Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Kiwi thanks will bear that in mind

Granjan Personally I wouldn't dream of doing it in anything other than a MoHo and this is the first time for us. Its just so easy and not too much pre planing.

So the adventure continues :)

We visited Rotorua ohh dear what a disappointment especially for SWMBO. She described as a bit like Blackpool too commercial. It appeared anything to do with Maori was staged and at great expense to you. Good news was i bought some nuts and bolts to fix my suitcase that broke as we loaded the car to go to Birmingham Airport. All for the cost of 50 cents :D

Off up to Matata next with a stop off at Hells Gate, hot springs and lots of sulphur :) That cleared the breathing tubes out a bit. A bit steep for entry but done and dusted tee shirt got etc.

By the way if you go to the park in Rotorua you can see smaller springs for nowt and dip your feet in some pools there.

We are now on a free park ( to NZMCA members) a couple of km's from Middle Earth film set.
Its around 40 gbp each to get in so we had a word with a local who said you really need to be a massive fan to go and see it. SWMBO has knocked it on the head and we will be just looking around the obligatory gift shop :)

Off down to Taupo to spend a day or so then heading further South to where they filmed a lot of The Lord of The Rings, might even meet Gollum :D

The last pic is the sun setting close to Middle Earth :D

IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Made it to Taupo and now sitting on an MZMCA site.

Usual 6 nzd for the two of us. We used a dump station on the way in that is council controlled so free and with both potable and non pot taps. Why do they make it so easy for people who are traveling around this fair country.

Taupo seems a nice place so we will spend a day or so here, especially there is tons of free parking on the side of the lake and in town.

Ohh on the way down we went to Orakei Korako Geothermal Park and Cove which is another volcanic place.
Personally I would miss Hells Gate if any one is heading down this way, the cost is the same but this is less commercial and more relaxed. You can also park over night if you are self contained and intend to go over the lake to the springs.
Bargain I would say.

Looking back over the lake

Catch and eat you're prawns

Hobbit beer

IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have made our way down a little further and camping beside a Trout fishing river, you can fish for free, if only i fished.

Heading down to Northland tomorrow to Lord of the Rings filming area. Lots of free or cheap camping areas so long as you are self contained. Although others don't seem to bother too much complying with the rules.

I might even get to see Gollam lol.

Seems to be a fair few Germans and French over here, can they all be that bad at driving?
Seems like the wife has to get out to direct proceedings does give me a bit of a giggle.

A couple of pics.

IMG_2109.JPG
IMG_2146.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Someone mentioned " car hire ", our son lives in NZ, so we go, probably every other year. When there we have hired a car through "Rent -a-Dent".
Not necessarily the latest model, but in good condition and we have travelled miles, OK, klics, with no problems. Found them very friendly and helpful.
Done great chunks of both islands, great place and people, but don't forget it takes ages to get anywhere, and the police can be very keen on speeding, also there are speed cameras without warnings.
Otherwise just enjoy

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Okie dokie folks back again :)

We have obviously done a fair bit of traveling since my last post.

In that time we have traveled across country and also south whilst doing so.
We had to do a bit of back tracking as when we went to Mount Rueapi you couldn't see your hand in front of your face because of mist. It also changes every couple of minutes due to altitude and the nature of the Country.

Also been to Mount Taranaki that is one big beast to say the least.

We are at Otaki after spending a night parked up on the beach, well pebbles, looking out to the Tasmin Sea. Saw the sunrise over the mountain range.

Yesterday we saw the sun rise over the Pacific.

Making our way down to Cape Pallister hoping to see a colony of seals and stay on a site that is run by a NZMCA member so its all free :D

Picture time then (y)
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Should have said I blitzed my data allowance with face time and uploading pics hence the wait for getting back on line.
Currently using a library in Otaki you can even plug in and charge you're devices, all for nowt, fantastic (y)

Couple more pics :)

IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
So pleased you are enjoying the North Island. Wait until you come to the South Island. Although it is getting cooler the scenery is great. Great photos thanks.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So pleased you are enjoying the North Island. Wait until you come to the South Island. Although it is getting cooler the scenery is great. Great photos thanks.

What a fantastic Country, you guys just need to be selective who you allow in and all will be good.

I love the fact that if you do something stupid you will get hurt, no big fences around cliffs etc.

Will be on Blubridge on the 14th so not long till we are heading your way.

See ya soon Rich

Ohh Im not difficult to spot in the Hired M H with wings proudly displayed in the windscreen, constantly waving to fellow wing displayers. Without much response :( not to worry though I will persevere

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi all

Found another library after spending the day/night at Cape Palliser the Southern most tip of The North Island.

L O T R filming spot called The Pinnacles is an interesting place as well.
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG

Plenty of seals to be seen here in their natural habitat. Will be heading to Lower Hut to do the laundry and a bit of shopping.

When I was filling up the other day I was given a card by the disc pump attendant to get 10c a litre of plus the 4c off with the shopping. So I will be paying around 76c a litre. Ohh I do like N Z (y)

By for now

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
O M G
Has it been that long since i posted, how time flies :) when you are having fun.

We managed to catch the ferry and got to Picton.
Made our way down the East coast mainly wild camping with the odd NZMCA sites used.

Dropped into the MoHo renters to tell them the items we should of had and didn't walked out with snow chains and a sat nah, chains are just incase.

On my wife bucket list was to swim with dolphins so we duly booked to do this at Kaikoura was asked do we want to do the early morning trip other wise had to wait a couple of days.
Booked the early trip and had to be at their office at 5.30 am :(

But wow what an amazing experience only downside was we were with a load of American Teenagers who think the world revolves around them tw*ts.

As an aside I'm also beginning to dislike the Germans and French :)

Have continued keeping the coast on our left down through Invercargill and part way up the West coast. Visiting Milford Sound and now making our way to Queenstown.

Pics below (y)
IMG_0930.JPG
SAM_0571.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Is that the beach with all them big round boulders on. Great place. (y)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Made it to Franz Josef with stops along the way (y)

Been here for nearly 2 days and it has rained most of that time, when I say rain I don't mean mam-be-pambe stuff. This is full on stair rods :(
Just wondering if its ever going to stop :D

More next time Im at the Library :)

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Hi Rich,

Glad you are enjoying yourself. Some great walks around Punakaiki if you are going that way. Have you had a swim in the Franz Thermal pools?
We are Les Stables, in France with 20cm of snow. Enough to stop the motorhome going forwards.
Your photo's are fantastic.

Kia Kaha
tony

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi again

Spent the night just outside Hokitika on an NZMCA site without charge.

Presently in the library uploading and posting to the fine people of Fun :D

Didn't walk the glacier at Franz Josef, instead splurged out and took the heli ride over the two glaciers and a landing at the top. As I said to SWMBO you only live once its not a rehearsal :)

Ohh forgot to say in previous post I threw my self off the Kawarau Suspension Bridge just outside Queenstown, on a piece of elastic :D seemed like a good idea at the time.

will be making our way a bit further North over the next few days if the poxy sand flies allow us.
IMG_4289.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Keep,it up! We've jotted down all the important stuff ready for our 6 month trip starting in October! More info on where you stay would be really nice!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Play "Hokatika " in the pub, it's good way of getting to know the locals

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
If you are coming south. Kaikoura has excellent whale watching and you would most likely see some dolphins, lots of seals.
The Whale watching is very popular so you would have to book ahead. We live in Marlborough so make sure you make time to sample our fabulous wines. If you want to contact us pm

Ohhh! Marlborough wines are just wonderful. My favourite.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Cossieg

When we get back I'll pm you a load of stuff.
Give me a reminder also the wife found a good book in the library yesterday that's worth a look.

Happy to share the stuff we found out.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi all

We followed the West Coast up a little further then headed for the very top of South Island. Or at least as far as we could go.

Fair Well Spit being one of the stop offs.

Dropped back down the East Coast into Nelson on our way back to Kaikoura for a second time, there is a method to my madness, then back over to the West Coast.
This was done via Hanmer Springs, couldn't do a Bungy there as was to late arriving, my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Then it was down the West Coast for a few Km,s and onto Arthurs Pass. What some fantastic scenery would love to see it in Winter with more snow on the mountains. Leaving the very wet wether behind us on the West Coast.

Stopped off at Springfield and then to the Sheffield Pie Shop, ohh yes they are as good as people say (y)

Presently in the Library at Darfield communicating with you good folk.

A few pics
IMG_4553.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well last night was bye bye New Zealand

Done just over 10k over the 9 week period, not too shabby me thinks.
Have to say it was a bit odd flying out as it became a home from home.

Any way a few pics now.
IMG_4970.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
View from our apartment at Mandurah W A whilst visiting relations on the way home.

The novelty of a big bed you don't have to make up every night, ahhh bliss (y)
IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5194.JPG

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the photos,brought back memories of our nine week trip back in 2012,said we would do as much as we could as we would probably never go back.........shame it's such a long way.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Back home now after visiting the relleys in Aus.

I must say it all feels a good while ago since we were in New Zealand.
Any one thinking of a trip of a life time I can highly recommend New Zealand.

It was back to reality and nose to the grind stone today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back