Parking Anxiety, Lyme Regis and beyond! (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Taking the van out for the first time this summer, found a nice little CL near Lyme Regis and feeling good about getting out on the road in the MH, but I've suddenly got a pang of anxiety about where to park the damn thing, seen that there are a few car parks that offer larger MH style spaces, but what if I can't find one spare, what do I do, where do I go, agggggghhh! I need to calm down and think rationally, there will be a space I'm sure......
Am I the only one that suffers this or is it new owners fear? Had many a campervan but they all fit in a standard space but now I panicking :eek:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Plan ahead and have a back up spot saved too. Google maps / earth used to check out access. Park4night (& day) and other apps are useful too.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Taking the van out for the first time this summer, found a nice little CL near Lyme Regis and feeling good about getting out on the road in the MH, but I've suddenly got a pang of anxiety about where to park the damn thing, seen that there are a few car parks that offer larger MH style spaces, but what if I can't find one spare, what do I do, where do I go, agggggghhh! I need to calm down and think rationally, there will be a space I'm sure......
Am I the only one that suffers this or is it new owners fear? Had many a campervan but they all fit in a standard space but now I panicking :eek:
Us too - if I had any concern would google first to check entry and spaces. Always found somewhere though eventually:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you can't get into official car parks, normal streets normally have piles of space if you're willing to walk half a mile until you've lost all the town centre parking restrictions.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If in doubt, carry on and be flexible.

We haven’t failed yet but have ended up in places we never thought we would. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's why after 30 years of motorhoming I've no desire to begin touring in the U.K. for the first time. I want to visit and stay where I've chosen to visit and stay, not in some default last resort parking bay. I've had quite enough of hunting for parking spaces just in my car.

Last edited:

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Lyme is usually ram packed in summer anyway. I went there to bob into a little shop I know in the car last year and ended up about a mile out, that was in a Audi A3, not the largest car in the world! All the car parks were full, even the biggie at the top east side and the one on the west side. Went around all the housing estates in the back and still couldn’t find anything and had to get quite far out. Finding on street parking? You’d be very lucky in summer. As for enough space for a Motorhome?🤣

also, it’s narrow in places and when it is heavy traffic / general tourists walking about, there are a couple of places where you may get literally caught with loads of cars be hind you and traffic lights either side, loads in front, traffic lights either end and a blind bend in the middle and no one will or can reverse. oh and impatient pedestrians walking on the road around you because your stationary…

I did quite a bit of work in Lyme some years back and knew the problems but last time I went, it really took the biscuit!

if you can, either get there really early as Parrot Face says, base yourself I. The villages outside side and bus in.

if you don’t mind walking, maybe try and find somewhere in Uplyme and walk into town a long the river Lim?

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
And forget getting a meal out I Lyme.
Glad Ive got the scooter but did see motorhomes parked in car park top of hill

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Lyme is usually ram packed in summer anyway. I went there to bob into a little shop I know in the car last year and ended up about a mile out, that was in a Audi A3, not the largest car in the world! All the car parks were full, even the biggie at the top east side and the one on the west side. Went around all the housing estates in the back and still couldn’t find anything and had to get quite far out. Finding on street parking? You’d be very lucky in summer. As for enough space for a Motorhome?🤣

also, it’s narrow in places and when it is heavy traffic / general tourists walking about, there are a couple of places where you may get literally caught with loads of cars be hind you and traffic lights either side, loads in front, traffic lights either end and a blind bend in the middle and no one will or can reverse. oh and impatient pedestrians walking on the road around you because your stationary…

I did quite a bit of work in Lyme some years back and knew the problems but last time I went, it really took the biscuit!

if you can, either get there really early as Parrot Face says, base yourself I. The villages outside side and bus in.

if you don’t mind walking, maybe try and find somewhere in Uplyme and walk into town a long the river Lim?
Gee's your not helping:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I did see that the park and ride is working this year, but the wife is very (covid) worried about using public transport at the mo. Coming from Cornwall I'm fully aware of nightmare traffic and parking during the summer season, being local you get to know the areas to avoid and the secret spots to park.

Might try and get the wife and kids up super early to nab a MH spot in the carpark, but that will be easier said than done:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
But she is prepared to travel in and jostle her way through hoards of holidaymakers ??? :unsure: That's the British spirit eh! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Bus>enclosed space, happy to be out in the open, I'm not as bothered but everyone judges their own level of risk, just going for the beach and fossil hunting for the kids, unless anyone can recommend somewhere else close by?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Bus>enclosed space, happy to be out in the open, I'm not as bothered but everyone judges their own level of risk, just going for the beach and fossil hunting for the kids, unless anyone can recommend somewhere else close by?

If you're not there for the shops, Charmouth might be better.

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
My sister returned from Lyme Regis at the weekend. They have a caravan and just using the car was a nightmare. Not school holidays yet but heaving. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but if you want to park anywhere, go early.

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
As kids, we always went to Charmouth and walked along the beach towards Lyme Regis. Check your tide times though as you may not get there from memory. Check on google maps / google earth, you’ll see the difference.

if I were just walking, wanting open air and fossil hunting, that’s where I’d head for. There use to be a big informal car park very near the beach and a cafe, thinks it’s a heritage centre now with info etc…probably still has nibbles and drinks.

RING LOCAL TOURIST OFFICE RE ACCESS AND RECENT ROCKFALLS!!!
that stretch is notorious for frequent rockfalls and parts of the beach / coastal footpath may be inaccessible Or more cut off at certain tides. They are really helpful and will give much info, even about areas of fossil interest.

as far as food goes in Lyme R, be prepared to wait…!

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
There is dedicated Motorhome daytime parking area in West bay 8.00am-10.00pm very near the beach. There is also Motorhome parking in nearby Bridport at the Tannery road bus station/coach park (commercial rate parking fee payable))

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Went to Charmouth today for the beach. 3 car parks you should get parked OK. The last on on left £5 for the day. As nice as Lyme is I wouldnt bother tbh.
Ive attached pic to help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716_181941_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716_181941_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 19

Bessycams

Free Member
Jul 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I always have a scan around the area we want to go to on google earth and streetview it. You can tell the car parks that you won’t be able to fit in on google earth unless you can see spaces around the perimeter that you can overhang the back of the van on a grassy bit. Tbh we’ve very rarely had a problem with our Tracker. The main one being height barriers.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
We always parked at top of hill, but we were always there very early,found it much easier getting the bus, go early…… i mean very early,one of our local coach tour operators tried to get into lyme regis and had to take his passengers to seaton as it was to busy in lyme(last week)
its my favourite place lyme and sidmouth,am off there next week, for a day trip,(on a coach lol with all the other old buffers lol)…..oooh the choice of bakers down the highstreet… pasties,scones, i cant wait

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Sorry next stop ive tried to google earth the carpark but for some reason my internet is slow

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Went to Charmouth today for the beach. 3 car parks you should get parked OK. The last on on left £5 for the day. As nice as Lyme is I wouldnt bother tbh.
Ive attached pic to help
Thanks for this, really helpful! 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back