the blood test certificate and its in date your in. you did right to ring them .i was going to give the number 08702411710 or www.defra.gov.uk and click on pet travel scheme.they will send you a very detailed pack all about it. cheers alan.

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Another Funster asked me about the scheme and I thought I'd add to this thread in case it may be of some help. :Smile:

I took Cav to see the vet on Wednesday @ 10.30. Five minutes and 44 euros later we left with Cav all treated and his passport signed.

We left bound for Calais on Thursday morning and arrived around 5 hours before our booked crossing. When we've previously got to Calais so early it's been a doddle getting onto an earlier train and we wondered if it would be as easy with Cav.

Eurotunnel have a Pet Office before the check in booths that we had to visit. The Eurotunnel representative checked Cav's passport and microchip and issued me with a signed form and sticker to place on the windcreen. We proceeded to the check in booths and managed to book onto the next train @18.20 (although for the first year ever we were charged an extra £3).

The whole pet passport process is straightforward. We tried it but it's not for us. Cav didn't settle particularly well and next year will go to kennels that have been recommended to us.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Our experience was almost identical. We were put on a shuttle 1 hour in advance of the ticket time - no £3 though.
Rosie enjoyed the tunnel so much that she fell asleep on both crossings ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back