Pet Insurance. Cancer (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Last year Tui, our Jack Russell X was diagnosed with a cruciate ligament problem. At the time we did not have insurance so ended up with a bill for about £5,500. After this I took out a policy with John Lewis (RSA) this cost £460 for the year for both of our dogs, and I never expected to claim on it. However this year poor Tui has developed cancer, Limfoma stage 5. So far the insurance has paid out about £6,000, the policy is due for renewal and I was dreading the price rise. Because Tui has lifetime cover, the pay out will continue for as long as she needs it. So I was very pleased when the renewal letter arrived yesterday and the premium has only gone up by £240. I will have to pay another excess of £100 for the next year.

This is a very stressful time for us, Tui has to have chemotherapy every week and this week she was very sick and needed an emergency visit to the vet. But at least we don't have to worry about the cost. The prognosis is not good, but we hope to keep her for at least another year, and possibly a bit longer if it goes very well.

So far I'm impressed with the pet insurance and would advise everyone with a pet to have it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm very sorry to hear of Tui's plight and hope she has a comfortable remainder of her life - how old is she?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I'm very sorry to hear of Tui's plight and hope she has a comfortable remainder of her life - how old is she?
She is 8 we're hoping for a good outcome. But?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A difficult decision whether to treat to hopefully cure or just give palliative care for whatever 'comfortable' life she has left ... only you know which is best for your pooch.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Apart from 1 bad reaction to the chemo, you would not notice anything wrong. She wants to play all day same as always. We're giving her cannabis oil as well, it's supposed to help with the chemo. So far so good.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi guys
I hope it goes brilliantly

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We're giving her cannabis oil as well, it's supposed to help with the chemo. So far so good.
Hi.
One of our daughters dogs was having Cannabis oil,it does help,best of luck.
Tea Bag

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Bless her.
Hope the treatment is successful for her and pain free

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thank you, everyone for the good wishes. So far so good. Tui has to miss the chemo on Friday as her blood count was low. Back tomorrow for another blood test.and hopefully more chemo.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Tui is now at the end of the 6 months of Chemo, and until today every visit has been positive, we were expecting to be told no problems and to bring her back in 4 weeks for her last check. It was all going so well! but, the vet found her lymph nodes slightly enlarged and we now have to take her back in 2 weeks for the tests. If there's a problem the chemo will start again with different drugs.

It is not bad news yet, but we're just so upset because we were expecting good news. The vet said it may be due to an infection, and not anything to worry about. I just know we are in for a stressful few weeks until the test results come back.

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry to hear that John hope tui feels better soon