Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I thought I would post this for interest to anybody looking for NHS treatment outside the UK using their MH.

In August this year my wife had a small ‘Gyni’ operation carried out under the NHS in a brand new Calais Hospital (Centre Hospitalier de Calais) in France. The referral from GP to operation was 6 weeks.

How it works

When you are referred by your GP for any treatment under a Consultant, you as the patient have the option to choosing which Consultant you wish to see and this is normally at your local Acute hospital. You are then given an appointment which today could be several weeks from referral. (Anna’s case 6 weeks to see consultant, goodness knows when operation would take place)

Your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) have set this contract up at the local hospital. You as a patient do not have to go with that Consultant and you have the choice to look round England and find another appointment if it is more convenient. Your CCG, will then allow you to have the treatment carried out at the hospital of your choice.

Kent CCG, has linked up with Centre Hospitalier de Calais) in France to offer treatment under the NHS. Such treatments are Gyni, Hip and Knee replacements and a few other procedures.

So if when you have a referral and the hospital offers treatment you can opt for this hospital

Now the cost to get to and from Calais for your appointments is not paid for by the NHS.

In Anna’s case, our GP emailed the referral letter and a few days later we had an email offering us various dates to see a consultant. Two weeks after referral we had a day trip to Calais via Eurotunnel (The hospital is five minutes from Citi Europe) for a 11am appointment.

The Consultant spoke good English (As required under the contract). Anna had all scans and blood tests carried out on the day. It was agreed surgery was required. The Consultant booked surgery at an agreed date four weeks later. Then it was of to see the Consultant Anaesthetist.

Then out of the hospital to Calais Wine to stock up and return train.

Four weeks later.

Booked to attend hospital for 10.00am. Took MH over the night before staying at Citi Europe. Large car park at hospital easy for MH to park (Arrive early to guarantee space)

Checked in at 10.00am. Surgery at 1.00pm discharged at 4.30pm.

Return travel via tunnel.

Procedure complete and full detailed letter of lab results a week later.

Hope this can be useful for someone.

We live in Essex and travel time to Tunnel 50 minutes. Clearly process may not suit everyone who lives some distance away but for those in the South East close to tunnel may help you out.

Come back to me if anybody wishes to know more as I have a detailed NHS PDF covering this and I do not know how to attach it to this post

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you click on the "Upload a file" button you can attach the PDF file. :)

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009