PCR test question for France (Rosslare to Cherbourg ferry crossing) (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Folks

We're due to travel from Rosslare, Ireland to Cherbourg, France next month and are trying to figure out the PCR test requirements considering.

On this French gov website, it says "All travelers, vaccinated or not, must initially present a negative test (PCR or antigen test) of less than 24 hours."

Does anyone know if that means 24 hours from when you take the PCR test or when you receive the results?

I'm just trying to figure out when we need to take the PCR test considering that our ferry from Ireland to France is 17 hours long, I need to time it right. I presume that I'll need to take it fairly close to the ferry check-in time (depending on when we receive the results, of course).

Does anyone know if they check for the PCR test before you board the ferry as if we have a negative test by then, it will be over 24 hours by the time we get to France?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nigel

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Hi Folks

We're due to travel from Rosslare, Ireland to Cherbourg, France next month and are trying to figure out the PCR test requirements considering.

On this French gov website, it says "All travelers, vaccinated or not, must initially present a negative test (PCR or antigen test) of less than 24 hours."

Does anyone know if that means 24 hours from when you take the PCR test or when you receive the results?

I'm just trying to figure out when we need to take the PCR test considering that our ferry from Ireland to France is 17 hours long, I need to time it right. I presume that I'll need to take it fairly close to the ferry check-in time (depending on when we receive the results, of course).

Does anyone know if they check for the PCR test before you board the ferry as if we have a negative test by then, it will be over 24 hours by the time we get to France?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nigel
I'm guessing your best bet is to order a LF test that you submit via a photo online. Your certificate is generated online and it would be that time that would count. Why not get some NHS tests, take one to make sure you are negative before boarding, then take the official test a few hours before reaching France. Submit your photo, the result gets put up fairly quickly I believe. All ready for when you disembark. What could possibly go wrong? 🙂. I sympathise with your predicament.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Just Test Me seem the cheapest and get. V good reviews. You register and pay them they send you a LFT which you take at the appropriate time - photo and email pic to them- they send you email confirmation of test by return email. Check Wi-Fi on ferry ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
I thought you had to get tested prior to departure !

and Do lateral flow tests for entry to France ,need to be 'supervised tests." ?

Leo

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Pretty sure the clock starts from when you take the test, not when you receive the result.

Aug 19, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 685
Exp
since 2020
Test for all is ÂŁ19 for the photo option [ came back in 30 min but can take up to 4 hrs] or you can pay ÂŁ29 for the video call for a Fit to Fly LFT and the day 2 test - if it is still needed is ÂŁ17 https://www.testingforall.org/ I use them for traveling for work.

The one thing to watch out for is it 24 hours before departure? or 24 hrs bofore arrivals? Check the ferry website they will have it on there. Stena from Harwich to Hook of Holland it 24 hrs for a LFT fit to fly test before depatrure or a PCR fit to fly test 48 Hrs before departue. Some people have been caught out on this in the past.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Just Test Me seem the cheapest and get. V good reviews. You register and pay them they send you a LFT which you take at the appropriate time - photo and email pic to them- they send you email confirmation of test by return email. Check Wi-Fi on ferry ?
Email confirmation is for Day 2 tests on return. No good for France. To travel you get confirmation with a QR code on the testing company website

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
On self administered will apply the time you send the data to them. If they log it.
I only referred to the ones you go in for testing.
Sure. That's why the OP is best doing self administered.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Email confirmation is for Day 2 tests on return. No good for France. To travel you get confirmation with a QR code on the testing company website
There are different tests you purchase from simplytestme (or others) but they are the same lateral flow test the difference is whether you get a certificate (Fit to Fly test) or an email with confirmation of the result (Day 2 test) and the results are logged with the NHS Track and Trace.

To travel to France you need the fit to fly version.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I think the OP will need to confirm what is required with the Ferry company. It is a different scenario to us on the mainland.

The OP is travelling from Rosslare, Eire to France, which because it is in the EU dosent require a LFT test for Republicans to enter France.

If travelling from the UK to France we do require a test. Which can be a paid for self administered test, confirmed by photo by a lab, who confirm and email the result.
All this can change in days, so looking too far forward will be a waste of time.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
DFF692FA-8CAD-4ECF-98F5-345C53C073CD.png
AAF62519-FAFB-40A5-B4FC-A5CD5370F571.png It’s not difficult to find the answer.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
D60BF9DD-5D48-4FFF-9977-A39FCE9181B4.png

Missed the vital last line. PCR within 24 hours of departure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back