Off road transportable Mobility Scooter (1 Viewer)

Dyddy

Free Member
Sep 6, 2023
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Swift
Hi everyone,
Been lucky enough recently to hire an off road scooter for country walks, yes now bitten by the bug! A Tramper & trailer isn't really viable for me so need something car boot transportable. From experience most of the scooters like this aren't really up to the task, they aren't really made for it I guess.
I've seen a Baja Bandit by American Company Pride, they very much market it as an outdoor hiking trail capable scooter. Yes it won't be up to the capability of a Tramper but looks Ok for my needs. Taken the plunge & ordered one, let me know if anyone's interested and I'll post how I get on with it.

baja-bandit-4-wheel-sage.png baja apart.jpg

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
please let us know, am interested to hear, but you may need to pay the £20 subs for here otherwise you've only got 3 more posts to go..

pride products are good, myself i have a pride jazzy 600es powerchair that i researched to enable me to get through the fields, woods, wherever i want to go, but of course it doesn't strip down to go into the boot of a car, but can go into the back of a car via a hoist..

was surprised on the ground clearance of your chosen scooter though, only 40mm which i assume is a printing error/mistake as my chair is 70mm, but maybe check?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dyddy

Dyddy

Free Member
Sep 6, 2023
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Swift
please let us know, am interested to hear, but you may need to pay the £20 subs for here otherwise you've only got 3 more posts to go..

pride products are good, myself i have a pride jazzy 600es powerchair that i researched to enable me to get through the fields, woods, wherever i want to go, but of course it doesn't strip down to go into the boot of a car..

was surprised on the ground clearance of your chose scooter though, only 40mm which i assume is a printing error/mistake as my chair is 70mm, but maybe check?

Its that low under the back axle, quite a bit more under main deck. Its not going to be up to mud plugging or rock hopping but should be ok for most public footpaths etc I'm hoping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
While looking at scooters for my mum I discovered that some companies eg TGA quote the height under the main footwell and forget to mention that the anti tip wheels and the motor itself are much lower. My tip would be to physically look at one before buying.
We were looking for a boot scooter that was as off-roady as possible ie biggest pneumatic wheels, front and rear suspension and best distance capability. We ended up getting a TGA zest plus. It breaks down into several bits, heaviest being about 18kg. In total it's 70kg. To be honest it's just about ok for me to lift into the boot/camper, but my wife wouldn't be able to load it. I'd recommend pneumatic tyres over solid for comfort, but also puncture proofing!

OP
OP
Dyddy

Dyddy

Free Member
Sep 6, 2023
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Swift
Thanks for the advice on off road transportables, I've written down my thoughts on the Baja Bandit if anyone's thinking of buying one, I've tried to cover everything, sorry if I drag on
🤣

As predicted its not a mud plugger or rock hopper, you won't be crossing sand dunes or ploughed fields - It's fine with say up to 2 inches of gravel or loose stones, just keep the the throttle pinned to push through if needed. Only time I've bottomed out was in deep stones / sand or straddling a ridge, it has a substantial skid plate protecting motor etc so all good, you just adapt your driving to this. Up 2 inch+ kerbs no probs, down even larger.

Scenario - Spent the day at National Trust woodland & heath, it coped fine on all the trails their own Tramper goes round. Ventured off the recommended trails & coped surprisingly well, as mentioned - deep sand you have to predict and keep your speed up to push through. Being slimmer it actually went where the Tramper can't, through the narrow brush & bushed pathways. Hill climbing it was excellent. Dry sunny day, dry dusty terrain. Definitely without doubt goes where most transportables can't.

I've yet to find an incline it won't handle, similarly a decent. Electromechanical brake is very good, not used hand operated brake once. I ordered dual batteries so I'm not always looking down worrying if its time to turn back yet. To be fair you'd probably be fine with just the one, see how you go, have yet to get battery meter off "full" yet. Recharge 1 to 14 hours, on or off scooter. Lights excellent - headlight amazing!
The ride is firm, yes wud be more plush with pneumatics, but personally I'll live without - swapping a torn tube in the middle of nowhere isn't much fun eh. There's a spare spring for the seat shock absorber which I haven't tried yet. You get a bit of tiller rattle going across cobblestones etc but its not as bad as smaller wheeled scooters. Seat adjusts back / forward but you'll need a spanner to adjust height. The riding position for a mid size scooter is surprisingly comfy, seat itself is plush. One thing - the throttle is on the right hand only, you'd have to check if you need it on the left.
Dismantling / re assembly straight forward, largest piece around 1m x 550mm & 31kg so 2 may well be needed to lift. Still small enough to go along a crowded pavement or around supermarket.
Quality seems good - "sturdy?" Time will tell. Welds look great and an ABS deck means no worries about paint scratching.
Value? Against most chinese transportables it looks expensive, against a full size off roader it's half price. I suppose this is in a class of its own at present, an 8mph off road 4 wheel transportable scooter that's also road legal, so only you can decide if its worth the money.

Fits easily into back of say VW camper with rock & roll, deck upright. Measure yours first to be sure.
There's some American vids on you tube on the model if it helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4i
Hi everyone,
Been lucky enough recently to hire an off road scooter for country walks, yes now bitten by the bug! A Tramper & trailer isn't really viable for me so need something car boot transportable. From experience most of the scooters like this aren't really up to the task, they aren't really made for it I guess.
I've seen a Baja Bandit by American Company Pride, they very much market it as an outdoor hiking trail capable scooter. Yes it won't be up to the capability of a Tramper but looks Ok for my needs. Taken the plunge & ordered one, let me know if anyone's interested and I'll post how I get on with it.

View attachment 804834 View attachment 804835
Hi, I would be interested. At the moment have two folding ones,(wife and myself disabled) TGA are very sturdy and they fit a car Boot. Stubbyy

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for the advice on off road transportables, I've written down my thoughts on the Baja Bandit if anyone's thinking of buying one, I've tried to cover everything, sorry if I drag on
🤣

As predicted its not a mud plugger or rock hopper, you won't be crossing sand dunes or ploughed fields - It's fine with say up to 2 inches of gravel or loose stones, just keep the the throttle pinned to push through if needed. Only time I've bottomed out was in deep stones / sand or straddling a ridge, it has a substantial skid plate protecting motor etc so all good, you just adapt your driving to this. Up 2 inch+ kerbs no probs, down even larger.

Scenario - Spent the day at National Trust woodland & heath, it coped fine on all the trails their own Tramper goes round. Ventured off the recommended trails & coped surprisingly well, as mentioned - deep sand you have to predict and keep your speed up to push through. Being slimmer it actually went where the Tramper can't, through the narrow brush & bushed pathways. Hill climbing it was excellent. Dry sunny day, dry dusty terrain. Definitely without doubt goes where most transportables can't.

I've yet to find an incline it won't handle, similarly a decent. Electromechanical brake is very good, not used hand operated brake once. I ordered dual batteries so I'm not always looking down worrying if its time to turn back yet. To be fair you'd probably be fine with just the one, see how you go, have yet to get battery meter off "full" yet. Recharge 1 to 14 hours, on or off scooter. Lights excellent - headlight amazing!
The ride is firm, yes wud be more plush with pneumatics, but personally I'll live without - swapping a torn tube in the middle of nowhere isn't much fun eh. There's a spare spring for the seat shock absorber which I haven't tried yet. You get a bit of tiller rattle going across cobblestones etc but its not as bad as smaller wheeled scooters. Seat adjusts back / forward but you'll need a spanner to adjust height. The riding position for a mid size scooter is surprisingly comfy, seat itself is plush. One thing - the throttle is on the right hand only, you'd have to check if you need it on the left.
Dismantling / re assembly straight forward, largest piece around 1m x 550mm & 31kg so 2 may well be needed to lift. Still small enough to go along a crowded pavement or around supermarket.
Quality seems good - "sturdy?" Time will tell. Welds look great and an ABS deck means no worries about paint scratching.
Value? Against most chinese transportables it looks expensive, against a full size off roader it's half price. I suppose this is in a class of its own at present, an 8mph off road 4 wheel transportable scooter that's also road legal, so only you can decide if its worth the money.

Fits easily into back of say VW camper with rock & roll, deck upright. Measure yours first to be sure.
There's some American vids on you tube on the model if it helps.
Looks like a good option. Main concern is how easy it is to get the largest heaviest part into the boot, what are your observations on this?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back