noise coming from a new mppt controller (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I replaced my PWM solar charge controller with an mppt controller today, everything seems to be working fine although I can hear an audible constant high pitched noise coming from it all the time, it's not at all loud but I'm just wondering if that's the norm.
This is the controller
IMG_0560.JPG

It's barely audible but now I've heard it I'm noticing it, the previous charger didn't make any noise at all so just wondered if anyone else has noticed this??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Always thought something had to be connected to the power out points, maybe nowt to do with it, just saying.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Always thought something had to be connected to the power out points, maybe nowt to do with it, just saying.

I did wonder that, I've just wired it the same as the existing controller that was there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
How big are those wires --- or how big is the solar panel?
I would run a couple of wires to the starter battery from the empty connections and charge that as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doesn't need a load connection, looks like the regulator from Maxim if so not heard a noise from mine but my high frequency hearing not that good. Could be one of the coils whiseling, along as its not getting too hot probably nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
How big are those wires --- or how big is the solar panel?
I would run a couple of wires to the starter battery from the empty connections and charge that as well.

It's a 140w panel but was thinking of adding another 150w panel as well but I'll see what it's like with the new controller first. That's a good idea regarding the starter battery, didn't realise that would be feasible.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The cable you have used from the panel looks small. 4mm is the most used size because of volts drop in the length but more importantly the amount of current (amps) that can be available from the panel.

You would certainly need a minimum cable size of 4mm for 290W panels.they could be producing 20+ amps

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't connect the starter battery to the load terminals, it could really confuse the device and I would wonder what would happen when you come to start the engine.
If you want to charge the engine battery use a Battery Master from Eddie van Bitz, the well known Dutch Funster. :) I have one and it works well and isn't expensive. :)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I wouldn't connect the starter battery to the load terminals, it could really confuse the device and I would wonder what would happen when you come to start the engine.
If you want to charge the engine battery use a Battery Master from Eddie van Bitz, the well known Dutch Funster. :) I have one and it works well and isn't expensive. :)

Thanks for the info, is there much involved in fitting a battery master, I'm just wondering if I could do that myself, does it come with all the necessary cabling and instructions?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I replaced my PWM solar charge controller with an mppt controller today, everything seems to be working fine although I can hear an audible constant high pitched noise coming from it all the time, it's not at all loud but I'm just wondering if that's the norm.
This is the controller
View attachment 170494
It's barely audible but now I've heard it I'm noticing it, the previous charger didn't make any noise at all so just wondered if anyone else has noticed this??
I have the same controller and it also makes a hardly audible buzzing noise. Its been running fine for the past year including 6 months when the van was in Spain last winter.
Cheers
Ed
@Techno

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I have the same controller and it also makes a hardly audible buzzing noise. Its been running fine for the past year including 6 months when the van was in Spain last winter.
Cheers
Ed
@Techno

Thanks Ed, I'm glad it's not just me!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the info, is there much involved in fitting a battery master, I'm just wondering if I could do that myself, does it come with all the necessary cabling and instructions?
They are very easy to fit although I thought there were instructions on his website but I can't see them now. https://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/
Give them a call for advice on fitting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back