Odd Mirrors (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
25 yrs tugger, new to MH-ing
Is it usual to have one short arm mirror (offside) and one long arm mirror (near side)? The near side one was replaced before purchase and the cover was just pressed on but fell off later.

Attachments

• 35914466-1B44-4FD6-97E1-138F4176FDF6.jpeg
    35914466-1B44-4FD6-97E1-138F4176FDF6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Robert1351
Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Near side one looks set to take out any obstacles or vice versa. Have to mind pedestrians’ heads I think.

It was fitted last September but I’m thinking of getting the right one put on instead. Would anyone know what the right one would be called? Not long-arm, obviously. X250 Fiat with 2200 wide travel van conversion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robert1351
Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I guess I’ll maybe just refit the mirror protector and it will look ok. At least I get a good view of the n/s rear corner of the van when pulling away or manoeuvring in tight situations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robert1351
Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Thanks. The travel van isn’t very wide (2200mm) and it looks as though neither mirror is quite right but that’s how it’s going to stay for a bit. I might see if I can source some replacements but that might be a bit over the top cost wise.

Upvote 0

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
You should be able to buy after market mirrors for it, cheaper than OME ones.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
frequently see them fairly cheap on ebay, you are looking for the standard van mirrors not the extended. Being slimline but coachbuilt it should have the narrow ones, but the converters buy in bulk with mirrors to suit coach built vans. This happens more often than you think, but the nearside is more expensive than offside, as it includes the radio aerial

don't forget the one you replace has a good value to sell on

oh and make sure you buy the correct type as the angle is pre-set LHD or RHD

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks. The travel van isn’t very wide (2200mm) and it looks as though neither mirror is quite right but that’s how it’s going to stay for a bit. I might see if I can source some replacements but that might be a bit over the top cost wise.
You probably need the mid length ones, there are 3 size, short, mid & long arm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robert1351
Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Thanks Lenny. I’ve worked out that the near side one is, in fact, a medium which makes it the right size. It must be oem because it was fitted at a fiat registered garage and cost £220 Inc VAT. The offside one is actually too close in and has a stick on, round, blind spot mirror on the main section which doesn’t help things most of the time. Do the aftermarket ones have the heat sensor included? I might get one and sell on the pvc short arm one as TheBig1 suggested.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at Wing mirror man.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Our Hymer Exsis is narrow like yours. It came with long arm mirrors, which looked ridiculous, and I lost one in the lanes of Devon to a white van. I then made the decision to change to short arm mirrors on both sides and haven't regretted it. This won't work on all vans as the wider models need the longer arm mirrors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Robert1351
Sep 11, 2021
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Thanks SS. I think that two long-arm ones would be ridiculous. I thought my n/s medium-arm one was actually a long-arm one so I understand what you’re saying. I’m wary of presenting a target for oncoming traffic so my first step is going to be changing the glass in the o/s short-arm mirror to get rid of the convex stick-on blind spot thing. I hope that the actual blind spot section below will be sufficient and I’ll have the whole of the main mirror to look at.
I’ll have a look at Wing Mirror Man to see what my options might be. Interesting that you leap frogged straight to short arms.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back