Paying for Electric and water (1 Viewer)

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
in my new All the Aires bookes i read that you pay for 1 hr of lecy to charge battery.how much will it charge your battery in 1 hr ? Thanks guys trying to get as much in my head as poss for next wk.Scotty

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As I said in reply to your earlier post about aires, the electricity facility is really little more than a top-up unless you are prepared to keep feeding the meter. Also bear in mind that you may not be popular with the locals if you hog the EHU point. Having said that, it is not uncommon to find several vans hooked up to the same point using branch connectors. The French Camping Caristes tend not to use EHU in the same way as many Brits do on a camp site. They do not depend on it for general power (sockets, heating etc.) but simply use it to give the leisure batteries a boost.

Regardsing what you might get in one hour, it will depend on the size and type of batteries you have and the power of your charger. Most motorhomes have chargers with an output in the range 15-20 amps so in an hour, you could in theory put that into a battery. In practice it does not work quite as simply as that and you will get a bit less. Also, if you have gel batteries, they charge much more slowly than a wet lead-acid type. I think AGM batteries charge at about the same rate as a wet battery.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
JeanLuc many thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As I said in reply to your earlier post about aires, the electricity facility is really little more than a top-up unless you are prepared to keep feeding the meter. Also bear in mind that you may not be popular with the locals if you hog the EHU point. Having said that, it is not uncommon to find several vans hooked up to the same point using branch connectors. The French Camping Caristes tend not to use EHU in the same way as many Brits do on a camp site. They do not depend on it for general power (sockets, heating etc.) but simply use it to give the leisure batteries a boost.

Regardsing what you might get in one hour, it will depend on the size and type of batteries you have and the power of your charger. Most motorhomes have chargers with an output in the range 15-20 amps so in an hour, you could in theory put that into a battery. In practice it does not work quite as simply as that and you will get a bit less. Also, if you have gel batteries, they charge much more slowly than a wet lead-acid type. I think AGM batteries charge at about the same rate as a wet battery.
In terms of voltage AGM's are in a similar range, but you do need to consult the battery manufacturer’s manual as they are much more susceptible to over voltage. However the big advantage is that they can take 2 or 3 times the battery’s total amps in bulk charge. So if you have a 200 amp battery then you could charge at circa 14.4 volts (temp dependent) at 400 to 600 amps, again check with the manual. Of course there are not chargers of this size in common use. I had 2 100amp chargers in parallel on my boat feeding a huge Lifeline AGM bank and regularly saw nearly 200 amps when on bulk charge, so if you install AGM's consider your charger options too to get the most of the bank's ability.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Scott1,
Don't know how long you are planning to go for, or how long stopping in one place, we tend to move on each day , touring doing a reasonable amount of miles each day and have never needed to charge the battery any extra.

Also bear in mind about reverse polarity, we once stopped on a municipal c/site electricity in the price , connected up and it caused the fuse to blow in the control panel (bugger) , since then we have bought a reverse polarity checker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Caravan-campervan-motorhome-240v-universal-mains-site-polarity-testing-kit-1.jpg
    Caravan-campervan-motorhome-240v-universal-mains-site-polarity-testing-kit-1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 14

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back