gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
A customer of mine came to me with a question regarding replacement of an Oyster Caro Digital control unit which is faulty.
Their question was would an Oyster Vision 2 control unit work with their automatic Caro Digital antenna on their Motorhome roof. I had a look at the system and both Control unit connectors were the same and wired with the same colour coding. I know that Oyster also make Caro Vision system and the Antenna mechanism looks identical from the outside at least. As I was unsure if plugging in an Oyster Vision 2 controller would be a problem I decide to call Oyster Sat-Tech and ask for some support as the were highly recommended by some members on this forum. I call the support number and spoke to a female representative and explained my query. The support representative proceeded to tell that the Oyster Vision 2 control unit would not work because the cable was different. I explained that I checked both an Oyster Caro system cable and an Oyster Vision cable and they both appeared to be identical. She again disagreed with me and I said I would email her some photographs. She hung up!!!!
As a person that has been involved in business for many years and previously owned a business that had a customer support group I would not tolerate rudeness to customers and do appreciate that customers can at times be difficult to deal with.
Anyway my question to forum members is can an Oyster Vision control unit be used to control an Oyster Caro Digital outdoor antenna unit?
I have attached photographs of both Caro Digital and Vision cables.

Attachments

• 20170310_120203.jpg
    20170310_120203.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 20170310_115517.jpg
    20170310_115517.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I attached photographs of both cable connectors. Wiring appears to be exactly the same, unless I am going colour blind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
It is possible they use the same wiring loom, however it's how it is connected at the other end that counts. I guess the lady gave you the answer, unfortunately not the one you wanted. If you plug it in you may get smoke. :)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Anthony the support guy is a member on here, Anthony Read <Anthony@OysterSat-Tech.co.uk>
Might be worth a quick email to confirm?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I have an Oyster Vision 85cm in my workshop that I use for testing my Oyster Vision 1 Transponder Programmer, this is an upgrade I supply for the Oyster Vision 1 Control Unit which is no longer supported by Ten Haaft.
I decided to take the Oyster Caro Digital off my customers Motorhome and compare both ends of the Control Cable with the Oyster Vision Control Cable, they both look identical. I am still reluctant to plug in the Oyster Vision 2 Control Unit as the Vision 85cm/Caro Digital Dish mechanism gear ratios look different and the drive Motors are different. I am wondering is there a hidden menu setting on the Vision 2 Control Unit as the Oyster Caro Vision uses the same control unit as the Oyster Vision 85cm.
I was hoping that some of the experts on here could give me an answer!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help with your Oyster I'm afraid but we had a problem with our Crystop Autostat this morning,spoke to Road Pro at 9 o'clock who said someone would phone back...still,waiting.! posted on here before we went out at 12,answer was waiting when we got back so,ready for the rugby now (y)

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Got it Gibbo. Sorry, would of seen this thread earlier however I didn't get a notification from the site! Expect your reply shortly!!

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
John, I have replied to your PM.

Regarding the opening post I would stress that, although we have technicians such as myself and Pat working at Oyster Sat-Tech, the contact number is not strictly a technical support line. That number will put you in touch with our office where you will usually be greeted by Margaret our office manager. If the call is of a technical nature and myself and Pat are not available then she will try to assist with her limited technical knowledge but please be aware that she is not a technician. She will always try to assist with any inquiry that is presented to her but she does only have limited technical knowledge and sometimes she may get it wrong as is the case here. I can understand that it is frustrating when you are being given information that you consider to be wrong however we do not tolerate rudeness or verbal abuse at all and will always end the call if we feel that either is being used towards us.
I can only advise that, if you are of the impression that Margaret is wrong or feel that you need to speak to someone with more expertise on the technical side of the systems then please ask directly for myself or Pat or leave a message and we will call you back as soon as we are free.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
To be fair to Road Pro I phoned them this morning and got the info I needed to reset my dish,but it would have been better if I had had the info on Friday!

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I got in contact with Anthony and it turns out the same cable is used on both the Vision 85cm and the Caro Digital/Vision. The Vision 2 control unit has a menu option to select the satellite system (Vision 85cm, Caro Cosmo, or Samy).
Thanks to Anthony for his support!

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Very welcome.
It's worth noting that the cables used for Oyster systems are as follows:

Oyster/Caro Vision I/Vision II, Cosmo Vision II, Caro/Cosmo Digital and Samy Vision systems use the Vision main cable. This cable is no longer used for any systems currently in production. All current models including Oyster Vision III, Caro+, Cytrac and all Oyster Digital variations use the Digital main cable. Samy 65, Sunmover and Solar + use a specific main cable.

Any specific system questions please just ask.

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Hello Anthony, We are newbies to everything! We purchased a Autotrail Miami with an Oyster 11. Automatic dish the dish was fitted 2009. We have failed to receive a TV picture. I purchased a new Avtex DRS in the hope that this might sort my problem. The person I purchased the TV from has now told me the Oyster11 system is obsolete is this the case? If not can you help me the sat box in the cupboard has a scart plug which makes me think he might be right? Your help would be very much appreciated. Mike and Toni

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hello Anthony, We are newbies to everything! We purchased a Autotrail Miami with an Oyster 11. Automatic dish the dish was fitted 2009. We have failed to receive a TV picture. I purchased a new Avtex DRS in the hope that this might sort my problem. The person I purchased the TV from has now told me the Oyster11 system is obsolete is this the case? If not can you help me the sat box in the cupboard has a scart plug which makes me think he might be right? Your help would be very much appreciated. Mike and Toni
This is nonsense your Vision 11 should work fine

Post a photo of the sat box in the cupboard and I'll try and help you

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Thank you @eddievanbitz now you have assured me it is not obsolete I will run a test cable from the dish to the new TV which has a built in satellite receiver. I wanted to get rid of the box in the cupboard which has a 4 metre scart cable which is a bit heavy duty! I will be back soon.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have an Oyster 11 first manufactured about 2009.

From the dish the coax cable goes to an Oyster control box which, as I understand, points the dish at the satellite (as selected on the Oyster control panel).

A further coax cable from the F-plug on the Oyster control box can then be taken direct to the TV inbuilt satellite tuner.

You will need to tune the TV to Astra 2 (assuming you want BBC etc). The retuning process can take up to 15 minutes.

PS. I have no knowledge of the Avtex DRS so some of the information may be irrelevant.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon,

Sorry for the late reply. Had a repair in this morning.
If the system is a Vision II then you should have a small four button control unit used for operating the dish. The only system that is obsolete is the Vision I but that has a map of Europe on the front of the control unit so unless you have that you are good.
If the system is locking to the Satellite but just not giving a picture then it is possible that the receiver is the cause of the problem. As long as the Oyster locks to the satellite and then display's "Satellite mode" then it has found the desired Satellite and it is receiving a signal from the receiver. In that case I would assume that transponder changes have affected the receivers stored channels.
If you cannot get any sort of information from the receiver then it is possible that the cable from their to the TV is faulty or that the TV is set to the wrong source. If you can't get the menu's of the receiver up on the TV screen then that is most probably the problem although helping with that issue is difficult as I do not know the make of the Receiver or the TV or how it's all connected.
If you can clarify everything I've commented on so far and give me this information then I can get a better idea of what the problem is.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Actually Oyster Vision 1 is no longer obsolete. If your control unit is an Oyster Vision 1 please contact me if you would like to upgrade it.
John
Our Vision 1 works fine with the dual LNB modification.

Martin

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Thank you @Anthony OysterTech I am not at home at the moment I will give you an update ASAP might be tomorrow. Your help is much appreciated.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Our Vision 1 works fine with the dual LNB modification.

Martin

The duel LNB modification on a Vision I will work fine just as long as the frequencies on Astra 1 do not change anytime soon, as will John's solution to resurrect the system. However, as I have stated before, if you are going to spend money to keep a Vision I running just be aware that, no matter what you do to the system, when the DVB-S frequencies (old standard) get turned off the system will fail to automatically find a Satellite. Only manual tuning will then work.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
no matter what you do to the system, when the DVB-S frequencies (old standard) get turned off the system will fail to automatically find a Satellite. Only manual tuning will then work.

Which of course you can do for free so no need to buy third party equipment

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The duel LNB modification on a Vision I will work fine just as long as the frequencies on Astra 1 do not change anytime soon, as will John's solution to resurrect the system. However, as I have stated before, if you are going to spend money to keep a Vision I running just be aware that, no matter what you do to the system, when the DVB-S frequencies (old standard) get turned off the system will fail to automatically find a Satellite. Only manual tuning will then work.
We have had the mod on for over 4 years now so whatever happens I guess we got our money's worth but thanks for the information.

Martin

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I am currently working on a developing a DVB-S2 solution for both Vision 1 and Vision 2 control units. This update will potentially extend the life of these products way in to the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back