Patchy dull bodywork

Discussion in 'Motorhome Detailing' started by mfw, Dec 5, 2017.

1. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Photo is not great but if you look above side window you can see reflection back panel is very dull no real shine on it and finish is more like resin or gel coating DSCN1159.JPG

2. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +3,329
    That's much the same as mine , the back panel and the driver side is shiny , the front and the passenger side is dull

3. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    My side has first bit shiny then goes dull then goes shiny again so i think it is dead resin / gelcoat and needs cutting back and re-polishing but as people are saying it needs to be a more friendly one for the finish.

I dont really want to try a machine it will be to messy and probably mark the windows the cutting back of dull finish is not hard even by hand it is just getting it to shine again the white does not photo very well the bit of the side you can see is shiny it just doesn't look any different to the back in photo.

Front is fibreglass slightly dull so i will try bonnet next when i get something

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,734
    Might be difficult polishing the back with all that ironmongery on there, my guess would be that it's an alloy skin with a paint finish the same as the sides so go careful with the polishing.

Martin

5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,734
    The front panels will be moulded fibreglass.

Martin

6. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Not sure if sides and back are aluminium i think they are a panel that is resin coated . The front is definately fibreglass the roof not sure think aluminium but the texture feels wrong

So bought some Farecla profile 2 and 3 so cutting and UV polishing also couple of machine polishing foams not cheap £65 all in but needed.

I want it to last a while so want to put a bit of shine depth in panels ( lustre is the word i think ) front at moment has dull shine so will try on bonnet and give opinion on final outcome maybe a couple of photos if good so it will help others with same problem.

Could pay someone to clean van but i like to do it to check van over myself can check for any possible problems ie sealant that needs replacing.

Tend to leave roof till last it is hardest wrong way i know can get round 75% of vehicle in time it takes to do roof.

7. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for all the advice regarding what to use.

Have made a start side is all done made a big difference and i am happy with finish what i did notice was although the side looked white it was yellowish probably old polish but the profile 2 cut through the old polish leaving nice white original finish and then the profile uv wax has put nice protective coat over it

Used a mop on it so the actual quantity of compound and polish is minimal it will be interesting to see how much i've used when i get it all done will do a photo same as last 1 of back of van later as that is what i have polished

8. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Ok here is photo im happy with finish compared to other photo big difference i think anyway

DSCN1162.JPG

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,604
    ... spray tan ... ???? :imoutahere:

10. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +35
    Thought spray tan would of been orangey

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,604
    I meant for your 'dull patchy bodywork' ... not the MH. :xgrin:

12. tonyandcarol

tonyandcarol Funster

Ratings:
    +198
    Farecla used with a buffing machine is the best way. but dont press on to hard with the buffer,