• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Now Found.... Our first MH (1 Viewer)

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
We are looking for our first MH. Looking for something as late as possible (post 2010) in a 4 berth with the overbed double as we like the idea of keeping a lounge area available (there will only ever be the two of us as the boys have flown the nest)

I like the Elddis Majestic (Autoquest) 145 but SWMBO likes the idea of an end kitchen... We have around 6.5m of length available in one of our dedicated parking slots at home and the leasehold says we need to have a "van" of 10cwt payload or less

Any suggestions or leads would be very welcome. We are based in Hawarden near Chester but would travel for the right motor..

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Make an offer on the ebay one? They can only say yes or no!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That’s an odd clause in your lease. 10 cwt payload is about half ton or 500 kg . This is the payload of most vans and so doesn’t really restrict the size of van.

There should be lots for sale around 6.5m of the type you like. Always offer less than on sale for. Go for a big chunk less and then when they inevitably counter offer you go for a nibble more off. So the rule is, a big bite then a nibble!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Make an offer on the ebay one? They can only say yes or no!
It's on at £29,995 and the broker Paul said the owner would take £29k.. We mulled it over and decided it's slightly too expensive.. I am hoping (outside chance) that it doesn't go this week and they come back to me..

The MH in question was sold only a few months ago by the same broker and ill health is the reason for sale now it seems so I really didn't want to exploit the situation

I've explained our preferred budget to the broker anyway. It's in Shrewsbury so fairly local and we're down in Stafford this weekend so could have arranged a viewing. Apparently the owner wouldn't go lower as he thinks it's worth £30k (he may be right). He bought it for around £30k I think in the first place, maybe £30,995 ( I found the original ad but it's been amended to say "sold" therefore the price is gone)

It's a pity he didn't consider a private sale as I could have negotiated without the middle man then

there is another which is in Preston (not a Majestic but the Autoquest 100) which is on the money but I prefer the higher priced one (I always do)

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
That’s an odd clause in your lease. 10 cwt payload is about half ton or 500 kg . This is the payload of most vans and so doesn’t really restrict the size of van.

There should be lots for sale around 6.5m of the type you like. Always offer less than on sale for. Go for a big chunk less and then when they inevitably counter offer you go for a nibble more off. So the rule is, a big bite then a nibble!
The lease clause is not a major concern as a couple of our neighbours on the development have vans... we're in what used to be a series of barns that were converted to houses; nicely done but we have limited space for parking.

We have 2 allotted parking spaces but do intend to drop to one car as I am probably going to retire next April.. we'll agree the use of a redundant parking space from a neighbour till then we hope...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The MH in question was sold only a few months ago by the same broker and ill health is the reason for sale now it seems so I really didn't want to exploit the situation

I know it’s horrible to be distrustful, but there are too many stories of people buying MHs and then finding problems with them. This could possibly be one of those so you must take care that the ill health story is true,
As you say, would have been good to deal with owner direct then you could check it out.

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
I know it’s horrible to be distrustful, but there are too many stories of people buying MHs and then finding problems with them. This could possibly be one of those so you must take care that the ill health story is true,
As you say, would have been good to deal with owner direct then you could check it out.
The only alarm bell that was ringing was an "upgrade" made by the owner... he had the shower base covered and I intended to check this on the viewing..

Just looked at the Bessacarr sold recently on here and that looks superb.. Maybe I need to up my budget slightly and keep my eyes open on this forum...

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
They have other models coming in. They buy them from dealers who have taken them in as part ex but dont sell used motirhomes at that value ! We got a swift bolero at about 5k cheaper than the cheapest one on ebay at the time. Plus we had loads of extras !!
They are a fair way from here but that doesn't matter I guess if they have the right MH.

I might drop them a line to tell them we are looking... Cheers for the link!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
3 or 4 hours is no distance compared to the miles you will do when you buy one lol. They only view by appointment. So make sure they actually have for sale what youre looking for so you dont waste your journey. You wont get a guarantee etc but you can use their damp meter to check for soundness and climb all over and under it aswell as checking mot history You wont get a guarantee from a private seller either !

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Theyve got an elddis autoquesr 145 2013 due in ??

Vadre Smith

Free Member
Feb 8, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
My Motorhome has been sold by a broker local to me, the ebay ad is his which should be removed soon.
It was originally advertised at £34k but we have had to drop right down for a quick sale as I am emigrating in a few weeks time. Dealers were offering me around £23k to £24k.
Its only a 2 berth, I understood you wanted a 4 berth.

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
We only started looking for a 4 berth for the space.. are you saying that it’s now sold and the eBay ad has therefore expired?

Vadre Smith

Free Member
Feb 8, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Yes it is now sold. The ebay ad should be taken off by the broker soon.

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Thanks for the confirmation, I only saw the camper today and assumed it was a new listing. Good luck with the move! We lived for six years in Cyprus so I envy you escaping the UK

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Price, age, wrong criteria....find the layout/payload that works - older vans might be better built than newer ones...........

I have a 1991 and a 2001 motorhome.........a 2019 model wouldn't be better - just more money

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Price, age, wrong criteria....find the layout/payload that works - older vans might be better built than newer ones...........

I have a 1991 and a 2001 motorhome.........a 2019 model wouldn't be better - just more money
I am a qualified mechanic so I get that but SWMBO doesn’t and she wouldn’t contemplate a good solid older vehicle if there was a shiny newer Motorhome on the cards... it will be a very hard sell but I do agree with you

Out of interest what make would you steer toward if looking at an older unit, Adria or something similar?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am a qualified mechanic so I get that but SWMBO doesn’t and she wouldn’t contemplate a good solid older vehicle if there was a shiny newer Motorhome on the cards... it will be a very hard sell but I do agree with you

I bought our first MH because the wife liked the colour of the upholstery !- fortunately I had everything else sorted anyway.... :clap2:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The only people who lie more than politicians are vehicle dealers - never trust anyone who is in line for some of your money.

In 2016 we bought our first motorhome, a 12/1999 Le Voyageur. As far as I can tell the only advantages for buying a new/nearly new MH are

- bragging about the reg number

- there will be less money for your children

neither of which is a really good reason imho.

My advice?

Find the layout that suits you, in a vehicle in excellent condition, if it is not a Hymer then it might be a Hymermobil (there are not many LV around).

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
My Elddis 155 is still for now I'm back from France
Not exactly what you asked for but a very nice motorhome.
Phil

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
My Elddis 155 is still for now I'm back from France
Not exactly what you asked for but a very nice motorhome.
Phil
Looks a little too long for us (we need something around 6.5m ideally but I'd take a chance and go to 7.0m) but I'll check it out

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I bought our first MH because the wife liked the colour of the upholstery !- fortunately I had everything else sorted anyway.... :clap2:
I think a lot of women choose the Motorhome on the colour of the upholstery.Older Hymers seemed to always have a dark blue upholstery, and I certainly couldn't live with that. I know you can change the upholstery, but first impressions and all that just make me cold.
I love light and bright something like this IMG_4592.jpg

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
The wife dismissed looking at our 2011 Fiat Trigano because of the light coloured upholstery, I kept going back to look at it in autotrader as it caught my eye. it was only because we looked at a real mess of a van that looked good in the pics and video that we went to have a look at it as we were in the area.
Glad we did as it was by far the best we’d seen, 2 years of fun Just gone!

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
I've only just realised that the site is picking up on member locations by virtue of their data. I dial into a VPN for work, you can guess where it is based.. on the company laptop i’m In Germany, on the phone i’m in Blighty (I'm in North Wales)

Back on topic, I have found a fabulous MH but thanks for all the feedback I have had to date. I am buying from a trusted Funster on this site once a habitation check has been completed (I'm sure with hindsight that I'll regret the check and consider it waste of money). She's a little more than I had expected to spend but it was a no-brainer :)

We are looking forward to some fun travels in the UK initially once the MH has relocated to Hawarden before SWMBO plucks up courage and gives permission to venture into Europe!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
SWMBO Decided we would go to Europe and we did in our second full year of owning ours, camped in Belgium, Netherlands, France at Easter.
Central France in August.
Went via Eurotunnel both times, so easy no delays for us, got on an earlier train every time.
Price wasn’t much different than the ferry’s at the times we wanted to travel.
The biggest bonus it doesn’t matter if it’s blowing a gale they still run.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back