Passport not stamped entering UK (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Had a good 6 weeks in France (weather a little cooler than I’d have liked) but now back home. When we left on Eurotunnel, in July, French customs stamped our passports. But no stamps when we left France on Thursday. So we’ve had 43 of our 90 days but are wondering what the point was of stamping the passport on the way out but not when we left. 🤭

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I’m pretty sure it will be recorded electronically when your passport was scanned.
Yes, I’m sure you’re right, but what is the purpose of stamping if it’s all recorded electronically?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes, I’m sure you’re right, but what is the purpose of stamping if it’s all recorded electronically?
So that you know your dates as well, as you do not have access to the digital record
Personally I'd have asked for a stamp from either France or UK, as it may avoid awkward questions on your return

According to my passport I've been in Singapore for the last 2 years, as they did not record my departure.
It could be an issue at some point if i need to go back.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
They probably stamped it on the way in because they wouldn't know where your exit country would be and whether they would have electronic logging facilities.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
EU electronic database records will record the arrival and departure dates. The EU Stay Calculator for Visitors is a copy of the System used by the Border Guards.

Steve

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Not directly relating to the OP:

A friend who holds a Portuguese certificate allowing unlimited Schengen stay and travelling through Spain and Portugal now had his passport stamped at Bilbao.
However, when he presented his certificate with his passport the Border guard waved him away and stamped the passport anyway.

So now, he doesn't know whether he can stay longer than 90 days or not.

I assume that his certificate will be noted when he ships back home if he has stayed over the 90 days, but can anyone guarantee that?

Deleted User
Not directly relating to the OP:

A friend who holds a Portuguese certificate allowing unlimited Schengen stay and travelling through Spain and Portugal now had his passport stamped at Bilbao.
However, when he presented his certificate with his passport the Border guard waved him away and stamped the passport anyway.

So now, he doesn't know whether he can stay longer than 90 days or not.

I assume that his certificate will be noted when he ships back home if he has stayed over the 90 days, but can anyone guarantee that?
I had exactly the same thing happen at Santander, he did not want to even look at the piece of paper, said we should have a card with photo. Tried to explain that the Portuguese had not got round to issuing them yet, stamped my passport anyway but when I showed no sign of moving or offering my wife's passport he struck out the stamp with a warning that we would not be allowed into Spain without the card.
He obviously had no idea of the correct procedures.
I am not worried about the stamp as the way the stamps are done on any random page makes them practically useless in any case.
The scan is the important thing as this will be easily recovered and assessed.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I had exactly the same thing happen at Santander, he did not want to even look at the piece of paper, said we should have a card with photo. Tried to explain that the Portuguese had not got round to issuing them yet, stamped my passport anyway but when I showed no sign of moving or offering my wife's passport he struck out the stamp with a warning that we would not be allowed into Spain without the card.
He obviously had no idea of the correct procedures.
I am not worried about the stamp as the way the stamps are done on any random page makes them practically useless in any case.
The scan is the important thing as this will be easily recovered and assessed.

Thanks for your experience.

Will you be overstaying the 90 days in the hope that all will be well.
Quite a mess...

Deleted User
Thanks for your experience.

Will you be overstaying the 90 days in the hope that all will be well.
Quite a mess...
We were on the way back to the UK and won't be staying more than 90 days in the UK.
We are entering France at St Malo on Monday so will see what happens there.
I am not worried about the stamped passports but the border officials should know the rules so will have my say but if they stamp them so be it.
Not worried about overstaying in Schengen at all........I have my piece of paper :giggle:
Try not to think about what happened after the last guy bragged about having a piece of paper!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We were on the way back to the UK and won't be staying more than 90 days in the UK.
We are entering France at St Malo on Monday so will see what happens there.
I am not worried about the stamped passports but the border officials should know the rules so will have my say but if they stamp them so be it.
Not worried about overstaying in Schengen at all........I have my piece of paper :giggle:
Try not to think about what happened after the last guy bragged about having a piece of paper!
But THAT piece of paper was issued by an Austrian Painter, and was clearly just an estimate for giving a quick once over that would enable Mr Chamberlain to put a gloss on things ... :unsure:

Steve

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had this issue walking from USA back to Canada. The USA law says that Canada is responsible for telling them that you've left the USA, and thus, not overstayed the however many days you were allowed on visa waiver. The Canadian border guards say that they have no intention of doing this and would just stick the paperwork in the bin if you gave it to them.

I finally found you can post your exit documentation to an address in St Louis or somewhere and did so. No idea if anyone read it. I've been back to USA several times since, so I haven't been barred!

I guess not many "foreigners" walk between USA and Canada.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
I had this issue walking from USA back to Canada. The USA law says that Canada is responsible for telling them that you've left the USA, and thus, not overstayed the however many days you were allowed on visa waiver. The Canadian border guards say that they have no intention of doing this and would just stick the paperwork in the bin if you gave it to them.

I finally found you can post your exit documentation to an address in St Louis or somewhere and did so. No idea if anyone read it. I've been back to USA several times since, so I haven't been barred!

Same happened to us at Niagara Falls just handed the us doc to a nice policeman at Toronto airport who said hed send it to US boarder force been back several times since without incident so presume not on the watched list.

Deleted User

Had you broken down? Or was it a hiking tour?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
So you have a stamped record as will any authorities who for any reason do not have access to the electronic system
So by not stamping on the way home, I have no record in my passport available to any authorities who do not, for any reason, have access to the electronic system. Going to have some fun explaining to such authorities that we haven’t been in France all the time from the entry date! 🤭

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So by not stamping on the way home, I have no record in my passport available to any authorities who do not, for any reason, have access to the electronic system. Going to have some fun explaining to such authorities that we haven’t been in France all the time from the entry date! 🤭
Yes, I know. Stupid isn't it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but when yo next enter again it will be obvious that you must have left at some timen to be coming in agai? Then again they will probably accuse you of using another passport:giggle:

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
but when yo next enter again it will be obvious that you must have left at some timen to be coming in agai? Then again they will probably accuse you of using another passport:giggle:
You’re assuming common sense in our Border Agents, gus-lopez! 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back