S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
Hi Folks,

I have a Burstner T620 on 2008 Ducato 130mj with Electroblok 99 and AD-01

It was starting ok (although slowly) so I replaced the starter battery.

But it failed to start on the new battery, even after 2 good spins on the key.

Am I missing something ? Are there any obvious reasons why it wont start ?

Could a fault on the EBL99 cause it not to fire, even tho turning over fine ?

Would an immobiliser allow engine to spin, but not fire ?

All response gratefully accepted.

Steve

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
You can turn it over for well over 5 seconds if needed.
Does it have a an immobiliser?

Try the 2 prong thing in the socket just in case as you turn it over maybe ? (wild guess)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Ebl is not connected to engine starting problems its purely to run the habitation and charging circuits with a new battery its not connected
If its turning over slowly I would check for bad connections earth strap to engine and lastly starterpossibly immobiliser problems but you need to see if there's any fault codes
Easy things to try are easy start or jumping from another vehicle with earth clamp direct to engine

Reactions: Jim
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
The EBL has no affect on the starter system. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a poor battery connection on the Negative pole. The standard fitting had perished the dash lights worked but the connection was unable to support the starting current. I bough a new connector and made a new plate for the auxiliary fittings.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
PS may be a fuel problem, have you got fuel in it

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Could a fault on the EBL99 cause it not to fire, even tho turning over fine ?
No... Its nothing to do with the engine as mentioned above, its just a control panel for the habitation side of things.
Would an immobiliser allow engine to spin, but not fire ?
Yes.. I had this once on a car. Turned out the chip in the key had lost its code. If i held the spare key next to it as i tried to start then it would go..

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
just re-read your post, could be problem with the immobilizer not reading your key after disconnection of the battery

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have you multiplied by 4.52 to achieve the price per gallon!
Then you may think about inflation, and mpg

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Try disconnecting the engine battery again for at least five mins. Then reconnect, turn the key on to the first position do not try to start it straight away. Look to see if a symbol with a padlock shows on the dashboard. If so it indicates an immobiliser fault

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
Just read this
thanks, my battery is under the floor in front of P/S chair. I dont think there's any fuel near there, but will look again
and I've no idea what green key or red key is, not sure if I should have a Key Code Card

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Another thread that may help

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When ours wouldn't start after new cab battery fitted it was because of the immobiliser. I had to send a text message to the van to disable the non-start as fitted by VanBitz.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know it's bleeding obvious, but try the other key

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
it's bleeding obvious, but try the other key
was not obvious to me, but it's on my list when I go to van tomorrow (30 mins journey).

and this on top of realising it needs cambelt & 2 tyres before journey to Scotland in 5 days time

reminds me of the saying about 2 good days of owning a boat (the first, and the last !)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
was not obvious to me, but it's on my list when I go to van tomorrow (30 mins journey).

and this on top of realising it needs cambelt & 2 tyres before journey to Scotland in 5 days time

reminds me of the saying about 2 good days of owning a boat (the first, and the last !)
Been there with the boat and got so frustrated that I stored it over winter 30 years ago and never went back. May still be there on a friend's farm, but probably full of chickens now. At least it has found a good use at last

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
Try disconnecting the engine battery again for at least five mins. Then reconnect, turn the key on to the first position do not try to start it straight away. Look to see if a symbol with a padlock shows on the dashboard. If so it indicates an immobiliser fault
Thanks
Will try this tomorrow . . . .

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
Hi Folks,
Many thanks for all your input. Based on your suggestions, I disconnected the Battery for 10 mins.
Reconnected and there was a lock symbol on the dash - as you predicted !

I had to remove keys so the prongy thing would go into it's socket (thankfully it did not initiate self destruct sequence).

It did play Colonel Bogie, but padlock was still showing when I turned ign on again.
I turned ign off again & put the pronger in. This time it just beeped twice, so back to ign on - PADLOCK GONE "yeeeeha"

Turned key further and she burst into life after 2 revolutions. Thanks muchly for all your helps.

Interestingly ( when holding the spare key nearby as suggested ) I accidentally discovered that the spare alarm fob does not work so thanks for that too.

( I guess there must be a way to split fob to renew fob battery ? )

So now she's in getting a shiny new cambelt ( and auxilliary belts - another good idea I read on these forums )

And then, heading for the frozen northlands of Scotland this weekend with relief of a relatively simple outcome.

Watch this space

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back