Northern Spain to the south (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Will sites be open Oct -Nov?

We will be working our way from France to the South of Spain but would like to tour around including popping into Madrid to visit some relations.

Suggestions on good places to stop for a few days at a time. Need sites with EHU as the fridge doesn't work on gas.

Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You could do worse than getting a copy of the route of the Camino de Santiago.
Pamplona, Burgos and towns in between.
See the real Spain, (and get the real hospitality)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Except Park4Night is better... ;) ;) Though for you ACSI maybe better still...

To get you started there is a good site (ACSI) open all year at Zarautz, on a headland overlooking the bay just over the French border in the Basque country. Open all year.

Gran Camping Zarautz​

A nice site on the cliff as you say with a zillion steps down to the beach. The OP made the point of needing EHU and Park4night is more focused on wild spots without services. Useful if that's what you want but otherwise full of a lot of distraction.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Yeah - you try that at the moment!!

Don't get carried away by a few stories on here or elsewhere about everywhere being full. We were touring across France last week and wild camped for a few days and stayed on out of town aires for a few days. Plenty of space.

We're off next week for a month or so into Spain, on the coast it will be busier but everywhere else will be quiet.

In October/November it will be really quiet..

Gran Camping Zarautz​

A nice site on the cliff as you say with a zillion steps down to the beach. The OP made the point of needing EHU and Park4night is more focused on wild spots without services. Useful if that's what you want but otherwise full of a lot of distraction.

We just use the filters to remove the distractions...

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Oct/Nov hardly any sites open in France and Northern Spain, Southern Spain they will all be open.

VXman You started this thread in Feb, have you managed to sort the fridge?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Extramadura is beautiful, Salamanca, Casares, all have good aires, always open. But if you need EHU ?
Shame because you can stay in fantastic places for free or a few Euros.
Phil
'Extra madura, senor?'
'Naw, just a normal sized portion, thanks ...' :LOL:

Steve

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
For Madrid there is an excellent ACSI member site open all year at Aranjuez just south of Madrid. The town itself is a great place to visit but it has a frequent & fast train link direct into Madrid. If you stay make sure you visit the Royal Palaces. You can walk into the town from the site through the park

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Will sites be open Oct -Nov?

We will be working our way from France to the South of Spain but would like to tour around including popping into Madrid to visit some relations.

Suggestions on good places to stop for a few days at a time. Need sites with EHU as the fridge doesn't work on gas.

Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.
I think if you intend to tour Europe frequently youā€™re better off changing your fridge to an absorption type that runs on 12 v 240 v and gas. Otherwise you are missing out on the wonderful world of aires.
Iā€™m being serious.
Phil

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Is this the Spanish version of lesser Antilles por favor
Phil
Yes, they're like little grains of rice, if it's what I'm thinking of, but I find them a bit too hard for me false teeth, and Elaine doesn't like me taking me teeth out at the table, especially in a restaurant ...'

'Garcon, Garcon ... 'Ere, why do them waiters all have the same name,eh?' ;) :LOL:

Steve

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Yes, they're like little grains of rice, if it's what I'm thinking of, but I find them a bit too hard for me false teeth, and Elaine doesn't like me taking me teeth out at the table, especially in a restaurant ...'

'Garcon, Garcon ... 'Ere, why do them waiters all have the same name,eh?' ;) :LOL:

Steve
False teeth are great for crimping pies. :giggle:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Albert Steptoe did all the time.
'You dehrtee old man ...'
'Arald, where's me teef? Can't go dencin' without me teef. 'Ere, 'ope there's birds there, not skinny ones. Can't stand scrawny birds ... '

Not that I watched many episodes, you understand? :LOL:

Steve

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I think if you intend to tour Europe frequently youā€™re better off changing your fridge to an absorption type that runs on 12 v 240 v and gas. Otherwise you are missing out on the wonderful world of aires.
Iā€™m being serious.
Phil

I have one already. It's only 6 months old. It doesn't work on gas cause it's broke and I am struggling to get it fixed. Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post. It's booked in at the dealer next week but to be honest I am not getting my hopes up. It has been there once already. Thetford dealers are all to 'busy' to help. I'm not going to hang on here in the UK all Autumn waiting to get it fixed. Life must go on.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Oct/Nov hardly any sites open in France and Northern Spain, Southern Spain they will all be open.

VXman You started this thread in Feb, have you managed to sort the fridge?
A little late to reply to this but....no fridge. It fixed. Can't get a Thetford dealer took at it and the dealer can't work out what's wrong. Now in Spain just having to cope with EHU as much as possible and the odd night off grid keeping the fridge going with freezer blocks. Will hassle the dealer again when back in December. Thetford are useless.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
A little late to reply to this but....no fridge. It fixed. Can't get a Thetford dealer took at it and the dealer can't work out what's wrong. Now in Spain just having to cope with EHU as much as possible and the odd night off grid keeping the fridge going with freezer blocks. Will hassle the dealer again when back in December. Thetford are useless.
Where in Spain are you? If you're anywhere near Benicarlo, there is a really good Motorhome Engineer, autocaravanstambo [00 34 964 47 50 46] at Avenida Papa Luna [Urbanisation Mar I Pins] 402, Benicarlo. Tambo [Ramon] and his wife are motorhomers themselves. I was told by another Spanish Motorhome Engineer that our fridge was gubbed and I would need a new replacement, because it was obsolete. It took Ramon 2 days to get the new element to get it working on 12v and EHU ... ā‚¬156 for parts, labour and call out to site in Jan 2019 ...

Email info@autocaravanastambo.com

Steve

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Where in Spain are you? If you're anywhere near Benicarlo, there is a really good Motorhome Engineer, autocaravanstambo [00 34 964 47 50 46] at Avenida Papa Luna [Urbanisation Mar I Pins] 402, Benicarlo. Tambo [Ramon] and his wife are motorhomers themselves. I was told by another Spanish Motorhome Engineer that our fridge was gubbed and I would need a new replacement, because it was obsolete. It took Ramon 2 days to get the new element to get it working on 12v and EHU ... ā‚¬156 for parts, labour and call out to site in Jan 2019 ...

Email info@autocaravanastambo.com

Steve

We are 6km from Benicarlo!!

Tempting to contact him. The only thing making me think twice is that it is only 6months old, broke after 2. It really should be a dealer or Thetford issue.

How is his English?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We are 6km from Benicarlo!!

Tempting to contact him. The only thing making me think twice is that it is only 6months old, broke after 2. It really should be a dealer or Thetford issue.

How is his English?
Very good, and he can express his opinion on English M/Homes in quite robust terms ... :LOL:. His wife's English is quite limited, so if you can, drive to his premises. If you are coming from Bemicarlo towards Peniscola, cross over the bridge[M/Home Aire on right, Bonpreu Supermarket on right] and look for Hotel Rosalas. Tambo's place is about 15m further on from the Hotel on the opposite side of the road [sign is only about 1.5m tall and easy to miss]. Tambo's workshop is under his house on a wee side street,. Easiest is to park by the hotel and walk along footpath to find his premises.

He is very good, but, because of this, very busy. If he is busy or out, you may need to return the following day, or even around 6pm CET for him to make an initial inspection.

Steve

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Very good, and he can express his opinion on English M/Homes in quite robust terms ... :LOL:. His wife's English is quite limited, so if you can, drive to his premises. If you are coming from Bemicarlo towards Peniscola, cross over the bridge[M/Home Aire on right, Bonpreu Supermarket on right] and look for Hotel Rosalas. Tambo's place is about 15m further on from the Hotel on the opposite side of the road [sign is only about 1.5m tall and easy to miss]. Tambo's workshop is under his house on a wee side street,. Easiest is to park by the hotel and walk along footpath to find his premises.

He is very good, but, because of this, very busy. If he is busy or out, you may need to return the following day, or even around 6pm CET for him to make an initial inspection.

Steve
He was very quick at getting back to me. Fitted me in today. Currently chilling on the beach while he is trying to diagnose. Hope he can sort it. Seems a great guy do far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
'You dehrtee old man ...'
'Arald, where's me teef? Can't go dencin' without me teef. 'Ere, 'ope there's birds there, not skinny ones. Can't stand scrawny birds ... '

Not that I watched many episodes, you understand? :LOL:

Steve
Showing your age,,BUSBYšŸ˜šŸ˜

Sep 29, 2013
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Extramadura is beautiful, Salamanca, Casares, all have good aires, always open. But if you need EHU ?
Shame because you can stay in fantastic places for free or a few Euros.
Phil
Extramadura is the very best of Spain.The de la vera villages are something to see.Spent weeks there wilding never moved on.A nice campsite in Madrigal de la vera. Youtube their natural swimming pool stunning free tapas in all bars

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back