newbie - van buying & conversion budget help needed (1 Viewer)

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Hi all, new to the forum and to campervans so any advice welcome as I plan my first campervan build.

I have 3 young kids (2, 7 & 9) plus my wife and I so looking for a large van (LWB) with high roof and some clever bedding/seating ideas which I’m working on.

Below is my rough thoughts/prices but would welcome any comments (good or bad) from people who know a lot more than I do!!!

Van
Budget £10-11k – thinking of LWB VW Crafter or Sprinter. Open to suggestions as the Ducato and Boxer seem like options – I was just swaying towards German for reliability. Seen a few ex Police ones at decent price – any thoughts? To be fair i’d need to get a higher mileage Crafter/Sprinter versus lower mileage Ducato or Boxer.

Must have’s…
5 seatbelts
Sleep 5 (3 kids could go in a double)
Heating

I’m budgeting for the following materials (some is a bit of a guess)

van
£10,000.00​
insulation
£160.00​
plywood
£275.00​
carpet
£150.00​
window
£340.00​
roof ventillation
£300.00​
sink/hob
£285.00​
toilet
£200.00​
heater
£500.00​
electrics
£400.00​
swivel seat base
£300.00​
blinds
£100.00​
bed/seating
£1,000.00​
mattress
£200.00​
furniture
£1,000.00​
lighting
£150.00​
Fridge
£200.00​

Sorry for the long and detailed post. I’ve probably missed off things or under estimated in some areas.

Appreciate your thoughts on whether this sounds ok or not cost wise!

Looking to do most of the work myself, although may need some help with electrics.

Thanks

Russell

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Firstly do you have a C1 licence as with 3 kids you are going to need a heavy chassis at least 4000kg.
Tread carefully with Crafter/Sprinter they suffer quite a bit with poor paintwork and rust it's only the last few years they have been galvinized. Ducato's have been galvinized since 2006.
The Ducato has a wider body which gives you more options with bed arrangements.

You haven't allowed anything for water tanks and plumbing.
Even the smallest fridge will be £500 but lighting should be a lot less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Good thing about Ducato is dash mounted gearlever and handbrake on right of driver seat. When you fit the two front swivel seats it will give good access between the front and back of the van. You may want to consider a swivelling double pasenger seat.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unless you keep the double front seat usually found in vans then I suspect that you will have a problem with needing 5 forward facing seats with full seat belts. If you do use the double seat and unless it swivels then finding the space to seat 5 in comfort will also be a problem. Also I know from experience that children keep growing so a double bed might be okay for a while but not long term.
I don’t wish to put you off doing a conversion but you may be better off looking for a coach built to work on which may already have what you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: 68c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

sounds like the Ducato could be a good option as I’m planning on puttinga bed widthways so the wider the better.

was planning on the double swivel seat for practical reasons and possible a rock n roll bed(with belts) to make up the other 2 seats and 2nd bed.

noted on thecost of a fridge and water tank/plumbing- forgot about that.

I had a look at coachbuilds but not within budget and il be using the van to travel to commute a couple of days a week so swaying towards conversion(plus I think it sounds fun!)

I just have a standard license and not c1 - I had no idea that would be required so will check up more on that - thanks

im sure there will be loads more questions to follow!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back