Pay as you drive Car insurance. (1 Viewer)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Car insurance time again on runabout another + 1 Yr ncd &
The usual higher renewal quote excuses from current insurer.

Half a day going through the comparison sites and I came across
By Miles insurance.

A flat fee up front for fully comp parked up and 3.2p per mile only if being used paid on a monthly basis.

Based on 5000mls a year (ample for this car)
A lot cheaper than "fixed" quotes given

A tracker to plug in (obd port) to keep track of journeys etc and you know where the vehicle is.

First time I've come across this.

Sounds good but the question is to the insurance walla's on here
What am I missing?

Pitfalls If any?

Also recommend others and get £50 towards milage allowance for both parties.
A win win?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hmm, just checked mine for 7000 miles and it was over double my existing policy cost! It was more to have it sitting on the drive than the total cost of this years insurance. We don't drive a Porche, 10 year old Avensis estate!

Not a bad idea and might work for some people, but not us.

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hmm, just checked mine for 7000 miles and it was over double my existing policy cost! It was more to have it sitting on the drive than the total cost of this years insurance. We don't drive a Porche, 10 year old Avensis estate!

Not a bad idea and might work for some people, but not us.

Yep on 7000 mls £224 +£163 up front or there abouts

I have another for long distant journies:rofl: on a joint policy

This was for the Skud octavia boat banger with low but uncertain mile usage, quoted north of £400 for renewal

So a guesstimate of 5000 @ £323 per Yr

A £163 flat fee + 3.2 per mile if I use it so pay as you drive on a monthly basis without being tied to a finance agreement, as I see it.

So good so far. I can't see any hidden charges unless you elect for breakdown or legal cover etc
Minxy Girl usually knows these things :giggle:
TinaL

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Had a look
came out more for my normal mileage
Would have saved this year though
Have a bit of concern re how much data it would be recording
Though our current car logs the last 30 seconds or so and will hold that in the event airbag etc is deployed. Its only mentioned in one line in the user manual that it's there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Had a look
came out more for my normal mileage
Would have saved this year though
Have a bit of concern re how much data it would be recording
Though our current car logs the last 30 seconds or so and will hold that in the event airbag etc is deployed. Its only mentioned in one line in the user manual that it's there
There's a bit in the FAQs about it.

This page and the other two pages linked at the bottom of it give a bit more info.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
What it does state is that via the tracker they go by when you drive not how you drive unlike the black boxes issued to young drivers

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm not that bothered about the big brother side of things anyway
Like any insurance company you don't really know if they are any good till you have a claim

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Garfields
Agreed underwritten by AxxA (AxxA?) who I have the moho insured with via Lifesure, happen to need them back in 2018 for a total (uneconomic) loss claim on then moho sorted done and dusted within 3 weeks no hassle so not a back street joker it

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Seems like a good idea, but I've always thought that the first few miles of use are at greater risk than subsequent ones. So the rate for high mileage ought to drop off (perhaps it does - I've not bothered to look). Maybe this type of policy needs to be developed in the light of experience.

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I believe insurer's think, the more miles driven the greater the risk of an incident and an excuse to hike the price.

A lower quote for less miles.

The last Scandinavian trip was nigh on 6000 mls in the moho but no limit on that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So good so far. I can't see any hidden charges unless you elect for breakdown or legal cover etc
Minxy Girl usually knows these things :giggle:
TinaL
You called? 😄

Just had a quick quote for our car and it would cost me £160.65 just to do 1 mile, on top of this is a rate of 3.1p per mile! This year I paid £144 less cashback making it £109.

It doesn't include breakdown etc so is just a 'bare' policy, I'm not sure to be fair who it would benefit!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seems like a good idea, but I've always thought that the first few miles of use are at greater risk than subsequent ones. So the rate for high mileage ought to drop off (perhaps it does - I've not bothered to look). Maybe this type of policy needs to be developed in the light of experience.
Not that I can tell ... you get a basic charge for 'static' insurance, ie when it's parked up, for me it was £160.62, then you get a per mile rate, mine is 3.1p, the rate per miles doesn't change.

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You called? 😄

Just had a quick quote for our car and it would cost me £160 just to do 1 mile! This year I paid £144 less cashback making it £109.

It doesn't include breakdown etc so is just a 'bare' policy, I'm not sure to be fair who it would benefit!

Aye Aye Mel
I see that.
my problem was a declared incedent back in 2018, & 2 other vehicles already on the books

And being a 71 year old liability :rofl:
But £163 fully comp insured even parked up sounds good to me if you go into full T&Cs

Got breakdown cover any vehicle.
So sorted there

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Found out why it wouldn't quote me, I entered age of a 2nd driver so if it only accepts one driver it's no good to me. Also even at 2000 miles its dearer than what I'm paying now.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think it is a U shaped graph. Lower miles means less practice/experience. Very high miles means a higher chance of an accident. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle.

It is like an inverse bell curve.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'd not heard about this until my brother told me about it a few months back, he's been out of country for 20 years. His insurance quotes were astronomical so he's gone down this route, and as he says, at the moment he's doing around 30 miles a week.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Rather than miles driven, why not days in use?
There's a daily 'cap' of 150 miles so if you have a long journey do it in one day!

Capped mileage costs.​

Sometimes you need to drive further than usual. We get that. We’ll stop charging you for the day’s miles if you clock up more than 150.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back