Parking (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar GTL Living
As someone new to the world of motor homes, on my first trip a few weeks back, it became apparent when parking at tourist area car parks that spaces weren't big enough. I eventually parked in a coach space.

What would the advice be when using such car parks where the spaces are not big enough for a motorhome?

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Welcome to the pain!

Most carpark rules will state that the vehicle must be parked within a parking bay, that is the vehicle not just the wheels!

In North Devon I have received tickets for falling foul of this!

One Winter day I was parking in a roadside parking area that had just been vacated by a larger car, it was the end space atthe end of the row. The van fitted in up to the rear wheels but the overhang extended over the taxi bays. As it happens there was a parking enforcement officer coming along, so I waited until he arrived. I politely ask him if my parking was legal? He replied No! But as it was Winter and that I had asked politely he would pass me by but if I was to overstay the two hour limit I would be ticketed!

The last paragraph was in Lynmouth on the seafront.

Lynmouth has a carpak with three motohome bays, long and wider but not quite coach sized. They are Pay and Display starting at 10am? ANd you buy the number of hours you want. Often in Summertime I have passed by at 7am and there are motorhomes overnighting in them (not allowed but not policed as the parking enforcement officers do not work a night shift), at 10am they buy a day ticket <£10, not a bad price for a pitch. Of course they are depriving other motorhomers of somewhere to park.

In North Devon, parking in a Coach Bay, if you are not a coach gets you a ticket!

I am not a Devonian, just a regular visitor.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As someone new to the world of motor homes, on my first trip a few weeks back, it became apparent when parking at tourist area car parks that spaces weren't big enough. I eventually parked in a coach space.

What would the advice be when using such car parks where the spaces are not big enough for a motorhome?
Yeah, definitely don't park in a coach bay without asking someone first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve resolved the issue by downsizing.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We don't take the motorhome anywhere once parked up. We either walk, get the bus or sometimes we'll take a scooter with us. It really depends the area we're parked up at.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do your research first. Most county level government websites have information on motorhome parking in their area. For attractions, Use google maps and street view so that you can see if there are likely to be spaces and room to manoeuvre - or height barriers!
Try the apps such as search for sites, these list daytime parking areas as well as overnight. A review from a recent visitor is worth a lot.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back