Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
Hi all,

New on here, we have been motorhoming now for 2 years. Although much work has also been done to our old bus along the way, "more on that later" we spent 5 weeks on the Isle of Man from May into June this year taking in the TT with some scuba diving and sight seeing. what a fantastic place and very motorhome friendly.
Its not all been good as we have had a couple of problems with unscrupulous suppliers and have an ongoing situation now, many would not believe, but more on that later.

Our motorhome is based on the Citroen Relay 2003 2.8HDI and is a Rohill tag axle with a massive 5250 kilo weight capacity, it weighs approx 4600 now, but we still have a 180 litre water tank to fit, so that’s going to eat into our payload by another 180 kilos.
We are however going to shave a little weight off with some other modifications.

Now the interesting part!!! After driving our old girl around it became apparent that due to having such a stiff chassis, (not complaining) but to give you an idea; When you gently pull off a kerb, you end up with one wheel in the air and unless your on a little incline are left unable to go either forward or backwards, much to the amusement of any body watching.

The open Diff is next to useless, so we have worked with Quaife engineering and have developed a Limited Slip Diff.

What a transformation!!!! thats all i can say. Just a caveat, were not here to sell this, but its worth a mention.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:welco:

I thought I read a few weeks ago that they had put up obstacles to win camping on the I O M?

Is that not the case then we will have to make our way over there soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
There was talk whilst we were there that weight restrictions had been placed on the side streets of Douglas to 3500 kilos. With so many beautiful places on the island anyway i cant understand why any one would would to park in Douglas anyway, its a nice beach, but the town centre just looks like any shopping mall you see everywhere.
We wild or not so wild, camped at Port St Mary, Port Erin, and on Ramsey,s front by the swimming pool (Handy for a shower) many people in vans coming over for the TT and stay on for the whole summer, fantastic place, love it, have already booked for scuba diving next year.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
A jolly good day to you all, windy last night i hope you are all intact and well this morning.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! If the traction control fitted to some Fiat MHs could be retrofitted that would do the same job. It senses if a driving wheel is slipping and applies the brake to that wheel only so drive is transferred to the other wheel. It isn't very subtle I think but would get you off a kerb.
However, if not fitted during manufacture I suspect it might be awkward to retrofit.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
Hi DBK, Thanks, you are correct a retrofit traction control fitting kit would indeed do a similar job, any idea who might manufacture or offer such a kit????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back