Parking up overnight in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Hi,
Can anybody tell me if I’m allowed to park up overnight in Scotland ?
I have heard about aires etc but am getting conflicting info about if it is allowed to park up and stay the night by a loch or somewhere quiet.
obviously this question is for when we are legally allowed out of lockdown .

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes, if theres no signs to say otherwise, and you feel that the spot you've chosen isn't going to annoy anyone. Theres loads of quiet, rural spots to be found.
The forest aires that were being trialed are currently shut just now

However, there may be a mad rush of similar people all looking for similar parking so dont be surprised if that leads to overcrowding and annoyed locals. There was a lot of bad press last year once travel restrictions were lifted. I suspect to hear about similar issues this year as well.

Best play it by ear to be honest or book yourself into some small farm campsites.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just remember that there is no such thing as ‘Wild camping’ in Scotland for Campervans/ Motorhomes, Wild Camping is only permitted for tents, however as Bridgedino says, if you find a spot that is not close to a house, gateway, not blocking a route to somewhere and you leave it cleaner than you find it, then there shouldn’t be a problem. But be aware that last year local folk were wound up by uncaring, thoughtless possibly inexperienced vanners parking all over the place and worse leaving their crap ( not just litter) but contents of Loo‘s where they parked.

best to locate somewhere suitable then look around and see if you can find the landowner and get their permission. It’s worth doing as they may have fresh produce for you to buy. Eggs and salad greens are favourite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
And remember, Passing Places on single track roads are not for stopping in as I've seen someone doing!:swear2:

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I would err on the side of caution. Unfortunately, where lots of vans have routinely parked in front of sea facing houses (many B&B businesses) signs have now gone up banning all Motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back