ORKNEY ISLAND VISIT (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I have booked a site on the Orkneys for 2 weeks in July (fingers crossed things should be ok by then) and then returning slowly down south to Edinburgh to attend (hopefully) Warners Motorhome Show at Royal Highland Centre Ingliston after.
Total time away is 22 days, if anyone interested contact me and I can message you full details.
Jim , i do not know if you want to call this a rally or a meet but, look to you for guidance !!

See - www.orkney.com to view some of the sights to see and places to visit.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have booked a site on the Orkneys for 2 weeks in July (fingers crossed things should be ok by then) and then returning slowly down south to Edinburgh to attend (hopefully) Warners Motorhome Show at Royal Highland Centre Ingliston after.
Total time away is 22 days, if anyone interested contact me and I can message you full details.
Jim , i do not know if you want to call this a rally or a meet but, look to you for guidance !!

Is it the site in Kirkwall? We were there back in 2019. If so, very central to the town. Next to sports \ leisure centre.
Would suggest you consider the bus tour that takes in Scara Brae (open topped bus) if weather permits. And if you're of an age it's free with your Scottish bus pass! Bus station is 10-15 minutes walk from site.

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
If your interested in arranging something on your way up I can ask PeterandNicole if they'll be at home in July, they live in Lybster near Wick, some of us had a meet at their place in 2017.
That would be great. thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
If your interested in arranging something on your way up I can ask PeterandNicole if they'll be at home in July, they live in Lybster near Wick, some of us had a meet at their place in 2017.
WICK , I always love visiting wick in all weathers , great history .

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Worked on the Orkney's in the mid 70s. Oxydental. Never been back but would love to. Old Man of Hoy, Scappa Flow etc etc. Getting quite inebriated in Kirkwall. Great times.

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Worked on the Orkney's in the mid 70s. Occidental. Never been back but would love to. Old Man of Hoy, Scappa Flow etc etc. Getting quite inebriated in Kirkwall. Great times.
Hi , Bob worked with John Brown on Hook Up of Piper Alpha both onshore and then offshore, ended up a few times in Unst.
Left to go abroad , job in Saudia Arabia (first of a few years out there) been retired for 17 years now, retired early.love getting away in motorhome !!

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Is it the site in Kirkwall? We were there back in 2019. If so, very central to the town. Next to sports \ leisure centre.
Would suggest you consider the bus tour that takes in Scara Brae (open topped bus) if weather permits. And if you're of an age it's free with your Scottish bus pass! Bus station is 10-15 minutes walk from site.
Yes it is, been there a few times now, visited most of the places too, went to Stromness Music Festival a good few times too, we love it there.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Hi , Bob worked with John Brown on Hook Up of Piper Alpha both onshore and then offshore, ended up a few times in Unst.
Left to go abroad , job in Saudia Arabia (first of a few years out there) been retired for 17 years now, retired early.love getting away in motorhome !!
Are you following me :LOL:
I went from Orkneys to Ninian Central when it was in Kyle of Lockalsh then offshore with it for a few years, Shell B and others. Then Dubai where i stayed for 35 years. In fact in Dubai as i type.

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Are you following me :LOL:
I went from Orkneys to Ninian Central when it was in Kyle of Lockalsh then offshore with it for a few years, Shell B and others. Then Dubai where i stayed for 35 years. In fact in Dubai as i type.
Hi , Think you are following me lol ! was at Kishorn too, with John Brown, stayed on the camp first, then to the Torridon hotel, onto the "Rangatira" daily boat to the Ninian platform, offshore there for a bit and then to Kyle of Lochalsh to send out men/equipment to them offshore Skye.
Once it moved to the location there did several trips before returning to Aberdeen office a Blaikies Quay in store/buying materials to be sent offshore.
It's a small world right enough ! hope to meet up sometime !
BTW also went to the Emirates, Abu Dhabi , worked with APSL Serete,used to go to the McDermotts construction yard there regularly, also to Brown and Roots in Bahrain after I had supervised loading of rig construction materials in Abu Dhabi , was fab,like a wee holiday every 5/6 weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Hi , Think you are following me lol ! was at Kishorn too, with John Brown, stayed on the camp first, then to the Torridon hotel, onto the "Rangatira" daily boat to the Ninian platform, offshore there for a bit and then to Kyle of Lochalsh to send out men/equipment to them offshore Skye.
Once it moved to the location there did several trips before returning to Aberdeen office a Blaikies Quay in store/buying materials to be sent offshore.
Blimey. Yes Lock Kishorn. Howard Doris did the civils. We first moved onto the Ninian when they started the prep for the spider deck. We also stayed on the Rangatira (3 brothers). You will remember them floating out and doing the tilt test, us 3 brothers were on "deck" as they did it. Then sank it, floated the spider deck over it, 6000 tonns +, re floated it to lift the deck. Then anchored for stage one fitting of the modules. We then went out with it.
The Bolder was one of the heavy lift cranes, the 2nd ones name slips my mind. Lot's of other stuff to remember but need a bit of jogging.
Yes maybe one day we may meet up in a muddy field somewhere, inshallah.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
BTW also went to the Emirates, Abu Dhabi , worked with APSL Serete,used to go to the McDermotts construction yard there regularly, also to Brown and Roots in Bahrain after I had supervised loading of rig construction materials in Abu Dhabi , was fab,like a wee holiday every 5/6 weeks.
That Unst was a place. Nearest i have been in a plane crash. 6 seater from Aberdeen, pilot couldn't find the runway 🤔 as it was really foggy, kid you not as we banked left the wing tip parted the grass (i could see that far). Pood myself.

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Remember all of that, Howard Doris guys broke the word record for pouring cement ! watched the deck gong on from one of the Smit tugs, also watched most of the modules going up, the other crane barge was the Micoperi company, cannot remember its number.
When it was towed out it was the Smit Typhoon tug that was lead boat, at the time it was the most powerful tug in the world, only months old when it arrived at Kishorn.
I was gifted a T shirt from the Howard Doris scaffolders because I jumped about various place when unloading supply boats, it had a pair of Redwing boots with wings on the heels and had "Fergies Angels " printed on them .
Many a good night had in the bar on camp, Lochcarron Hotel,Strathcarron Hotel and Kyle of Lochalsh AWe the memories !!

https://images.app.goo.gl/hCVKFJ72tDbpZuJ66 Ninian Platform under tow

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Remember all of that, Howard Doris guys broke the word record for pouring cement ! watched the deck gong on from one of the Smit tugs, also watched most of the modules going up, the other crane barge was the Micoperi company, cannot remember its number.
When it was towed out it was the Smit Typhoon tug that was lead boat, at the time it was the most powerful tug in the world, only months old when it arrived at Kishorn.
I was gifted a T shirt from the Howard Doris scaffolders because I jumped about various place when unloading supply boats, it had a pair of Redwing boots with wings on the heels and had "Fergies Angels " printed on them .
Many a good night had in the bar on camp, Lochcarron Hotel,Strathcarron Hotel and Kyle of Lochalsh AWe the memories !!

https://images.app.goo.gl/hCVKFJ72tDbpZuJ66 Ninian Platform under tow
I worked for Palmers scaffolding on Ninian. We only did from the top of the concrete upwards. 685,000 tonnes of floating concrete. French design.........................ah the memories...........the beer (not on the boat or rig of course).

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I have booked a site on the Orkneys for 2 weeks in July
We're thinking of visiting Orkney and Shetland in May-June this year.
We've been to Orkney 3 times before 1996, 97, 2000 to the Skullsplitter motorcycle rallies and Shetland to the Simmer Dim rally in 1998.
Great memories of both islands. The history on Orkney is amazing. When we first visited Skara Brae in 96, there were no restrictions to the site (now a big visitor centre) we could walk in and around the dwellings.
Maes howe, an amazing Viking burial mound. Another fantastic visitor attraction. Plus so many other places including the Italian chapel.
We have friends who live in Shetland. As residents they can get a 30% discount on the ferry. They can pass this on to friends and family. So hopefully we will be using this.
The plan is to get the ferry from Scrabster to Orkney, then on to Lerwick in Shetland. Returning to Aberdeen.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Its lovely. I worked there for a year. What a privilege. Everyone so friendly. Don't expect to eat in a different restaurant every night though(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A few photos of our trip in 2017. Its a worthwhile trip if you've never been.
IMG_4151.jpeg
IMG_4141.jpeg
P1040663.jpeg
P1040664.jpeg
P1040659.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think The Orkneys will have to go on my bucket list for a nostalgic trip back.

Fixed it for you! I think that your auto correct feature seems to think Orkney should be Orkneys. 😉

Ian

PS Anyone ever taken their MH to the Channels? 😉

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Fixed it for you! I think that your auto correct feature seems to think Orkney should be Orkneys. 😉

Ian

I want to do that when people put bought instead of brought and then instead of than...............but i don't know how to.
Ta very much and i am looking forward to getting to Orkney.....................don't look right 🤔

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Ian

Just my view I think you are both correct.

Politically it is Orkney. That's correct.

Geographically it is the Orkney Islands (or Isles). This can be abbreviated to the Orkneys and that's ok.

Here 'in' the Isle of Man there is confusion when to use in and when to use on. 'In' is political 'on' is a physical state.

Also there are two islands so it should be Isles of Man

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Just noticed the thread titles in wrong though. Should be visit to Orkney IslandS or visit to Orkney

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Glad i didn't spend all that money going to silly university. One year subs on here and i am ready for Mastermind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back